996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Quest to 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Dpazos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and good luck on your search from a fellow bike/surf/car gearhead on the other side of the country.
Beautiful RD350! I love the 2-stoke yamahas.
Here is a photo of my current bike project:
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Update: Got my car back today. New 1.0 bar wastegate actuators and lower boost hoses. Per my prediction, the '99 Aerokit C4 coupe is no longer my favorite all-time car I've owned. But it's a close second.

Good luck with your search. Remember that the hunt is half the fun. Be patient and the right car will come along. If you spend the spring & summer getting to know the market, then come Labor Day, you will immediately recognize a good deal when you see one. After Labor Day, prices will drop. Right now, we are entering the prime selling time - Spring Fever makes it a seller's market and inventory won't sit around long. If you do see the right car at a reasonable price, be prepared to move on it quickly. And OBTW, based on a couple of threads in recent months, if you take a car in for a PPI, either don't tell them what you are paying for it or lie and add a few thousand dollars on to the price you say you are paying for it.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzer
Give me the amber turn signals!!!!!!!!!!!
Those pumpkins can be replaced in a flash!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Remember that the hunt is half the fun.
Never understood why so many people say this. I just want to find the car as quickly and locally as possible, go, drop my cash, and drive off.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Bonzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnireland
There are a good selection of 99s on the Los Angeles craigslist. Not all are good examples but it also depends on how you want to spend your budget. I'm assuming you want a manual trans. Find a good car at $15k to $16k and be able to drop $5k into it and deal with a lot of deferred maintanence plus have money in the bank for any future issues. And there are some cars in the area at the 19 to 22k price as well. Will you be doing your own work on the car? If not, maybe search for the shop you want to work with before you find a car. Then you'll be ready to have a PPI done the moment you find a car you can be serious about.

If you are comfortable staying with the original IMS then I would only focus on the 99 model year. If you are thinking of changing the IMSB then I would go all the way and get the Permanent (Lifetime) Solution. I believe Tony Callas at RennSport in Hawthore is the only certified shop is this area to do this work.

Good luck...and stay on your budget.
Sounds like a plan! And I'm with you on the cost and savings for maintenance plan.

It's nice looking for these 911s in comparison to others. I have time and no rushing to pick something out using mind set that the early guys look for: history and originality. There's a nice 99 on CL, red/grey with 44k for 19-20k. This would be a good example if was good with the red/gray. I can be picky! Going to avoid red if I can however and get a black interior for better matching seat upgrades.

I see a lot of advertised 99s with smoked indicators, no pumpkins as you guys say. I'm assuming they were swaps but does anyone now if the change from amber to smoked indicators was at the 2000MY point or when? (I care for the reason of the less fudged with on the car externally, hopefully y the same internally.)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

@Bonzer, Bonzer as in the boards?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Bonzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VivG
40AE is probably the most desirable of the naturally aspirated cars from the factory. 3.6L + powerkit, RWD, numbered (1963 total), special paint/wheels. But the well-sorted ones are priced like the limited edition it is.

I personally love the C4S as well - the widebody, no spoiler look is just awesome. But it's just a value question - clean Mk1 cars seem easier to find for relatively inexpensive compared to Mk2 and give you very nearly the same driving experience, plus the whole dual row vs single row stuff.
Exactly what I'm starting to gather, and all these cars will need some sort of maintenance with their age! Thanks so much!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Bonzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dpazos
Welcome and good luck on your search from a fellow bike/surf/car gearhead on the other side of the country.
Beautiful RD350! I love the 2-stoke yamahas.
Here is a photo of my current bike project:
Radical! Theoretically I love the Ducs but never rode one. Considered the Monster 796 but went with the Triumph Street Triple S in the photo instead. What a fun easy and fast scoot that one is! Probably safer that I sold that thing!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Bonzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Update: Got my car back today. New 1.0 bar wastegate actuators and lower boost hoses. Per my prediction, the '99 Aerokit C4 coupe is no longer my favorite all-time car I've owned. But it's a close second.
No Doubt!

I'll probably stick to local cars. California car is always a plus because of weather. I'm not sure sales here is as season oriented either but what do i know.

Thanks a bunch and enjoy that 996TT "waaaaaaa---pssssshhhhhhh"!!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Mr. Bonz,

Win on for the gipper.

We're all rooting for you! Woot Woot Woot!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Bonzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
@Bonzer, Bonzer as in the boards?
Yes definitely! I guess I have a thing for quirky yet very functional designs! Never been to the Bonzer Front / Cafe Haleiwa . . . yet.
Attached Images     
Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzer
I see a lot of advertised 99s with smoked indicators, no pumpkins as you guys say. I'm assuming they were swaps but does anyone now if the change from amber to smoked indicators was at the 2000MY point or when? (I care for the reason of the less fudged with on the car externally, hopefully y the same internally.)
I might be mistaken but I believe they came with amber all the way through.

Don't worry about that - it is a very easy DIY that people find more aesthetically pleasing. I wouldn't be concerned that if someone did the switch, the car would be more inclined to be fudged with internally.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I used to ride my own custom design channel and concaved bottoms back in the late 70 & 80's. Loved them.
Today, I ride a bit longer board (crowd busters)

Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Quest to 996