Sponsored by:

2000 C2 Cab Whirlwind Courtship and Shotgun Marriage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:31 PM
karungguni
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 C2 Cab Whirlwind Courtship and Shotgun Marriage

My family history with Porsches started when my mother bought a 2001 Boxster S around 2005. Would be my getaway call when I visited Florida. My Stepfather (now ex) inherited a 1975 914. He then acquired a 2000 C2 Cab with 42K miles from a high school friend who was the long time second owner. He decided having two was too much and for various reasons wanted to sell the 911. One of my cycling buddies has a BMW E30 and a 944 together with a friend and was talking about just having one 911. First thought about introducing to my Stepfather and then figured I would ask for myself as I now need to have a car to visit my ailing father. He said if it was for me that he would give it to me to drive on the next trip to Florida and then we could talk. First day of the visit he picked me up at 6:50 am for coffee with a cycling friend. Not knowing the car, missed a shift and he grumbled. Drove it to breakfast and we discussed a family and friends price and were at the bank 5 minutes before it opened to transfer money. A smile on my face the rest of the trip until it was on the auto transporter. My father died two days before it arrived so now the owner of a 2009 Jeep Wrangler and well as the 996. No longer need to figure out a bike rack or ask about driving in snow. New to Porsche ownership so lots of questions and seeking any advice. 44K miles and I only have the records from the one service in 9/16 when the serpentine belt broke. I have a decent budget for maintenance until the economics do not make any sense.

Manufacturer date of 3/00 (44K Miles) so welcome opinions on IMS Bearing

The 9/16 Service included Brake Pads, Brake Fluid, Water Pump, Thermostat, Motor Mounts, Idler Kit (for the belt?)

Current things not working:
Horn (new one installed but previous mechanic says should see Porsche specific mechanic)
Reverse Lights do not work and the fuse socket B5 is empty and will not accept a fuse
Still accessing if the Cruise Control works
Frunk needs new struts
Ashtray will not close
Cannot get the steering wheel adjustment to work
Can pull out light switch for fogs (not sure if they works) but cannot turn left for individual parking lamps.
Tab seems to be broken on one of the back seats
Plastic Rear Window is clear but gives distortion when you look through it
Do not have a manual. Another RL gave me a link to a manual for a 966.2 which got me 90% there
The leather is a bit rough on the driver seat and just split in the middle for about 2 in.
Bought a wind deflector off of eBay for $225 but just figured out the bag is for a C4 :-/. No biggie
Tires look good but will take recommendations for mostly road driving and occasional autocross.
Interested in light upgrades mainly for better lighting.

Drives incredibly tight and no leaks from the top. No leaks from below either but came with a jug of premixed coolant (It has not needed it after 500 miles)

Advice on insurance is welcome. Was going to register it at my father's in Concord CA but he has now passed so will have to insure both cars in San Francisco (I do have a one car garage). Thinking 3 to 4K of driving a year on each car.

For Service have been recommended Tony & Bros in Sunnyvale for big things and Aldo's in SF for small but will take other advice.

I should get a Durametric reading?

Planning on the PCA Autocross in April in Marina

Any Any comments are welcome and here are the pics:

Old 01-28-2017, 07:21 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I can touch on a couple of your points.

Ashtray issue is very common.

Steering wheel adjustment - my car was "stuck" and still is some of the time. Keep tugging on it would be my advice. I am still trying to figure out if there is some catch to this like car must be in neutral or parking brake must be on or ??

You could read for days about what you should do with the IMSB. I am guessing your car is double row but at the age, regardless of miles, I would be replacing the IMSB. That's just me and everyone's risk tolerance is different. Consider a new water pump too - then you will be good for many miles thereafter.

Nice looking car. I thought it was Midnight Blue but some pics make it look black? And you shipped it FL to CA??
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car & check out that Pinellas county tag! Car came from my neck of the woods!

With that build date yours is two months older than mine! FYI, I had the IMSB changed in my car and the original was a double row. It came out in perfect condition. I'm thinking there's a 99% chance you have a dual row bearing in that car, too. Porsche supposedly switched to single row sometime in mid-2000.

