996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Did my First Oil change today on my 02 C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017 | 10:37 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Default Did my First Oil change today on my 02 C4

Just bought the car last week. It has 110K on it now, 108700 when I bought it. 1000 mile drive home from NorCal to Tucson AZ.

Anyway, I was a little nervous citing into the oil filter looking for any shinny bits and thankfully nothing in there! Original IMS is still in the car so I wasn't sure what I would find. Stayed with Mobile 1... Thank you to this site for all the great help regarding how to do the oil. The hardest part was tracking down the 76mm 14 flute oil cap wrench.

Cheers all...
Old 01-09-2017 | 11:24 PM
kromdom
Drifting

any plans to send the old oil for a UoA (Used Oil Analysis)?
Old 01-09-2017 | 11:36 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by kromdom
any plans to send the old oil for a UoA (Used Oil Analysis)?
No, oil is already gone...maybe next time.
Old 01-10-2017 | 01:53 AM
dbuckius
Banned

When you decide to change the IMS bearing, you might want to change the AOS and the expansion tank also (since the engine is already out)
Old 01-10-2017 | 08:28 AM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbuckius
When you decide to change the IMS bearing, you might want to change the AOS and the expansion tank also (since the engine is already out)
Thank you for the advice...Is the AOS easy to do that way? The Video I watched showed it from the rear or the car? Thankfully no signs of trouble there as of yet. . Not sure what the expansion tank is.

My plan for the IMS is to wait until the clutch goes. It was replaced around 80K so I should be good for awhile. RMS was done as well. To be honest it makes me vervous to change the bearing since it has done its job for 110K miles. However, I guess it. Hold give up the ghost at any point.
Old 01-10-2017 | 03:02 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Expansion tank is where you would add coolant, the sort of clear container at the top left when viewed from the rear. Difficult to remove/replace with engine in the car without lowering it (the engine) a bit, but easy if engine is out already.

And yes, AOS is very simple if engine is out, and one of the more complex (fiddly) jobs when still installed. Neither part is particularly expensive and the labor is essentially free at that time.
Old 01-10-2017 | 03:30 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Expansion tank is where you would add coolant, the sort of clear container at the top left when viewed from the rear. Difficult to remove/replace with engine in the car without lowering it (the engine) a bit, but easy if engine is out already.

And yes, AOS is very simple if engine is out, and one of the more complex (fiddly) jobs when still installed. Neither part is particularly expensive and the labor is essentially free at that time.
Cool! Thank you. The coolant tank was replaced according to the receipts I have, can not remember when exactly. Thank you for the AOS info. Much appreciated. Still a ton to learn!!!
Old 01-12-2017 | 01:39 AM
targa996
Pro

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Cool! Thank you. The coolant tank was replaced according to the receipts I have, can not remember when exactly. Thank you for the AOS info. Much appreciated. Still a ton to learn!!!
also do o-rings on oil cooler connection lines while you are back there

Quick Reply: Did my First Oil change today on my 02 C4