Sponsored by:

Mods to the '02 Targa (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:32 AM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to the '02 Targa (Pics)

Hey guys, I have been lurking around this forum for a while, so I figured it was time for me to finally share my car. I have recently completed a slew of mods in an effort to make the car unique to myself and to subsequently give it the new lease on life that it deserves. Mind you, it is a 2002 Targa (Tip) with 130k miles on it - Original IMSB with no plans on replacement.
Mods are as follows:

Afterhours Exhaust: My original PSE was rattling on the right side, and I had a desire for a more aggressive tone and a decrease in weight - this exhaust was almost exactly what I was looking for. Now that it is fully broken in, I can say that I absolutely love the notes that come from it.

KW V1 Coilovers: The factory struts on the vehicle were blown, and in an effort to dial the suspension to the next level (and a helpful discount from member GBX) I went with the V1's. So far I am satisfied. It was lowered roughly 1", as well as professionally corner balanced and aligned. Installed with new factory mounts.

C-Quartz Coating: The vehicle's paint has received a full, professional correction, and the factory 18" 5-spoke wheels have been sanded down and entirely refinished. The exterior, wheels, and interior then received a coat of C-Quartz. Car washes are now minimal effort and the paint really glows.

FVD Motorsport Oil Pan and OEM Skidplate: Oof, as much as I hate admitting this, after the car was lowered I had to take a speed bump straight on (due to circumstance) and tweaked the drain plug and it began to slowly drip. So, even though this new oil pan sits about .5" lower (and holds an additional 3/4 of a quart with baffles), I feel protected with the skid plate. I learned my lesson.

997.2 Style Tail Lights: I understand a lot of people dislike these. I personally think it updates the rear-end. Paired them with LED license plate bulbs.

Wheel Spacers: 15mm rear, 10mm front. Aesthetics initially, but I actually noticed better handling characteristics upon installation. I'll more than likely end up removing them, simply because I don't think its wise to mess with the engineers design. There is a reason they use lug-studs...

Window Tint: Can't remember the brand at the moment, but went with the higher-end 99% UV blocking film. 5% on the rear windows, and 50% up front. 100% on the windshield.

LN Engineering Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter Prevention of oil bypassing the cartridge filter.

Next Up: GT3 Center Console delete, parts already in hand - Just waiting for a good price on a CDR-23. H&R Sways? Brembo BBK? Bridgestone RE-71R's? Hmmm...

Pics:

Oil pan and skid plate shown.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:42 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice looking mk2. Keep the targa top lubed up!
Old 10-23-2016, 03:08 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice car! Great list of mods.

I agree with all of them except the rear lights but to each their own!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice Targa and long list of mods.Great looking 911!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks great. Not sure why you would remove the spacers or about your lug stud comment. For track duty, widening the stance is always a plus and racing studs makes wheel swaps much easier. I think the stock lug bolts are more of an aesthetics thing.

If tracking, a spare set of wheels and tires is a huge plus. I highly recommend NT01s on some decent scrub wheels. The 18" MY02 Carrera wheels are the lightest weight OEM and are perfect for the track. iRE71s are a really good for Autocross and a DD combo tire. But no tire is really good on the track and on the street. It's just two totally different requirements.

The stock brakes are really good with the right pads. BBK would be my last upgrade.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slakker
Looks great. Not sure why you would remove the spacers or about your lug stud comment. For track duty, widening the stance is always a plus and racing studs makes wheel swaps much easier. I think the stock lug bolts are more of an aesthetics thing.

If tracking, a spare set of wheels and tires is a huge plus. I highly recommend NT01s on some decent scrub wheels. The 18" MY02 Carrera wheels are the lightest weight OEM and are perfect for the track. iRE71s are a really good for Autocross and a DD combo tire. But no tire is really good on the track and on the street. It's just two totally different requirements.

The stock brakes are really good with the right pads. BBK would be my last upgrade.
Thanks, Slakker. Reasoning behind the stud concern has to do with proper torque. The studs were installed with proper torque procedures and a mild thread lock. However, even when the nuts that hold the wheel on are now at proper torque spec, it does not guarantee that the studs are (still) at proper torque spec. Maybe I am just paranoid. Anyway - Great recommendation on the NT01's. Do you happen to know how they compare to R888's?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:41 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting to see the turbo/4S front spoiler on there, it looks good. Someone else mentioned the possibility that this might not mate up well with the stock radiators the other day (for optimal airflow), and I'd be curious to know conclusively if thats a real concern or not
Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ion_berkley
Interesting to see the turbo/4S front spoiler on there, it looks good. Someone else mentioned the possibility that this might not mate up well with the stock radiators the other day (for optimal airflow), and I'd be curious to know conclusively if thats a real concern or not
Interesting thought. This was put on right after the 40th anniversary edition was released. I can report no cooling issues since installation.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjan4
Thanks, Slakker. Reasoning behind the stud concern has to do with proper torque. The studs were installed with proper torque procedures and a mild thread lock. However, even when the nuts that hold the wheel on are now at proper torque spec, it does not guarantee that the studs are (still) at proper torque spec. Maybe I am just paranoid. Anyway - Great recommendation on the NT01's. Do you happen to know how they compare to R888's?
I wouldn't sweat the studs. They are really nice to have.

R888 is a really good tire and in the same class as NT01. Can't go wrong with either of them for a track/Autocross tire that can last 20+ track days.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

As for the cooling it was track days that poster was having issues with.

Although it is something to keep in mind if you experience any overheating at DEs or autocross

Quick Reply: Mods to the '02 Targa (Pics)