If you need a clutch, then consider changing IMSB if you want to be on the safe side. At minimum, I'd at least consider installing a magnetic drain plug and the spin-on filter adapter for the time being. And then just make sure to check for metal on the magnetic drain plug at each oil change.

Good luck sorting the little things out....
Old 01-28-2017, 08:05 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't think I would mess with the IMSB.
Replace the ashtray with a smoker's delete package. Easy and cheap.
I'd also swap the CD holder for a storage cubby.
Change the orange sidemarkers to smoke.
Frunk struts are cheap and easy to replace.
When you need parts, www.warehouse33auto.com has good prices, then use the promo code RENNLIST to get another 10% off. That normally (95% of the time) makes them the cheapest on parts.
Congrats and welcome!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:38 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 498 Posts

Nice car and agree with KCA.

I am sorry for the loss of your Dad.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:37 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You might consider the Ultimate cup holder instead of the one you have on the passenger seat.
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/
Those and the ashtray delete will help take care of your drinks and cell phone, unless it is one of these
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2017, 12:46 AM
karungguni
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
I can touch on a couple of your points.

Ashtray issue is very common.

Steering wheel adjustment - my car was "stuck" and still is some of the time. Keep tugging on it would be my advice. I am still trying to figure out if there is some catch to this like car must be in neutral or parking brake must be on or ??

You could read for days about what you should do with the IMSB. I am guessing your car is double row but at the age, regardless of miles, I would be replacing the IMSB. That's just me and everyone's risk tolerance is different. Consider a new water pump too - then you will be good for many miles thereafter.

Nice looking car. I thought it was Midnight Blue but some pics make it look black? And you shipped it FL to CA??
It is Black with Black Seats and Top though it does Blue/Grey in some of the pics in the Florida sun. The water pump and most fluids were done 9/16 so just the IMS to ponder. Given it has been in the family it was worth it ship it out. Thanks for responding.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 AM
karungguni
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jaetee
Nice car & check out that Pinellas county tag! Car came from my neck of the woods!

With that build date yours is two months older than mine! FYI, I had the IMSB changed in my car and the original was a double row. It came out in perfect condition. I'm thinking there's a 99% chance you have a dual row bearing in that car, too. Porsche supposedly switched to single row sometime in mid-2000.

If you need a clutch, then consider changing IMSB if you want to be on the safe side. At minimum, I'd at least consider installing a magnetic drain plug and the spin-on filter adapter for the time being. And then just make sure to check for metal on the magnetic drain plug at each oil change.

Good luck sorting the little things out....
Thanks Jaetee. Triple Black was not a good choice for Florida but should be fine in NorCal. Will definitely consider the IMSB when it is ready for a clutch.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 AM
karungguni
Intermediate

Thanks KCA, Wildbilly32 and fbp111 for the messages. I have a few more items if anybody has any advice.

The Emergency Brake does not work well.
The Readiness display for the alarm system is loose (pic below)
Some funkiness in the LCD display for the mileage (pic below)
The top access panels at the windshield rattle (H in pic below)
Any advice on attaching a front license plate?

I have included some pics with the top up. Am looking forward to being active in PCA Golden Gate events.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well you sort of just jumped in the water so here's wishing you no unpleasant surprises. My personal approach would be to park the car for a week and just spend your time reading...and getting an owner's manual asap. Make methodical lists of little things and another list of big things that you need/want a mechanical opinion on.

Immediately join your local PCA and get references to at least three shops in your area. Then go by and meet them...but don't take the car...that will deflect your attention from you inspecting them, to them giving you an opinion on your car. Save the last part for later. (While you are interviewing the various mechanics, get their recommendations for upholstery and body shops.)

I'm not a DIY type but I do like to understand how everything works. Two excellent books (find them used on Amazon) are "101 Projects for you Porsche 911 - Model years 1998-2008" and "Porsche 996 The Essential Companion"...with these you will have a good understanding of how your Porsche was built and how to keep it running.

Even if you have to change the clutch...if there is no sign of leaking from the IMS I'd leave it alone. Your model has less than a 1% failure rate, based on the class action settlement. And read the IMS thread. Almost every IMS bearing taken out proactively was found to be in perfect condition, regardless of miles.

