Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:20 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant wait to see this.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandalizer
Update. I received the Porsche Classic Radio last week and started installation last night. I pulled out the old tape deck and mounting bracket. I drilled a hole in the bottom storage shelf and mounted the USB/Ipad media connector there. I had to sand down the sides of the radio opening to fit the new mounting bracket in place. It was almost imperceptibly larger than the existing hole. I ran the mic cable with the mic placed on the driver's side A pillar adjacent to the visor.

I have to finish routing the mic and media connector wires. I also have to run the GPS antenna wire. This is something I am not at all excited about. The instructions say to place it on the dash in front or parcel shelf in back. Neither of these options appeal to me. Given how little I expect to use the GPS on the PCR (I expect to just use my phone as usual), I may skip it or mount it in the storage shelf.

I probably won't get to finishing the install until this weekend but I'll post pictures when I do.
I'm sure there are a lot of us that would like to see this. Congratulations and I hope it all works out okay.

On the GPS antenna, you may want to search this forum a little. I seem to recall that several guys have mounted their GPS antenna under or on the black windshield cowl trim around the wipers. I know there is a firewall pass-through right near there as well used to hook up the factory amps and cd players to the radios. Just a thought. Also one of the aftermarket audio installers markets a GPS antenna mount but I have no idea if it would fit the Classic Radio's GPS antenna or not.

Edit: I may be recalling their XM radio antenna mounts. I just don't remember for sure but I thought it was a very clever solution to an inelegant problem.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Hope it works out well for you, but I don't care for the setup. It's located too low and the screen is pretty small, making it not ideal for driving and navigating. I got rid of my CD-R 210 and replaced it with a Kenwood with Bluetooth for hands free calls. It matches the interior really well. I use a small magnet mount to place my iPhone up high and use that for navigation, etc... best of all, the apps such as Waze, Google, etc... get updated automatically without any hassle.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished up the install last night. It fits perfectly and I think it looks great. The lights on the PCRN can be set to amber, white or green. The amber lights make it look right at home. I'll post pictures tonight of the process and completed look so that you can all make your won conclusions.

I wound up running the gps antenna underneath the passenger side of the dash and then up between the a-pillar and dash. There was no cutting or dash removal required. The look of the antenna is not perfect but I don't think I'll notice it much. I will second the feeling that the nav is not functionally all that useful. We'll see how it works in practice but it is low and the screen is obviously small. That said, the screen still looks great and is easy to read.

There was only one problem in connecting it. The factory am/fm antenna doesn't reach the input on the new radio. The female connector on the PCRN is inset and the factory connector is at a right angle from the antenna cord. I'll have to look for some sort of adapter.

I'm very happy with how it turned out. Despite the steep price, I feel like I now have the best of all worlds: a factory look that is technologically current.

Pics to come tonight.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Astro

Just noticed the song you have playing. Nice.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Photos should be attached.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Photos should be attached.
Trying again on the photos.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Trying again on the photos.
I apparently need to post these over several posts. First the unboxing.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Stereo came out easy with $7 keys purchased on Amazon. Factory harness has little slack.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Plenty of slack on the new cables. My wife helped run them under the dash and up through the console. The media connector is run into the bottom shelf via a hole I drilled in the back of it. It was later mounted in place with supplied Velcro.
Gps antenna mount. No drilling required.
Mic before being stuck into place.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Competed install of radio.
Initial boot up.
Media box is mounted in place here.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

The amber is a closer match in person than this photo shows. I suppose you choose select the white option as well. The green looks cool but doesn't fit obviously.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

That covers it. I had to type this up three times. This final time was unfortunately the briefest. Apparently I could only load three photos at a time. Hit me up with any questions. The only way I could be happier would be if this thing only cost $600 like it should.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:11 AM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vandalizer,

That looks really good. Thanks for the great write up. Now we all know for sure. It fits and it works. Let us know how it sounds and whether the GPS is useful there or not.

It looks great, even better than I thought it would.

Tom
Old 03-04-2017, 02:31 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow. I'm tempted...but now the HVAC looks awfully dated.

Hope you will keep us posted with how you like living with it after some time.

Quick Reply: Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?