Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Yep, dude you may be in a world of hurt trying to sort out what's been cut and re-wired for the system. On the bright side, it looks like that's an old Passport SR1 custom installed radar detection system which could mean the stereo was also professionally installed. As Jay mentioned, if they cut the original harness, then it's going to be a lot of work going back to a Porsche/Becker radio like the CDR-220 or new Porsche Nav Classic.
Good observations—the stereo was at least professionally installed, like the radar detector, so I'm hoping it's not destroyed back there. It shouldn't be, but, you never know until you see it. I also just spoke with the current owner, the red things are crossovers, the silver thing is a CD changer, and the there are amps as well. I intend on having all that professionally removed when I get the car. I had to do that with my Boxster as well. I loathe aftermarket audio equipment.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:46 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the European car mags, I don't remember which one, did a test of the Classic Radio and put it in a bunch of Porsches including a non-MOST, 996 and it worked fine. I have the same setup with the token cup holders and the Classic Radio is on my list for Santa.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by dyerhaus
I loathe aftermarket audio equipment.
Yea, I feel ya... most of the aftermarket stuff looks spaceshipish. Why they like to make the units looks like something off a sci-fi flick is beyond me. You have a lot of options, but you need to think it through before paying big bucks to have a professional rip everything out and start over.

Few things to think about...
1. Single DIN or Double DIN?
2. Factory re-install (e.g. Becker/Porsche CDR-220) or Aftermarket stock look
3. Bluetooth connectivity for streaming music and phone?
4. Factory 10 speaker setup with frunk amp and subs in the door?
5. Backup camera?

etc. etc. etc
Old 01-31-2017, 03:01 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Yea, I feel ya... most of the aftermarket stuff looks spaceshipish. Why they like to make the units looks like something off a sci-fi flick is beyond me. You have a lot of options, but you need to think it through before paying big bucks to have a professional rip everything out and start over.

Few things to think about...
1. Single DIN or Double DIN?
2. Factory re-install (e.g. Becker/Porsche CDR-220) or Aftermarket stock look
3. Bluetooth connectivity for streaming music and phone?
4. Factory 10 speaker setup with frunk amp and subs in the door?
5. Backup camera?

etc. etc. etc
I couldn't agree more! It's not a low-budget sci-fi film, this a great car with great design!!

The only think I'm uncertain is whether or not I want to shell out for the Porsche Classic Nav System, or just pick up a Becker CDR-220. I'm much more concerned with a clean, factory look than anything else.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:18 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I want to shell out for the Porsche Classic Nav System, or just pick up a Becker CDR-220.
Any chance the original owner has the factory CDR-220 that he's willing to give you? Personally, if the original factory look is what you desire, then reinstall what came with the car. Personally, I think the CDR-220 are better radio that the successor (CDR-23). I have both and thought about putting the CDR-220 back in the car, but I love the bluetooth streaming audio of my Blaupunkt and so I'm sticking with it.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another alternative that would be plug and play
Bluetooth, USB, CD, etc
Porsche factory look
Under $300
http://www.continental-automotive.co...18UB_OR_en.pdf
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JayG
Another alternative that would be plug and play
Bluetooth, USB, CD, etc
Porsche factory look
Under $300
http://www.continental-automotive.co...18UB_OR_en.pdf
The only concern about the Continental unit, is that is doesn't show a pre-amp line-level output on the C connector like the CDR-220 has. This would be a problem if his car uses a frunk amp to drives the subs.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only concern about the Continental unit, is that is doesn't show a pre-amp line-level output on the C connector like the CDR-220 has. This would be a problem if his car uses a frunk amp to drives the subs.
Could always drive it with the speaker outs

In my case, I don't have an amp, so speaker out is perfect and adds Bluetooth and USB
Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JayG
Could always drive it with the speaker outs

In my case, I don't have an amp, so speaker out is perfect and adds Bluetooth and USB
Absolutely, if the car has the base system (8 speaker/4-channel) setup, then the Conti will work fine. It has a nice layout. I wonder how the sound quality is?
Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Porsche Classic looks very cool. Honestly the price, while it gives me pause, isn't the deal breaker for me. I have the MOST setup and this doesn't look like it will integrate with third party amps, even assuming I want to rip and replace the bose amp with something aftermarket. In your case, since you're considering ripping out the Alpine anyway, assuming you can get it to fit it might work well for you. Another option that could work for both of us would be the Becker Mexico Retro... But the price on that one very much is a deal breaker for me. But if your pockets are deep enough, that would likely work if you fed it into your existing Alpine, it also has speaker outs so it would work if you decided to rip out the alpine, and it would work for me if I wired up an adapter to feed it to my MOST amp.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

The Becker Mexico Retro?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 PM
boingolover
Instructor

The Becker Mexico Retro?
BEHOLD!!

http://www.becker-mexico-retro.de/en/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-EDIT...-/252613847188
Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add the stock radio and use Waze on your cell for navigation.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Any chance the original owner has the factory CDR-220 that he's willing to give you?
No, the current owner bought the car with this already in it, and he never got the original stereo. A CDR-220 is easy enough to find for $150 to $200, and I could easily get a cable that allows iPod/iPhone connection and/or bluetooth if I want. By far, that's the most cost effective solution.

Originally Posted by sfv_rider
Add the stock radio and use Waze on your cell for navigation.
I don't really like using my phone as navigation. When I do that, I then have to find a place to mount the phone which means some weird crap attached to some awkward place on my dashboard or console, or suction cup sticking in my window (which the state of California will not allow if placed in the center). Additionally, it looks cluttered and messy, and I don't want my car to look that way.

Absolutely, if the car has the base system (8 speaker/4-channel) setup, then the Conti will work fine. It has a nice layout. I wonder how the sound quality is?
According to the option codes:

490 Basic sound system

My biggest fear is that the installer of the stereo might have cut up the wires. I'm hoping that's not the case, but I won't know until I take delivery.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:17 PM
boingolover
Instructor

I don't really like using my phone as navigation. When I do that, I then have to find a place to mount the phone which means some weird crap attached to some awkward place on my dashboard or console, or suction cup sticking in my window (which the state of California will not allow if placed in the center). Additionally, it looks cluttered and messy, and I don't want my car to look that way.
That's where I'm at too. So I'll probably end saying to hell with it and go double din, get something with Apple Carplay. The Sony unit actually even looks decent to me, but I wish it had an actual GPS in it as well.

For what it's worth, if you do go the aftermarket double-din route you already have your hvac controls relocated, you'd just need to get the double din trim bezel and you'd have to ditch your cupholders.

Quick Reply: Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?