Enjoy your wonderful car.
After you've met/interviewed then take your car to one and give that person the mechanical history that you do have, and invest in a PPI. Yes you've already bought it so now find out what you have. Brake fluid should be flushed, give it another oil change, check your pads, rotors, bushings, power steering fluid, and fix the emergency brake while he's at it.

Discuss the display issues on your dash, and start shopping for new skins for the seats. vs putting the attention on your car.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you a DIY guy? If so you can have it in tip top condition in no time at all. I kept my pumpkins and use them as turn signals now. Easy DIY. Change all your fluids. Easy DIY for emergency brake adjustment. I have same cup holder. Nice car. Have fun.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 AM
karungguni
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnireland
Well you sort of just jumped in the water so here's wishing you no unpleasant surprises. My personal approach would be to park the car for a week and just spend your time reading...and getting an owner's manual asap. Make methodical lists of little things and another list of big things that you need/want a mechanical opinion on.

Immediately join your local PCA and get references to at least three shops in your area. Then go by and meet them...but don't take the car...that will deflect your attention from you inspecting them, to them giving you an opinion on your car. Save the last part for later. (While you are interviewing the various mechanics, get their recommendations for upholstery and body shops.)

I'm not a DIY type but I do like to understand how everything works. Two excellent books (find them used on Amazon) are "101 Projects for you Porsche 911 - Model years 1998-2008" and "Porsche 996 The Essential Companion"...with these you will have a good understanding of how your Porsche was built and how to keep it running.

Even if you have to change the clutch...if there is no sign of leaking from the IMS I'd leave it alone. Your model has less than a 1% failure rate, based on the class action settlement. And read the IMS thread. Almost every IMS bearing taken out proactively was found to be in perfect condition, regardless of miles.

Enjoy your wonderful car.
After you've met/interviewed then take your car to one and give that person the mechanical history that you do have, and invest in a PPI. Yes you've already bought it so now find out what you have. Brake fluid should be flushed, give it another oil change, check your pads, rotors, bushings, power steering fluid, and fix the emergency brake while he's at it.

Discuss the display issues on your dash, and start shopping for new skins for the seats. vs putting the attention on your car.
Thanks for the advice. Like you, I am not a DIY guy. Looks like yours is the same triple black. All the fluids were done at the 9/16 44K Service. Have already joined PCA and will reach out for shop recommendations. Will discuss the PPI with them. My Stepfather would have had the best intentions but he did not own the car that long. I already cycle to work on the days I do not work at home so no immediate need to use the car extensively. Any recommendations on a front license plate bracket if your car did not come with one?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:53 AM
karungguni
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Are you a DIY guy? If so you can have it in tip top condition in no time at all. I kept my pumpkins and use them as turn signals now. Easy DIY. Change all your fluids. Easy DIY for emergency brake adjustment. I have same cup holder. Nice car. Have fun.
Thanks for the comments. Still pondering how much of a DIY guy I am (my two road bikes are way behind on maintenance). Have found the pumpkin banter amusing and not sure where I will land on it. As I told John, fluids were all changed at 9/16 44K. That is one service I do have the paperwork for. My Stepfather joked about the fancy cupholder but will usually be alone in the car and the middle slot fits a iPhone Plus perfect.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:28 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

You can get the ashtray delete kit for ~$65. As others have written the ashtray top is a common issue. Frunk and rear decklid struts are a regular replacement item. Inexpensive as far as p-car parts go. I can't speak to precisely as to insurance in CA but if you are a PCA member you can get coverage through Leland-West (a broker with association with PCA and underwrites through American Modern Home). I used to have them but am now with Infinity Auto (through Midwest Classic Auto) to save a couple of hundred bucks a year over LW. Never made a sheet metal claim with lLW but they were easy to work with on a glass claim under comprehensive.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My car came with the license plate bracket and it doesn't bother me to have one. I'd check LA Dismantler (in Los Angeles), they scavange tons of 911s and probably have a lot and at a lower price than a dealer would charge for a new one. The biggest thing you and the car need is a shop that knows what it is doing and treats you fairly.

Quick Reply: 2000 C2 Cab Whirlwind Courtship and Shotgun Marriage