Sponsored by:

Quick stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:40 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick stereo help

i am pretty handy with stereos, mine came with an aftermarket one that won't kept its memory after the car is turned off, so I am wanting to Check out the wiring. I am this far, but seems like there is a bolt or something holding the trim and vents in place. Anyone know where it is or what I am missing? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:47 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

It's the head unit Hawk. Remove it and unplug the cable harness, and the center bracket should slide out, but again, the stereo must be removed first. Normally, the HU is locked into a mounting adapter (i.e. alum. cage) that will require left and right keys to unlock it. This is a security thing.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

I found the key for the stereo, got it out, and found wires electrical tapes all over the place. This was a pretty **** poor install. I think I will go to a stereo shop and have it cleaned up.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

^^

Exactly. Look up the installation instructions for your particular unit, and removal will be the reverse. You will likely need some sort of thin tool to remove it. You've already removed more of the center stack than needed. Check out this for a basic head unit install reference.

Edit: I didn't type fast enough! At that point, it's probably nearly as cost effective to just start over with a new HU! There are kits available...
Old 01-07-2017, 06:02 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 219 Posts

That looks like a Alpine HU, memory problem is the deck power wire need a continuous 12 volts source, and accessory wire hook to key switch power source, good one is the orange wire at the key switch.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Well, if the Becker audio/sound company had made a decent, reliable HU for the 996, then we probably wouldn't have to worry about making these changes. Becker used to make some of the best radios. In fact, my father, after he left the Navy (trained as an engineer), started an electronics shop and would install Becker in cars and felt they were some of the best that money could buy. Unfortunately, they got sloppy with the early MOST based systems like the CDR23, PCM1 and 2, etc. I really hope they make better versions in the future and it would be great to see them make a reliable replacement for single DIN and dual DIN applications. Something that could compete with Alpine, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, and other name brands.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i just went through a similar problem with my car. It came with a Pioneer single din, sounded fine but looked terrible, did not match the rest of the lighting or trim. I decided to replace with a double din unit from CAI, great guys to deal with, thanks Rennlist for turning me on to them!
Anyway, that aftermarket unit was not coming out for love nor money, despite some Amazon sourced keys.
Wound up taking the entire cupholder assembly out. The installer did a very nice job with the wiring, but had bent all the tabs for the cage in such a way that there was no way any key in the world alone would work.
It's out now, I'm very glad I took my time and avoided breaking anything. The new unit is on the way, complete with wireing and Porsche startup screen.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 AM
PNW_Boxer993
Track Day

+++ CAI. I purchased their kit - worked beautifully. Couple of months later I added kit for amp under passenger seat to power stock BOSE subwoofer box. CAI was awesome to work with. I really like my setup - Happy!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:01 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

So I had a mobile guy come out tonight. He was out with the car for 3 hours. Fixed the wiring that was electrical taped, hooked the rear speakers up, hooked all the correct wires up, and still no retaining memory and settings. Could be an issue with the head unit?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:32 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like an issue with the constant power/ignition power.

Assuming that the mobile guy knows what he is doing (as power is car stereo 101) i'd say its the head unit at fault, or maybe a ground problem.

Unless it is wired incorrectly and constant/ignition have been confused, that would cause those symptoms.

Easy to test:
1. Remove the head unit
2. Connect both constant + ignition to a 12v battery (as well as ground)
3. Turn on head unit and save a setting
4. Remove ignition wire from 12v
5. Reconnect ignition wire and see if the setting kept

That will rule out the head unit, if the process above is successful its the car at fault, piggyback the constant off another fuse in the fuse box thats switched with a jumper and run a wire to the head unit.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Hawk, normally I'd help you if this was a DIY project, but since you had a pro come and work on it, my best advice is call him and explain the radio is not working correctly.

The car will provide switched and non-switched 12V current. Both 12V lines need to be connected to the HU for it to work properly.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Sorry to bring this back to life. Never did get the stereo to retain its settings or memory. But another electrical thing is the interior lights. The dome light, map lights, and little puddle lights on the doors won't come on unless the key is turned to the on position. I am wondering if the same thing causing this to happen is what is messing with the stereo? I can't even switch the map lights on without the key, and it seems the puddle lights should come on when I open the door. What says you oh powerful gods of 996 electrical?? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

maybe the first guy that put in the stereo swapped a relay to the wrong spot, or made all the interior lights and stereo constamt source put to the wrong source on the panel
get another car/ or get a diagram and look at the whole panel and see if everything is correct
Old 01-28-2017, 12:23 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Originally Posted by OKB
maybe the first guy that put in the stereo swapped a relay to the wrong spot, or made all the interior lights and stereo constamt source put to the wrong source on the panel
get another car/ or get a diagram and look at the whole panel and see if everything is correct
Good advice. Any specific guidance? Pictures maybe? Sorry, I am a visual learner. And could the stereo and lights issue be due to the car going in to "transit mode"?

Last edited by HawkFan#12; 01-28-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:52 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I dont have anything to look at unless you find a fuse diagram or get somebody to picture your exact same car

Quick Reply: Quick stereo help