Next car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next car...

Hello all!

When I first went out to find my P car, I specifically wanted a 997S. But after driving both the 997 and the 996, decided the 997 was not worth twice the $. But now I find myself at a bit of a cross road. I am really enjoying the Porsche experience, but want to go newer. Thinking of either 997 Turbo or 991 Targa. I have not driving the 991 yet--but am really enamored by just the shape of the car, and the interior appointments. The Porsche is just a 3rd fun car, so I don't need anything remotely practical.

I suppose I just need to find 2 good examples of each and drive them back to back. Anyone else made the jump? Kept the 996 too?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

991 GTS, Sports Chrone Package. In orange. My instructor said it is "the best and most balanced out of all of the 911s right now". As in it is a perfect middle ground between the S and hard-core GT3/RS cars.

http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-99...s-new-991-gts/
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My 996 is on the market, and I'm also pretty unsure of what to buy next, other than knowing it'll be some form of P-car and having a strong preference for an open roof (the primary driving factor for selling the 996). It's not a bad problem to have, I'll give you that much.

991 Targas are real money still, I'd wait for them to fall further down the depreciation curve before going there. But I love almost everything about it - the classic Targa look is unbeatable. I'd be apprehensive about how that mechanism will age (maintenance could end up being painful, like the 996 Targa sunroof), but not enough to stop it from being my favourite 991.

997.1TT is a pretty good value right now, I think, as it continues to depreciate and 996TT values rise. In that $60-70k range, that's where my money would go right now. Probably a more old school driving experience than the 991, but I say that having driven neither a 997TT nor a 991 anything (981S is the closest I've gotten).

Interestingly enough, the delta between nice 996 and the bottom of the 997.1 market isn't a ton anymore. Lot of $28-32k 997.1s and if you search enough, you can find an S for around there too.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by VivG
My 996 is on the market, and I'm also pretty unsure of what to buy next, other than knowing it'll be some form of P-car and having a strong preference for an open roof (the primary driving factor for selling the 996). It's not a bad problem to have, I'll give you that much.

991 Targas are real money still, I'd wait for them to fall further down the depreciation curve before going there. But I love almost everything about it - the classic Targa look is unbeatable. I'd be apprehensive about how that mechanism will age (maintenance could end up being painful, like the 996 Targa sunroof), but not enough to stop it from being my favourite 991.

997.1TT is a pretty good value right now, I think, as it continues to depreciate and 996TT values rise. In that $60-70k range, that's where my money would go right now. Probably a more old school driving experience than the 991, but I say that having driven neither a 997TT nor a 991 anything (981S is the closest I've gotten).

Interestingly enough, the delta between nice 996 and the bottom of the 997.1 market isn't a ton anymore. Lot of $28-32k 997.1s and if you search enough, you can find an S for around there too.
Hey! I've seen your car on CL. Nice one you got there. I know we are forbidden from liking interiors, but the 991 is simply fantastic. It's a car I see myself growing older with, whereas the 997T just seems like a stop gap kind of car, and may make me want something more modern.

If the 993Ts aren't so insane (price wise) I'd have one of those in my garage and keep it as a 'forever' car.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
Hey! I've seen your car on CL. Nice one you got there. I know we are forbidden from liking interiors, but the 991 is simply fantastic. It's a car I see myself growing older with, whereas the 997T just seems like a stop gap kind of car, and may make me want something more modern.

If the 993Ts aren't so insane (price wise) I'd have one of those in my garage and keep it as a 'forever' car.
Oh yeah, the new Porsche interiors are excellent. The 981 was a nice place to be. Interior is a bigger factor in thinking about a 987/997 than I probably should admit here. I don't have super high standards, but the 996 doesn't really do it for me.

I think the forever car for me is a 997 GT3, and everything until then is just a stopgap.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

I went from a 996 C4S to a 997.1 turbo cabriolet to a 991.1 turbo s cabriolet. All three were excellent. Each one was progressively better than the one before. Obviously that is subjective, but I've certainly been happy with the upgrade with each generation. The 997 felt more like an incremental improvement over the 996. The 991 feels like a completely different car, in a good way.

It's all good....
Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

If you don't need anything practical, why not look at a Cayman? They are less expansive and the mid engine layout has advantages over the 911
Old 02-14-2017, 10:00 AM
RedTele
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Early Cayman S will be my next car. I have a '99 996 Aero and several 986 Boxsters along with some project P-cars.

I've thought about a Mk2 996, a 996 turbo, a 997 or 991. I think the 06-08 Cayman S is the best bang for the buck, and prices are falling below early 996 territory.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with it.

