Doctor Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts
Default Doctor Headlight

Has anybody here ever used Doctor Headlight for headlight restoration? Here's a link to their site:

http://drheadlight.com/default.htm

They send a tech out who will perform the job at your house. It takes about an hour. I was quoted $90 for BOTH headlights.

According to the tech, they use a 5 stage sanding process to remove imperfections, and they follow it with an epoxy coating to protect the newly polished lens. It's guaranteed for life. I think I may try this... my headlights are getting a little hazy and showing some yellowing...

Any thoughts?

Here are some before and after photos from their website:
Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I actually just scheduled this service for this weekend. So, unless somebody here tells me that they had a horrible experience with Doctor Headlight, then I'll go forward with it. I also ordered a new set of Osram Sylvannia D1S HID bulbs. Mine are going on 10 years old now, and they have definitely lost some intensity.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

dont have any experience with it but IIRC heard good things of the process. But, those pics are deceiving, the white balance of both pics are different from one another... dont expect such dramatic results like they illustrate.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in Florida in March my friend down there bought a 1998 Camry.It had severly frosted headlights. He brought it to a deatailer inPort Charlotte that did both headlights for $15.00 They looked great after and I asked the guy how he did it? He said 2000 grit sand paper and then compound polish to polish out the sandpaper scratches.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
dont have any experience with it but IIRC heard good things of the process. But, those pics are deceiving, the white balance of both pics are different from one another... dont expect such dramatic results like they illustrate.
I agree with you on the pics being deceiving. I'm not expecting anything that dramatic. I have more of a pitting/road rash issue than a yellowing issue. I've resisted the DIY kits because I was worried about taking off the protective coating that is applied at the factory. The epoxy sealer used in this process is what sold me. For $90 out of pocket with a lifetime guarantee, I figured what the heck...
Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does sound good especially considering replacement costs,if you can,keep us posted on how it goes as I have a franchise near me and would be interested in having mine done
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

I used a comparable Meguiar's product on my wife's lexus. It cleared the yellow and haze. In addition, she commented that the lights are significantly brighter since I worked over the lenses. She commented that she had thought the bulbs were going bad. Total Cost was about $30 and less than an hour's time. Meguiar's kit included the sanding pads, polisher for drill bit, and all the cloths / solutions. Real easy to do.

I have a scratch/blemish on one of my 911 lens, so I may do this on them as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I used Dr. Headlight recently and have to say pretty happy with the results.
Down here here in S.FLA there are a TON of guys offering to do headlight refinnishing most with mixed results and most are gone 60 seconds after they screw something up. So I was VERY hessitant to let anyone touch my headlights given my experiences with service in S.FLA.

All that said I was impressed with Dr. headlights warranty and the fact that the guys I spoke to seemed profesional and had long term experience doing this. So I went ahead and had them done. They are not the cheapest and ran me almost $200.00 but the difference is night and day and I like the fact that they coat them with UV protector so in 2 years I will not have to have them redone. Am I happy "YES" are they perfect no. The only issue is the UV coating wich has some impercfections and contamination from dust etc. Since it it is sprayed on and they came out to my home short of doing this step in paint booth or a clean room not much can be done to avoid that. Overall I say go for it like I said the difference is night and day.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
I used Dr. Headlight recently and have to say pretty happy with the results.
Down here here in S.FLA there are a TON of guys offering to do headlight refinnishing most with mixed results and most are gone 60 seconds after they screw something up. So I was VERY hessitant to let anyone touch my headlights given my experiences with service in S.FLA.

All that said I was impressed with Dr. headlights warranty and the fact that the guys I spoke to seemed profesional and had long term experience doing this. So I went ahead and had them done. They are not the cheapest and ran me almost $200.00 but the difference is night and day and I like the fact that they coat them with UV protector so in 2 years I will not have to have them redone. Am I happy "YES" are they perfect no. The only issue is the UV coating wich has some impercfections and contamination from dust etc. Since it it is sprayed on and they came out to my home short of doing this step in paint booth or a clean room not much can be done to avoid that. Overall I say go for it like I said the difference is night and day.
Thanks for the information. I'm glad you're happy with them. I'm not expecting mine to be perfect... if I wanted that, I'd buy new headlights. I do expect a big improvement though. I'll post some before and after photos.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't take before pictures but I'll try and post some after. What I can tell you is the difference is profound. My lights were yellowing and fadded especially passengers side and now look crystal clear. Even the imperfections unless you stand there with your nose to the lights you will not notice. So, overall good job and I recommend Dr. Headlight over just Joe blow's headlightlight polishing. Also, at least down here the local P-Dealer uses them although of course the price doubles or tripples :/
Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I did the headlights on my Daughter's Jetta with a 3M kit that cost about $30. They were very yellow, you could hardly see the bulb. Result was pretty darn good. However, there was no coating after the polishing and I have been told that the lenses loose their UV resistance when they are polished and my fade more quickly in the future. Maybe Dr. Headlights process with the "epoxy coating" addresses this.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I hope it does... that's certainly the claim on their website.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You can buy the UV protector at places like Autozone or PepBoys. I did my Dodge truck lights over a year ago and they still look great. I used a kit I got at Harbor Freight for about $10 on sale. I also used 2000 grit wet sand on the hard to get to places. I am going to do the TT soon as they look like crap.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Any links to the UV protector? I polished my lights and they looked great initially have slowly yellowed over the past year. They're still smooth, but the yellowing is really annoying.

-Shawn
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

303 Aerospace Protectant is some good stuff to use on plastic and trim. Great UV protection.

Quick Reply: Doctor Headlight