Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Costs: 996 Carrera vs Saab 9-3 Viggen (or other cars in general)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 12:18 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 658 Posts

If you get off on combatting massive torque steer it's an interesting sedan I guess. Last gasp for the old Saab. I had a 1968 Saab 95; it had about 75HP and still torque steered. Fun to drive through fields though. And my son loved the rear facing seat.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:44 PM
BimmerGuy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbornem
How does one even go about finding a random post from the middle of a 7 year old thread? What were you searching for when you saw this, and decided you just had to contribute to 2017?
Just legitimately curious.
https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-...boxster-3.html
Ah, another Saab performance car driver. I've got a Viggen. Power and acceleration of the Viggen and the Boxster are about the same, but the delivery is completely different. The Boxster is rear wheel drive and naturally aspirated, the Viggen is front wheel drive and high pressure turbo. The Boxster power delivery is effortless and linear all the way to redline. The Viggen is working much harder (noticeable because it has sport motor and transmission mounts), but has virtually no turbo lag because of very clever tweaking of the throttle controls. Of course the biggest difference is rear wheel versus front wheel drive. The steering of the Boxster is much more crisp especially under acceleration. As long as you can get the power on the road (real men don't have traction control) the steering is extremely effortless. The Viggen has serious difficulties putting all its power down through the front wheels, because of the high torque the wheels not only spin but also suffer a lot from torque steering. The Viggen is a real handful when driving it to the max. Still, I love driving both cars, the Box for its sportiness, the Viggen for its sheer brutality. The Box is more fun because the top goes down, the Viggen is more because its a stealth fighter (my greatest joy is smoking clueless BMW's).
Old 01-27-2024, 10:48 AM
BimmerGuy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
If you get off on combatting massive torque steer it's an interesting sedan I guess. Last gasp for the old Saab. I had a 1968 Saab 95; it had about 75HP and still torque steered. Fun to drive through fields though. And my son loved the rear facing seat.
IDK about "getting off on combatting massive torque steer" stock the car is silly with it but I *DO* know about a big rear ASB and steering clamp/brace/poly bushing make a HUGE difference because I drove a Viggen with Stage 2 and those mods and it was night and day. Those coming soon. So I have my modded 535is for RWD and my Viggen for FWD and the Missus weighs in with another Swedish FWD for good measure. Next up, 986 Boxster. We'll need to park that one in the backyard or the neighbors will be pissed LOL. If you want to be sure to beat a Stage One Viggen on the highway it had better be an S though. Ask the 987 Cayman I just walked this week.

Last edited by BimmerGuy; 01-27-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Costs: 996 Carrera vs Saab 9-3 Viggen (or other cars in general)