996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for a PPI in PA. 996 40th Annverisary Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017 | 02:26 PM
innov8
AutoX

Thumbs up Looking for a PPI in PA. 996 40th Annverisary Edition

I'm setting up a PPI on a 111k 996 AE at a dealer in Huntingdon Valley, PA, 19006. The high-miles don't scare me but I do want to buy with as much knowledge as possible.

There are no service records with the car but at this milage I assume the clutch is coming up soon. I contacted the service shop listed on the car fax and they said there was no record of a clutch, IMS or RMS repair. The engine did drop at 32K for a cam issue.

The dealer said that he is will to have the car checked out and offered to make some suggestions... I prefer to ask the community and not end of paying his buddy to write-up what we all want to hear.

This would be my first 996 purchase... I have read the 996 buyer guides but is there anything specific to the AE or the x51 optioned cars that I should consider? Have read warnings of the harsher ride, etc... I'm OK with the firmer set-up.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. —Patch
Old 01-08-2017 | 11:37 PM
ewc
Racer

It's a little bit of a drive, but try either Performance Automotive in Malvern, PA (http://www.pfmauto.com/) or Premier Eurocars in Devon (http://www.premiereurocars.com/). Both are certified LN Engineering installers, and know their stuff.

Pull the oil filter to check for metallic bits (signs of IMS failure), and consider getting a borescope to check for bore scoring (X51 is allegedly more susceptible to scoring). The other big failure point is the water pump. But lots of other little things may need replacing at the mileage, which will nickle and dime you to death, so get a thorough PPI. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2017 | 11:49 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

EWC

Where have you read X51 are more susceptible to scoring?
Old 01-08-2017 | 11:54 PM
ewc
Racer

I don't recall, but here is an example -- http://www.renn-list.com/Light-bore-...0604436-7.html

I did say "allegedly," as the scoring issue is so uncertain. I would get consider getting a scope for a car with unknown service history at 111k, if I were looking.

Originally Posted by 996AE
EWC

Where have you read X51 are more susceptible to scoring?
Old 01-09-2017 | 12:05 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

I dont see how x51 engine mods have any impact on bore scoring.

Never heard that one.

Good luck with the PPI.
Old 01-09-2017 | 12:08 AM
beetleything
Racer

I would for sure take a look at the oil filter - which is really easy to do as i found it easy to get under the car just reversing the back wheels onto a couple of pieces of wood and dropping the filter to take a look.

X51 are NOT more prone to scoring - i would think the contrary as 40th AE has the bigger turbo bumper/radiators and vents which would make cooling better.
Old 01-09-2017 | 09:57 AM
mk1228
AutoX

I used Premier Euro Cars in Devon for a PPI on a 996 I purchased back in September. They did a great job and gave a solid detailed report, with cost estimates, for anything they found. Depending on where you work / live, it is within walking distance of the Devon train station (R5).
Old 01-09-2017 | 10:18 AM
innov8
AutoX

Thanks guys.

I'll ask the dealer if he is willing to give me a PPI 30 miles from his shop—and will reach out to both of them. Also, I was thinking about asking for a bore scope anyway as some 996 threads point to 'scoring' as a bigger issue than the IMS. It's a chore decoding reality from internet hype.

Appreciate the advice. Will report back results.
Old 01-09-2017 | 02:19 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Scoring probably takes out more cars than IMSb over the long haul - particularly considering how good the retrofit programs have become with LNE (certified installers & preferred installers).

Things I'd look for if buying a 996 (lessons learned from my purchase):
- immediately deduct $1-1.5k if tires are cracking on the inside of the treads (I checked tread but didn't realize cracking until after purchase & had to redo all 4 corners in short order for safety)
- brake pads, easy check
- interior wear parts, they can be replaced/freshened up. Don't be afraid to dock for anything in need of restoration
- engine mounts with saggy exhaust tips (doing mine for $125 so not a biggie, but it can be $500 or more at a dealer)
- check that DME.. Range 2 revs are essentially over-revs (Range 1 is just at the limiter). Check the hour any of these happened at in relation to total running time of the engine. Mine had 0 range 2 and very few range 1 (2,000 or so), so this was a blessing in my case. But something to focus on and understand in relation to internal engine wear.
- RMS seepage (you want a dry engine/transmission join seam)
- spoiler up/down motor groaning during use
- rubber seals around the windows, etc. good spot to deduct if they're in need of restoration
- body panel alignment
- Used Oil Analysis is a nice plus but rare from what I've seen unless it's a rennlist seller

GL with the AE ppi. As an 03 C2 owner they make me a little bit jealous .

Quick Reply: Looking for a PPI in PA. 996 40th Annverisary Edition