Sponsored by:

Daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Secular996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driver?

So how many of you DD your NA 996 and how many is this your only car?

I was set on a turbo but found a great deal on a 40th anniversary with the x51 package. But from reading tve forums and my previous post I've basically got the feel that eventually this motor is going to blow no matter how well its been maintained.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, why don't you go and buy a Toyota then?

V
Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Secular996
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Volkert
Well, why don't you go and buy a Toyota then?

V
So because I don't want to have to replace a motor... I should buyva Toyota. Lol??
Old 01-07-2017, 06:47 PM
IN RANGE inc.
Advanced

My wife drives hers daily as I do my Cayman S. Tools not trophies I always say. We made a jaunt out in the snow in her C4 today.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Secular996
Intermediate

Nice! I'm more worried because not just on this forum but other websites basically people say.. Its not if.. Its when. And as much as I like the platform.. I'm noy going to buy a car that is going to need a motor replacement in a year or two of driving
Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 PM
oregondave
Banned

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

It's nonsense just learn and maintain. 40th is probably best NA choice BTW, I'd be shocked if those specific x51 motors weren't more reliable than your typical m96. Do it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

These are fine cars for daily driving. I used to daily my '99 C4 Aero coupe in all kinds of weather. It had 148k miles on it when I sold it and it looked and drove fantastic.

Here are some other great shots to show that these cars hold up well, despite the reputation caused by a small percentage of engines:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...snow-pics.html
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Please sell your car...
Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Why would the motor "blow up" in a year or two???
Old 01-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Secular996
So how many of you DD your NA 996 and how many is this your only car? I was set on a turbo but found a great deal on a 40th anniversary with the x51 package. But from reading tve forums and my previous post I've basically got the feel that eventually this motor is going to blow no matter how well its been maintained.
Not sure you are cut out for 996 ownership. I don't mean that in a rude or elitist way. I just think the time you spend stressing about every potential issue will interfere with your ability to enjoy the car.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

OP,
You have been bit/hit by the "paranoia" of 996 ownership and there is NOTHING anyone can say from now on that will change/fix this. If somehow you manage to own one, you will always be hypervigilant about every tiny noise/drip/leak that will send you into panic overdrive, making it virtually impossible to enjoy it. Every drive in the car will be like "Russian roullette" for you, reminds us a member whose name I dread to utter...gasp (KRAZYK)

There are dozens of other PROBLEM(drama?) free cars out there that may better suit your needs. Best of luck.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Secular996
Intermediate

I drive my cars hard.. Take great care of them. But drive them hard and I heard about the scoring of the bores and a couple little other problems that turn into way bigger problems. I'm probably just paranoid, haha. Not worried about IMS.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Secular996
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kromdom
OP,
You have been bit/hit by the "paranoia" of 996 ownership and there is NOTHING anyone can say from now on that will change/fix this. If somehow you manage to own one, you will always be hypervigilant about every tiny noise/drip/leak that will send you into panic overdrive, making it virtually impossible to enjoy it. Every drive in the car will be like "Russian roullette" for you, reminds us a member whose name I dread to utter...gasp (KRAZYK)

There are dozens of other PROBLEM(drama?) free cars out there that may better suit your needs. Best of luck.

Youre right about paranoia,.. But wrong. I will very much enjoy the csr and not be worried about small stuff. If I was worried about the small stuff... My G and AMG would have got me out or cars. Lol
Old 01-07-2017, 08:05 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Secular996
Nice! I'm more worried because not just on this forum but other websites basically people say.. Its not if.. Its when. And as much as I like the platform.. I'm noy going to buy a car that is going to need a motor replacement in a year or two of driving
Please...Other websites are wrong, do a little more research and you'll find that the things most likely to cause issues can be (and many times already have been) resolved. The cars are great. I used to DD mine while my other car just sat, the stick gets old in traffic and it's not really appropriate for my work so now I switch back and forth. I drove it today. I'm probably going to drive it 140 miles to a frozen lake to drive it on that on Monday. And then back home. It's been from coast to coast and back again and been extremely reliable since I bought it 4.5yrs ago. I'm not concerned about the engine, it's more likely that someone rear-ends me in the snow and ice around here at a traffic light. I don't spend any more time getting it ready for a long trip than I do on either of the other cars (which is about zero).

They are (by far) the best Porsche bang for the buck available. I'd like a Turbo just because but at more than twice the price I'm not going to get anywhere near twice the enjoyment out of it. Probably makes more sense to get a second 996NA with some different features than my C2 (like a C4S Cab or whatever).
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 PM
tokika
Instructor

I have put 20k on mine in two years including two seasons of autocross. This is a tremendous car to drive every day. It will make you smile every time the tach sweeps into the upper numbers. Just enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Daily driver?