Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after service

Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Yes I just bought one for mine , no chance of collapsing the filter as it's the all I one metal canister filter you use with the spin on adapter and also the benefit of full filtration with no bypass!
That filter can collapse just as much as the cartridge one.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The car should go back to that shop and have them figure out what happened. People make mistakes all the time, how they come through after it is what makes a good shop from a bad one. There is also the chance they didn't make a mistake either and you have another problem.
this
Old 03-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

was this an experienced shop? Could they have pulled out the pressure bypass plug by mistake and reinstalled it incorrectly?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
That filter can collapse just as much as the cartridge one.
I was meaning on install as could be on this occasion the cartridge one can twist , closing the pleats and reducing oil flow , how does a metal cased filter collapse, I haven't heard of this?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Could they have accidentally tried to drain the oil via the pressure relief spring and the spring fell out and they didn't put it back in properly or at all?

I recall another member on here accidentally did that when attempting their first oil change.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
I was meaning on install as could be on this occasion the cartridge one can twist , closing the pleats and reducing oil flow , how does a metal cased filter collapse, I haven't heard of this?
Twist during instal??? Is there a ducumented case for this?

Cut open a metal case filter and you'll understand. On the inside it looks like the cartridge filter. Filters usually collaps when they get clogged.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Could they have accidentally tried to drain the oil via the pressure relief spring and the spring fell out and they didn't put it back in properly or at all?

I recall another member on here accidentally did that when attempting their first oil change.
Huh???
Drain the oil via the pressure relief spring?
Lucy, splain?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
Huh???
Drain the oil via the pressure relief spring?
Lucy, splain?
I'm trying to find the thread, someone on here went to change their oil but instead of undoing the drain plug they un-did the bolt that holds in the relief spring. Obviously they couldn't drain the oil like that but rather they thought that was the drain plug.

Perhaps they made the same mistake and re-installed the spring incorrectly causing low pressure?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I'm trying to find the thread, someone on here went to change their oil but instead of undoing the drain plug they un-did the bolt that holds in the relief spring. Obviously they couldn't drain the oil like that but rather they thought that was the drain plug.

Perhaps they made the same mistake and re-installed the spring incorrectly causing low pressure?
If a shop did this I would hope that whoever worked on the car gets fired and banished from working on cars forever! I could maybe see someone doing it diy with no mechanical knowledge, but not a shop worker / mechanic. The oil drain plug on a 996 is so blatantly obvious you can't miss it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless I am completely misunderstanding this, the relief spring is inside the oil filter cover and that has a sealed bottom.
Where is there a bolt?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:00 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe they are talking about the spring bolt on the oil pump??!?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:17 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
Unless I am completely misunderstanding this, the relief spring is inside the oil filter cover and that has a sealed bottom.
Where is there a bolt?
The relief spring is behind a bolt on the bottom of the oil pump housing , if you look under the car it's near the engine mounting bracket and exhaust system , further forward in the middle of the sump is the drain plug for changing the oil then further forward still towards the right is the oil canister, which does have a bypass valve inside but it's inaccessible without removing the canister itself ! But I can see how you might get confused, I think the suggestion is that the oil relief spring bolt on the bottom of the oil pump may have been removed instead of the drain plug, behind this bolt is three parts, a spring with a plastic dowel inside it and a piston, if the spring had broken or is missing, will definitely cause problems as when proper oil pressure is reached the piston moves down as the spring compresses to send oil back to the sump, if the spring is broken the piston will move easier, hence low oil pressure
I think you need to check this assembly to see if everything is there and spring looks ok
Check what oil was used then either change it or drain it and check the filter also and the canister as the bypass valve at the bottom can fail also!
Have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge as your pressure sensor might be faulty
Maybe remove the sumo and check the oil pick up is clear.
Be careful about driving it as at this stage it could be an easy fix to restore pressure but if the engine runs without enough pressure it could cause major damage like cams being starved of oil and there are no cam bearings in these engines, the cams run directly on surfaces machined into the cylinder head, if they get damaged the head is scrap and it's going to start costing a lot
Not trying to scare you just be very careful!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the oil pump... look under your rear bumper... you'll see this on the back of the motor...
The relief spring is under the nut to the right of the picture... it faces down when the pump is mounted to the motor.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-1972
Here's the oil pump... look under your rear bumper... you'll see this on the back of the motor...
The relief spring is under the nut to the right of the picture... it faces down when the pump is mounted to the motor.
Well dang, that explains the bolt I scraped on the asphalt the other day when going out of a driveway.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:11 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what it looks while laying under the back bumper. It's an easy way to drain a little oil if you overfill BTW.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after service