Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fierofly
2003 C4S front without bumper
I finally figured something out which I guess, b3freak, you had already mentioned early on. If one add turbo ducts, the air that enters the bumper in the middle of the car has nowhere to go unless one has a third radiator - as seen in this photo.

However, 40AEs and C4Ss do not have a third radiator as standard equipment, so I guess if one wants to invest in lots of C4S or 40AE parts, this would not be a problem.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

One important note... The center grilles for the Turbo and C4S/40th AE are different. Since the Turbo has the center radiator as stock, the center grille has a open vent design, but the C4S/40th AE has a more restrictive center grille that works more like a dam than a vent. (see pictures)

Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by b3freak
One important note... The center grilles for the Turbo and C4S/40th AE are different. Since the Turbo has the center radiator as stock, the center grille has a open vent design, but the C4S/40th AE has a more restrictive center grille that works more like a dam than a vent. (see pictures)
Thanks! That helps make the overall picture pretty clear/complete.

And there’s still no sign of any way to get (almost) exact C4S/40AE aerodynamics except to use every single part between the bumper and the radiator exit vents.

It seems frustratingly close though. With the just the C4S bumper, center grill, and side radiator intake ducts, if you could attach the intake ducts to the Carrera radiators, it would be (almost) the same. There are two potential obstacles to attaching them. One, the exit end of the intake ducts may be too large. But the C4S radiators are only ~8% larger. If the exit end of the intake ducts is also 8% larger, where would that extra air go? If it would just go through the a/c condensors, it’s probably OK. If it would completely pass the the radiator and condensors on one side or above or below it might still be fine, but on the other hand, it might completely change the air flow after the radiators and condensors … .

The second obstacle is that it looks like the intake ducts attach to the radiators with screws, and if the holes are not in the same place … .

I assume it doesn’t miraculously happen that the C4S intake ducts connects well with the Carrera radiator. (Does anyone know?)

Assuming no, the best solution short of replacing everything would be if some aftermarket supplier of immitation Turbo/C4S bumpers also supplied an intake duct shaped like the C4S intake at the front, and the Carrera intake at the back.

Don’t supose anyone knows of such an intake duct?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As b3freak pointed out to me these Turbo bumpers will not fit our MK1 cars so options are limited for a change.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^Yep, you'll have to either go with an aftermarket bumper or the OEM Aero bumper, but the Turbo front bumper is not compatible with the Mk1 front light enclosures.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Learned something new: I talked to a vendor that sells genuine turbo bumpers as well as imitations. They say that you should cut away the top part of the Carrera duct so that the air that enters above it can still go into it. They added that any good body shop shoulld be able to do it.

Alas they don't have photos. And although there are very helpful photos on this thread, it's nonetheless hard to envision how that would look. (And somehow, I'm not very tempted to have my bumper removed just to look at it ... .)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Actually, that's pretty good advice. I was thinking about trimming my duct work to minimize air getting trapped at the top of radiator. If you look closely at the picture of my duct work, you'll noticed a lighter black section and the back being darker. The lighter section is rubbery and would be easy to cut off.

But as mentioned before, my car hasn't had any trouble maintaining the proper temp of 180F. I'm sure if you pushed the car really hard, the added air flow would be needed. My last trip to the mountains was very spirited to say the least and the car stayed cool the whole time. I wonder how it will be affected by summer temps? We'll see.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure there is a fan at the back pulling the air thru and away form the radiators so i don't think any air would be trapped.

The radiators don't have any problem cooling the engine down when the waters flowing thru them and your moving.
After reading Hartech's info about these cars i would personally install a LTT ( low temp thermostat) - as that will get the water flowing earlier.
It seems well documented that the Temp Stat is not the greatest at relaying the info as it's happening - i.e. your engine is a lot hotter than it says ( especially if your doing spirited driving).
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Slilghtly off topic, but I don't suppose anyone knows how much a Turbo bumper weighs (whether with or without the grills)? Or any other 996 bumper, for that matter?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:55 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I believe it's around 20 lbs without the grilles and lip spoiler.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:00 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by beetleything
Pretty sure there is a fan at the back pulling the air thru and away form the radiators so i don't think any air would be trapped.
There are fans behind the rads to pull air through the duct work, through the radiators, and forced out below the car. But the fan enclosures are form fitted for best performance; therefore, air that travels through the front vents and above the Carrera base duct work could get trapped and that's why it's best to use the correct Turbo/C4S duct work when using the Turbo front bumper.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the T/c4s has a bigger duct for the bigger intake.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^ and, because of the slightly bigger rads too. ;-)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Check this thread out RS10!

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...ale-996-a.html
Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the conversion on my old 996.2 narrow body--
my car served both as a commuter car in stop and go traffic and occasionally on the track at New Hampshire motor speedway

My conversion involved sourcing a Turbo bumper cover and ducting as my C4 had a center third radiator. I also used a C4S lower lip chin because the turbo lip is meant to work with the rear Turbo wing. The body shop had to fabricate a way to make the underside mount points match up.

I spent $1900 on the conversion with painting,labor and found the car was far more stable both on highway and on the track and there was no change in cooling.

There were maybe 3 times in 4 yrs that I encountered any scraping of the lip - clearance was fine

and the car looks waaaaaay better

The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Does a Turbo bumper really work on a Carrera / how to make it work?