What is this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:10 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this sound?

Need some help. What is this sound? Sorry, it's so faint

I only hear it from inside the cabin. It goes away when I press the clutch. I only hear it after the engine has warmed up.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

About 10 times per second. My guess is something inside the clutch system, probably the throwout bearing. Someone will need to lift up the car and id the source more accurately.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:50 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Thanks, I've been having some issues with the clutch lately. It's started rattling at low revs when engaging first gear. The other day, the clutch pedal didn't pop out fully going into first. Both clutch and flywheel have ~3K miles on it. Does that shed anymore light? To my knowledge, stock parts were used.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Definitely something not right inside the bell housing. The transmission will need to be dropped again. If it was done by a shop, I suggest you take it back to them to sort it out. There ahould be warranty of the work amd parts.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Thanks. I figured as much. I hope it's related to the shop's work. Otherwise, I'd prefer to take the first crack and save some $. I guess we'll see.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Thanks, I've been having some issues with the clutch lately. It's started rattling at low revs when engaging first gear. The other day, the clutch pedal didn't pop out fully going into first. Both clutch and flywheel have ~3K miles on it. Does that shed anymore light? To my knowledge, stock parts were used.
Took it back to the mechanic today and he swapped out the gearbox oil. Substantially all of the low rpm rattling is gone. I would have done it myself, but the mechanic wanted to take a peak inside the gearbox. The weird squeaky sound appears to be gone as well...maybe the weird sound was caused by the excess rattling in the gearbox from the spent oil? I don't know, but it's gone for now.

FYI, the car only has 24K miles and the mechanic confirmed the gearbox oil was toast. It's something you all my want to tackle next time you have the car up on stands.

Quick Reply: What is this sound?