996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do I have 2 Issues or 3 Issues to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 PM
Azraely
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I have 2 Issues or 3 Issues to fix?

I'm having 2 or 3 issues with my 99 C2 Tiptronic.

With the weather here warming up, I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my radiators fans were not coming on at low speed. I diagnosed the issue to both ballast resistors being shot as the fans do come on at high speed. I've ordered 2 news ones, just waiting on them to arrive.

Then the other night I was driving home at night and noticed when I turned on my headlights they were extremely dim, as in the DRL were 10x brighter. I tried starting and stopping the car at a light once or twice, which did not clear the problem. Then when I got home I played around with the headlight switch and noticed the front and rear fog indicators were not lighting up, and when I pulled the stalk for temporary high beams they come on, but when pushed to remain on they did not engage nor did the blue dash light come on. I pulled the key out and put in back in, restarted and everything worked fine. Reading up on these types of issue points to the ignition switch, so I also have that on order to change out.

Now I come to the AC. When I push the AC button, the AC icon lights up, the engine Idle increases and I can feel the engine adjust, but after say 1 or 2 seconds the idle returns back to normal as if the AC is off. I put a cheap AC refill gauge I had on the low side of the system and I have 30 psi, I don't know if this is enough or not, but there is at least something in the system. When looking at the AC pulley while someone pushes the button it does not seem to engage.

So I'm wondering if the lack of low speed fans or the ignition switch issues could be causing the AC not to function.

I'm going to fix the ballast resistors and the ignition switch before worrying too much about the AC issues, but figured I might as well be thinking ahead while I wait for those parts to arrive.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:38 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Headlight/fog light issue could be the headlight switch as well. Same story as with ignition switch. Replace it for peace of mind.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 764 Posts

Low pressure side is between 1.4 Bar and 1.7 Bar, or 20.3 psi and 24.6 psi, with engine running at 2000 RPM and compressor engaged. So it looks like you are okay there. I think the DME/ECU disengages the AC compressor if it detects the fans don't come on. So you are correct in replacing the ballast resistors. All sorts of gremlins result from the ignition switch, so a good idea to replace that as well. With those replacement parts you should be able to get it sorted. Like said, a headlight switch may be in order as well. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

My car had an extra "position" as the key effectively over rotated in the barrel of the ignition switch which effectively let the engine run but many other things did not function. I would try that first, you may fix many things with one part.

Make sure you get the right one for your car, relatively easy to replace, just need to be a contortionist.

As an aside, I also had an issue with one of the headlight electrical connectors not seating correctly, which meant fogs did not work, I found this when I changed headlights for safety.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Azraely
Advanced

Default AC fixed

My resistors came in on Friday. I only got time to install the driver side ballast resistor. Once installed, I fired up the car and hit the AC button and the fan turned on at low speed. Issue number 1 solved as expected. Popped the engine compartment and checked the AC compressor and it was spinning as well. Issue number 3 solved.

So it appears that if both ballast resistors are not working and you have no low speed fan activation your AC compressor will not turn on.

Now just waiting to get my ignition switch and some time to do the passenger side resistor. Glad there is no issue with the AC system and just 2 relatively easy fixes.

Quick Reply: Do I have 2 Issues or 3 Issues to fix?