I went from a 997TT to a '99 C2 and couldn't be happier. I've owned multiple AMG's and M cars and the C2 is my favorite. The TT with fatback exhaust and tune is an animal. But it's like a roller coaster in that after you stomp it so many times it loses its appeal. And all of the luxury items just isolate your connection to the road in my opinion. But if looks and status are important to you, I got a ton of compliments and comments on my turbo and very few on my C2. For me, this is another advantage of the C2.

For track use, an NA engine is much more fun than a TT. As you progress in your driving, the ability to predictable manage the rear end with the throttle is why the majority of Porsche race cars are NA.

But for a flashy cruise around town car to destroy the on and off ramps with, the TT is tough to beat.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:21 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
If you don't need anything practical, why not look at a Cayman? They are less expansive and the mid engine layout has advantages over the 911
I have considered a Cayman GT4, but prefer the 2+2 layout of the 911 since I like driving with my toddler in the rear seat.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:32 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a bit of a different angle...I'd like to find that sweet spot where the depreciation curve flattens out a bit but the likelihood of expensive repairs is still low. Maybe a Porsche in the 5-7 year range...maybe a CPO with warranty and you don't walk away with half your purchase price when you sell.

If you're willing to spend some money up front and can swing a turbo or GT variant, that seems to be the way to go...that is if you're look to buy something and move on in a few years before something expensive happens. Those seem to hold their value and if can get a deal, you may be be able sell higher than you buy.

I'm personally am going to start at the 997.2 when the time comes. My preference (wallet) is for a base C2 coupe and I'm done looking at the IMS debates. I haven't done any research yet, let us know what you decide and why!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:57 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Here's a bit of a different angle...I'd like to find that sweet spot where the depreciation curve flattens out a bit but the likelihood of expensive repairs is still low. Maybe a Porsche in the 5-7 year range...maybe a CPO with warranty and you don't walk away with half your purchase price when you sell.

If you're willing to spend some money up front and can swing a turbo or GT variant, that seems to be the way to go...that is if you're look to buy something and move on in a few years before something expensive happens. Those seem to hold their value and if can get a deal, you may be be able sell higher than you buy.

I'm personally am going to start at the 997.2 when the time comes. My preference (wallet) is for a base C2 coupe and I'm done looking at the IMS debates. I haven't done any research yet, let us know what you decide and why!
An early CPO 991 S seems to be a great compromise between entry price/performance, and reliability. Well optioned ones can be had for low 70s now.

Tonight, I will be looking at a 991S PDK - and see if I can do with the sunroof, or if I really want the Targa. I have zero interested in Cabs.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:03 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I went from a 996 C4S to a 997.1 turbo cabriolet to a 991.1 turbo s cabriolet. All three were excellent. Each one was progressively better than the one before. Obviously that is subjective, but I've certainly been happy with the upgrade with each generation. The 997 felt more like an incremental improvement over the 996. The 991 feels like a completely different car, in a good way.

It's all good....
I've bolded what you said above because that is really how I felt too. I only considered a 997S at the time. Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Slakker
It depends on what you want to do with it.

I went from a 997TT to a '99 C2 and couldn't be happier. I've owned multiple AMG's and M cars and the C2 is my favorite. The TT with fatback exhaust and tune is an animal. But it's like a roller coaster in that after you stomp it so many times it loses its appeal. And all of the luxury items just isolate your connection to the road in my opinion. But if looks and status are important to you, I got a ton of compliments and comments on my turbo and very few on my C2. For me, this is another advantage of the C2.

For track use, an NA engine is much more fun than a TT. As you progress in your driving, the ability to predictable manage the rear end with the throttle is why the majority of Porsche race cars are NA.

But for a flashy cruise around town car to destroy the on and off ramps with, the TT is tough to beat.
Status is of no concern to me. I am a gear head, who appreciates fine engineering... Besides, cars will never be as exciting to me as my motorcycles. the 911 is really just a toy for me.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
I have considered a Cayman GT4, but prefer the 2+2 layout of the 911 since I like driving with my toddler in the rear seat.
Its the same reason I no longer have a Boxster S and have a 911. Two kids fit back there.

You're in a predicament. But when in doubt, "buy the newest/nicest 911 you can afford."
Old 02-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Its the same reason I no longer have a Boxster S and have a 911. Two kids fit back there.

You're in a predicament. But when in doubt, "buy the newest/nicest 911 you can afford."
Or better yet, buy the cheapest 911 you can love.

To me, the 996 is the best of the 911s. It's nice enough to drive long distances but old enough that you can buy it without nannies and other tech that does the driving for you. And it's the epitome of 911 quirkiness.

So truthfully, I have no idea why you would buy a newer 911. But this is the 996 forum, WTF do you expect me to say?

Quick Reply: Next car...