Sponsored by:

FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

We are finally getting into the full forged wheel business as far as selling them.

We want some feedback on a wheel price that you would feel would make you finally pull the trigger on a set for 19" or 20"....

We want to offer something that will be light weight, forged and something that would shatter the market as far as price is concerned.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated but we only ask that you keep things realistic, so please don't ask for a $2,000 price on a set of fully forged wheels here.

Thanks again in advance for your replies.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

No answer on price, but I figured a little edumacation in your thread would be good for those choosing wheels:

Forged wheels are different from cast wheels in that they start out as aluminum billet, typically 6-7 inch diameter bar stock. These are then cut into the right length (the volume needed), heated, and pressed into shape (using very accurate dies and successive steps) under about 6-12000 tons of pressure. The forging process imparts a lot of energy into the metal and changes the internal grain structure of the aluminum (metals have a crystalline structure) and this change in the grain structure is what gives a forging additional strength in comparison to the original billet rod. They are then heat treated to a T6 condition in the case of 6061-T6 to get the right mix of strength and ductility. A forged aluminum wheel has a higher specific strength as well as higher toughness (engineering term for its ability to absorb energy) in comparison to a casting. This allows an engineer to design a wheel that is lighter, stiffer and less susceptible to cracking under impact and with better fatigue properties than a casting.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

My feedback is that I wouldn't put 19's or 20's on a 996. But forged 18's in the correct widths and offsets are actually fairly hard to find.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 AM
kawingcheng
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mind to pay 800-1200 a wheel, depends on styling
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kawingcheng
Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated, we will release photos of the forged line shortly.

Thanks again for your reply to our topic.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
My feedback is that I wouldn't put 19's or 20's on a 996. But forged 18's in the correct widths and offsets are actually fairly hard to find.
x2.... I wont run anything over 18's
Old 01-10-2017, 12:47 PM
stvsxm
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics

We are finally getting into the full forged wheel business as far as selling them.

We want some feedback on a wheel price that you would feel would make you finally pull the trigger on a set for 19" or 20"....

We want to offer something that will be light weight, forged and something that would shatter the market as far as price is concerned.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated but we only ask that you keep things realistic, so please don't ask for a $2,000 price on a set of fully forged wheels here.

well... for one thing, I don't care how pretty she is, I wouldn't want her sitting on the hood of my car like that...
Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the posters who would not put anything larger than 18's on a 996. My car came with forged 19's, and rode like a truck. I am running stock 17's now, and would like to go to a good quality 18 for the right price. $800 a wheel would be nice.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

While we do appreciate the participation of 18" vs. 19" we respectfully ask that the debate 18" vs. 19" be re-posted on a new thread.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Akshun12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
+1
Old 01-11-2017, 04:38 AM
stvsxm
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kawingcheng

well... i admit i am a bit out of touch but i spent a career buying the best racing wheels money could buy and didn't come close to spending a 1000/wheel... and a quick look at the BBS site suggests that you could buy forged versions of those for less than a 1000 a wheel and they make about the best wheels on the planet. i would have to wonder why , when you have companies like oz and bbs and lots of others with extraordinary track records of making the best wheels on the planet why you would spend 1000 or more on some product that you know nothing about ? i got an e mail from a friend of mine the other day who is an engineer on an imsa gt3 car and they are only spending 5k a set for those wheels ( along with another 500k on various other bits ) ... how can aftermarket STREET wheels be worth that kind of money ? or am i just too old now to understand...
Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What is the difference between forged and rotary forged? Seen both advertised and if these guys are doing a new process, maybe one way is "better" than the other? Experts please weigh in.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Forged wheels are different from cast wheels in that they start out as aluminum billet, typically 6-7 inch diameter bar stock. These are then cut into the right length (the volume needed), heated, and pressed into shape (using very accurate dies and successive steps) under about 6-12000 tons of pressure. The forging process imparts a lot of energy into the metal and changes the internal grain structure of the aluminum (metals have a crystalline structure) and this change in the grain structure is what gives a forging additional strength in comparison to the original billet rod. They are then heat treated to a T6 condition in the case of 6061-T6 to get the right mix of strength and ductility. A forged aluminum wheel has a higher specific strength as well as higher toughness (engineering term for its ability to absorb energy) in comparison to a casting. This allows an engineer to design a wheel that is lighter, stiffer and less susceptible to cracking under impact and with better fatigue properties than a casting.
Wow, I'm impressed! I'm going to start calling you "WikiCuda" if you keep this up.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics

Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

The big question I would have for Wheel Dynamics is... What brand of forge wheels are you selling? Quality of workmanship is big determining factor on what someone is willing to pay. Surely you won't be selling those cheap imitations out of Asia, right?

Quick Reply: FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY