996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IT HAPPENED AGAIN...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017 | 11:48 AM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Correct me if I'm wrong on history here, but "Dennis the Menace" first destroyed the original transmission (that was probably still in good working condition) and now, the second one that he installed is toast???

What are the chances?

I think I remember you saying he "lawyered up" when you sent him a letter requesting a full refund for services. I probably recommend doing the same.

The letter was from my lawyer. I didn't have a good case and even if I won I could spend years just trying to collect my funds.

With that said, after talking with my trusted mechanic, it sounds like it was probably the transmission the first time. Dennis the Menace probably just did a very poor job installing it which in turn snapped the shift cable bracket which the other mechanic found to be the problem. The shifter never felt weird when the car first broke down. Only after Dennis installed the new trans.

Park and neutral work fine and the shifter is functioning properly. The input speed sensors at the transmission are reading normal but the output sensors have nothing. All things indicate the issue is in the transmission. My guy is a one man shop and tearing into transmissions is not feasible for him.

At this point, I need another transmission or someone willing and able to break down the current transmission. I can't afford to do this again right now. I'm having the car towed home to sit in the garage. I'll turn in the tags and drop the insurance. It'll have to sit for a couple years while I pay off my Mustang (and the Porsche).
Old 02-23-2017 | 12:08 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

frig. ****ty news. I also parked my car for a couple of years to rebuild. sucks looking at it like that in the garage...
Old 02-23-2017 | 12:16 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
frig. ****ty news. I also parked my car for a couple of years to rebuild. sucks looking at it like that in the garage...
Yeah, it feels like I'm bringing a friend home to die. I mean not really, it's a car not a person, but you know what I mean.

The only upside is my insurance should drop a decent amount. It's currently around 2800 for 6 months. F*** me right?
Old 02-23-2017 | 12:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Well then, just put the insurance money aside for 8 months and then fix it.

Could be a solenoid in the valve body the problem and from what I'v seen on the net, they are pretty easy to replace.
Old 02-23-2017 | 01:29 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krazyk86cu
Yeah, it feels like I'm bringing a friend home to die. I mean not really, it's a car not a person, but you know what I mean.
Think about this way rather... You're bringing home a dear, close friend who's a star athletic and in desperate need of knee replacement surgery so that he can run fast again.

F*** me right?
No thank you. Straight and married. bwhahahaha
Old 02-23-2017 | 01:32 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Think about this way rather... You're bringing home a dear, close friend who's a star athletic and in desperate need of knee replacement surgery so that he can run fast again.

No thank you. Straight and married. bwhahahaha
Thank you for all of that hahaha
Old 02-23-2017 | 01:35 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Well then, just put the insurance money aside for 8 months and then fix it.

Could be a solenoid in the valve body the problem and from what I'v seen on the net, they are pretty easy to replace.
It would be amazing if that was the issue. Just so weird it would happen to two transmissions. This is pretty much the plan though. Unless I can find a way to sell it like it is for close to enough to pay it off.

Should I crank it up and let it run every now and then? It is it fine to sit? Do I need to add some stabilizer to the gas?
Old 02-23-2017 | 01:42 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Ouch!

Pick up the phone and start calling for quotes. I know it seems archaic but find a phone book and call a few local independent agents. Then call all the big name national carriers.

Is it $2800 just for the 996 or that account billing all your vehs?

Also, ask them to suspend liability, remove collision coverage and leave comprehensive. Comprehensive will keep you covered if the car is stolen, burns, or vandalized during your downtime.

The only upside is my insurance should drop a decent amount. It's currently around 2800 for 6 months. F*** me right?
Old 02-23-2017 | 01:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Ha! I remember being young!

Wait...

When I bought my XK8 I thought the number that Progressive gave me was obscene, so I called Geico. Once the lady pulled up my record she literally laughed at me and asked if I was serious. Refused to even give me a quote.

At least we were married when I bought her the 996 and it was in her name, but we were still paying 4k for 6 months for the XK8, 996, my Golf, and her F-150.

Thankfully my record is quite a bit cleaner now and USAA has taken me back
Old 02-23-2017 | 02:06 PM
krazyk86cu
Instructor

Originally Posted by dblvanos
Ouch!

Pick up the phone and start calling for quotes. I know it seems archaic but find a phone book and call a few local independent agents. Then call all the big name national carriers.

Is it $2800 just for the 996 or that account billing all your vehs?

Also, ask them to suspend liability, remove collision coverage and leave comprehensive. Comprehensive will keep you covered if the car is stolen, burns, or vandalized during your downtime.
Thats for my 996 and the Mustang. Not including my motorcycles. It's so d*** high due to my driving record. At the end of 2015 I got charged with speeding and racing. Before I get lectured on racing, it was a BS charge. I was admittedly speeding in the left lane on the interstate passing a string of cars when another Mustang in that line felt I was "challenging" him and whipped out behind me, got right on my tail, just as a trooper was getting on the interstate. Charged me with prearranged speed competition. A year in court later it was reduced to willful speed comp and the speeding charge stuck as is. Suspended license. Not looking for any sympathy, just to explaining why my rates are so high for a late 20s guy. It was an idiot move to be going hat fast and I've been on the straight and narrow for over a year now.
Old 02-23-2017 | 02:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Never got a racing (and never did), but by the time I was 21 I had 22 points* on my license. I think I still had 18 or so on it when I bought the Jag

* Well past the limit that should have lost my license, but VA put me in a stupid trial program years before that I milked all the advantage out of. Come to think of it, I'm probably the reason it got canned Basically you start in an 18 month phase and any point violation put you in a 6 month phase. In the 6 month phase any point ticket suspended your license for a number of months equal to twice the points. If you made it through the 6 months, you went back to 18 month, and if you made it through the 18 month you left the program. The brain dead part was that they wrote it such that the DMV couldn't pull your license unless you got a violation in the 6 month phase. So as long as you stayed out of court you were golden. They put me in the program when I was 17, I finally left it when I was 26. Within days of getting out of the 6 month phase I would get another ticket and start over
Old 02-23-2017 | 02:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I've been on the straight and narrow for over a year now.
Wait until you get married and have kids, then you'll know what "straight and narrow" is all about.
Old 02-23-2017 | 02:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I hear those Tips are pretty stout...J/K
I really feel for you man this sucks. But again as mentioned, you need to find out what's causing tranny's to fail. Any unusual history with the car?
Old 02-23-2017 | 03:14 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

It would be amazing if that was the issue. Just so weird it would happen to two transmissions. This is pretty much the plan though. Unless I can find a way to sell it like it is for close to enough to pay it off.

Should I crank it up and let it run every now and then? It is it fine to sit? Do I need to add some stabilizer to the gas?
Yeah, its weird. I ran a manual without oil for 12km's and it still runs amazing. I know....you didnt really want to hear that,

When I stored my car for two years, it was sans motor and I put a can of seafoam with a full tank of gas.

I always store my machines with some seafoam in the tank. Dirtbike, skidoo...summer car....all get a can of seafoam to the tank before storage.
Old 02-23-2017 | 03:38 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Also keep the tank on the full side to reduce condensation.

Quick Reply: IT HAPPENED AGAIN...