996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Build date?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017 | 12:22 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

I'm in the gray area as well.

I have an '01, build date of March 2001. Jake says the factory records are crap, and I believe him. However, my engine serial number is M66113xxxx, and allegedly those after M66114xxxx are pretty much assured to be a SINGLE row. Additionally, (and I'm sketchy on this part...) I believe the class action suit only applied to cars made AFTER May 2001.

So, if you like Russian Roulette, I have a very high chance of MAYBE having a dual-row bearing.

My clutch was replaced by the non-Porsche dealer just before I purchased the car, and the shop did NOT replace the IMS. Whether the dealer cheaped out (likely) or whether the indy shop told them it had the dual-row bearing (as evidenced by inspection), who knows.
Old 02-04-2017 | 06:51 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Mine is 10/99 build date, dual row.
Old 02-04-2017 | 09:30 PM
robman
Instructor

I think I'm just going to drive it and not worry about it. It's got 85k on it now and had new clutch , pressure plate and fly wheel installed at 78k by the dealer(previous owner) . maybe next clutch I'll do the ims.
Old 02-05-2017 | 03:16 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vitaminC
You probably have a 1.5 row IMSB.

http://imsretrofit.com/ims-101/
Interesting...read it earlier but saw this new item..."One easy sign that you have a re-manufactured factory engine that has been replaced is if there is an X or Y in the engine number located on the lower edge of the engine’s sump."

I haven't crawled under the car to look, however my COA from Porsche lists the engine number as 66Y07632 (meaning it has a Y in the engine number). The production completion date is 12/15/99. The car was sold by Beverly Hills Porsche the following month as a 2000 model.

That sounds like my engine is a remanufactured engine from the factory, before the car was shipped to the states. I wonder if this could be related to the fire in the factory that Jake Raby has mentioned. I wonder if Porsche Cars of North America will give me a new 911 as compensation...or at least free expresso for life.

Oh well...all we can do is drive them and smile. I'd rather have a blown engine than some disease that sends me dripping into plastic bags hanging under a hospital bed.
Old 02-05-2017 | 12:25 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnireland
Interesting...read it earlier but saw this new item..."One easy sign that you have a re-manufactured factory engine that has been replaced is if there is an X or Y in the engine number located on the lower edge of the engine’s sump."

I haven't crawled under the car to look, however my COA from Porsche lists the engine number as 66Y07632 (meaning it has a Y in the engine number). The production completion date is 12/15/99. The car was sold by Beverly Hills Porsche the following month as a 2000 model.

That sounds like my engine is a remanufactured engine from the factory, before the car was shipped to the states. I wonder if this could be related to the fire in the factory that Jake Raby has mentioned. I wonder if Porsche Cars of North America will give me a new 911 as compensation...or at least free expresso for life.

Oh well...all we can do is drive them and smile. I'd rather have a blown engine than some disease that sends me dripping into plastic bags hanging under a hospital bed.
John, not quite sure where you read that but it is either wrong or you misinterpreted it. The third letter, after the M96/01 or whatever, is the model year designator. 66Y is a my 2000, X is a 1999, W is a 1998 etc. Yours looks like the original engine. There is a replacement designator but if I remember right it is T, could be wrong on that but yours is correct for a my2000.
Old 02-05-2017 | 12:37 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

I am of the church of plain bearings for the IMS. Would you like a flower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ci...nel=hiddenopal
Old 02-05-2017 | 12:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnireland

If the engine is a replacement it should have "AT" somewhere in its serial number.

It would look something like this:

"M96/03ATXXX"
Old 02-05-2017 | 04:01 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
If the engine is a replacement it should have "AT" somewhere in its serial number.

It would look something like this:

"M96/03ATXXX"
That is what I always understood as well. Actually I think it is just the letter A. The thing with the Y came up in the article referenced in my post, and quoted. I was totally surprised to read it. And then there is the Raby comments about the factory fire and possible damage to engines, etc., etc.
Perhaps the letter A is for engines repaired under warranty but after sale, and the letters mentioned in the article might refer to work done before the car left the factory or for engines reworked by Porsche before they even went into cars...which I think Jake referred to. Again my engine number is M96/0466Y7632...but the only thing, in my opinion, that matters in a 17 year old car is do I enjoy driving it. And I do...however I will migrate back to a manual coupe sooner than later.
Old 02-06-2017 | 10:57 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

FYI: AT = German acronym for the word "AusTausch," which means replacement or swap. T would not be capitalized in standard written German, I just did that to show whate the T comes from...
Old 02-06-2017 | 12:52 PM
beetleything
Racer

Originally Posted by docmirror
I guarantee you might have a double row.
Definitely maybe.
Old 02-06-2017 | 01:32 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by beetleything
Definitely maybe.
Maybe yes or maybe no ?
Which one is it ??? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-06-2017 | 02:15 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robman
I did a search and it said no matches found. I was wondering if it was more likely to have a dual row or less likely that it has one.
Build date of my MY2000 cabriolet is May 2000, I had dual row, which came out in seemingly perfect condition. I would bet money that, if you do still have the original engine and bearing in your car from 11/99, it's a dual row.

Quick Reply: Build date?