Help valuate a '02 C4S w/ 30K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help valuate a '02 C4S w/ 30K miles

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 C4S w/ about 30K miles on it. Manual Transmission.

Grey w/ black interior.

MSRP $85K
Options:
Rear Window Wiper
Wheel Caps w Colored Crest
Full Leather
Advanced Technic Package
Heated Front Seats Package

NEGATIVE:
Car was originally RED, but was completely color changed to Grey. The quality is excellent. All door jams, inside of frunk and trunk are all painted. You could not tell unless you were told.

NO paper service records. CarFax shows some records, but waiting for detailed print out to see if there is any mention of IMS.

I am in the market for a Cayman, but this could be a good value as well.

Owner wants an offer. Color change and no service records is my biggest issue. What do you guys think?

Last edited by MrSlacker; 03-12-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:34 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Based on the prices I've seen in the 2017 sale thread that's a steal (edit: originally the post asked if this car was worth 25k, hence my comment. Its since been revised). Assuming it's in the condition you'd expect at 30k miles both mechanically and cosmetically.

i can't speak to the color changes impact on value. That's going to come down to personal preference maybe.

Last edited by charlieaf92; 03-13-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Based on the prices I've seen in the 2017 sale thread that's a steal. Assuming it's in the condition you'd expect at 30k miles both mechanically and cosmeticly.

i can't speak to the color changes impact on value. That's going to come down to personal preference maybe.
Yeah I looked at some for sale threads, but they don't always paint correct image because we don't know how much they really sold for.

It is a 6-speed.

Removed ball park price from OP to get more subjective answers.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:51 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Sorry for not clarifying - there is a thread in this forum of actual sale prices so far this year. Members post all the details + asking price + what they ended up paying. Check it out - there have been a handful of C4Ss. Here's the link - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ng-2017-a.html

Last summer I was shopping for one and the only ones in the mid 20s had 60k+ miles and no service records. You had to get $30k and up for a low mileage one that was really pristine.

Although the mileage is way different, I paid 21.5 for my 03 - it had about 94k on the clock at the time. Mileage can be a bit misleading but there is no denying that it is a strong factor in terms of how much people are willing to pay for a car. Personally I put more weight on the overall condition - but I'd expect a 30k C4S to look practically brand new.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:32 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 30k is reasonable for this car, but would not go higher because of the color change. To give you perspective, I recently picked up a highly optioned 2004 C4S with PSE, IMS done, 35k mile C4S for $35k.

Then again Denver is a bit of an expensive market for pcars.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

In December, I bought an '02 C4s with 45k kms (27k miles) for $42k CDN ($31k USD).

Silver, black full leather interior, 6spd in great shape.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 AM
Bradstock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The color change is a potential red flag for me, I would want to know details: why? Who did the work? Etc...
Old 03-13-2017, 01:44 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As Bradstock says, the color change is suspicious. To do a quality paint job is a lot of money. So who did the change, when and why? I'd have the body work carefully inspected. Can't tell if the car is a good deal because you aren't giving the price. I would also be concerned with the low mileage. That leads to atrophy in many of the parts...and once you start giving the car regular exercise, those parts can and often do fail. Seals and gaskets and almost all the rubber dies when cars just sit. This car averaged 166 miles a week. But did it really get driven 23 miles a day, every day...or did it sit for a month or so and then get a long weekend...or did it sit for a couple of months...or six months...etc. And with no service history, this is a car waiting to bring you unwelcome surprises. How long since the oil has been changed, the break fluid, the transmission fluid, the coolant. And lets not forget the water pump bearing just sitting around and getting cranky...and mice eating the wiring...etc. Don't be afraid to walk away.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
[B]Car was originally RED, but was completely color changed to Grey.
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 03-13-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

#paperbag
#breathe
Old 03-13-2017, 10:50 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I with KC on this one. I love gray, but a C4S in red is beautiful. Makes you wonder.

Op, could you please post a link or picture of the car. What to see the color change and how well they painted the car in the engine bay and around the door jams.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

I don't agree with the decision to change the color from red to gray, but to me a complete color change is less suspicious than a front end respray. There is no scenario I can imagine that repairing damage from an accident would cost less or even similar if you repainted the entire car in a new color. It just adds a lot of extra work for no benefit other than aesthetics.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

I looked at the car today. Only place you can see red is under the car. Its done pretty well, but you can see that the car was painted which is a turn off for me.

The story is that owner was an Asian man that believed that Red is an unlucky color so he painted the car... don't really line up w/ the fact that red is usually a lucky color.

So I passed.

Checking out another one with all service records soon. Will post details!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
I looked at the car today. Only place you can see red is under the car. Its done pretty well, but you can see that the car was painted which is a turn off for me.

The story is that owner was an Asian man that believed that Red is an unlucky color so he painted the car... don't really line up w/ the fact that red is usually a lucky color.

So I passed.

Checking out another one with all service records soon. Will post details!
The irony... by covering up the unlucky color he is out the cost of the paint job + he is now going to have trouble selling the car.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:18 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
The irony... by covering up the unlucky color he is out the cost of the paint job + he is now going to have trouble selling the car.
He traded it in to a Lexus dealership. A different dealer has it now, so the person who did the painting doesnt care any more

Quick Reply: Help valuate a '02 C4S w/ 30K miles