Sponsored by:

Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:20 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I'm looking for something that adds bluetooth to the factory setup also.

Not interested in changing the headunit or amp (I have the MOST CDR23 setup).

Thinking about a Dension but the bluetooth version doesn't work with the CDR23 so it would have to be a Dension + Bluetooth to AUX which im not too keen on.
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
"MOST also is the connection to the CD changer for audio at least on a CDR 23" JayG you are saying there are no electronics between the head unit and the remote CD player, it is ONLY fiber optics? I am hoping there is still an electronic signal to tell the CD Changer to start up, etc. I had MOST in my '03 C4S, which I'd paid more attention to it.
Haven't a clue, sorry. I don't have a CD changer in my Boxster with CDR 23 and my Targa has aftermarket head and amp so I have no way of checking.

It could all be via the fiber

Any takers?
Old 12-29-2016, 04:32 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I did consider the itransit but I want that digital Bluetooth quality.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was it the Stones that said " You can't always get what you want"
Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I'm trying to figure out which Becker models have the CD option that use the blue plug. See below:
I have a CR-220 (and decent DIY skills) if you are still looking for additional Beta Testers.
PM Sent
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

To the original poster -

I'd hate to burst your bubble as you appear to have put a lot of effort into this, but have you done your research about competition in this area? Tranzit Blu has a plug & play unit for the CDR220 and other Becker radios that works flawlessly. What do you expect will be the edge to your product - price, features?

The Tranzit Blu unit for Porsche uses the CD changer port for input to the radio and for power to the bluetooth unit, which I presume is similar to what you are doing.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by JayG
Was it the Stones that said " You can't always get what you want"
Yep, this is true! Although I had hopes that a Bluetooth dongle made for the old Bose ipod docks might work! Yet to be tested though, I made a thread about it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932302
Old 01-04-2017, 03:59 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
To the original poster -

I'd hate to burst your bubble as you appear to have put a lot of effort into this, but have you done your research about competition in this area? Tranzit Blu has a plug & play unit for the CDR220 and other Becker radios that works flawlessly. What do you expect will be the edge to your product - price, features?

The Tranzit Blu unit for Porsche uses the CD changer port for input to the radio and for power to the bluetooth unit, which I presume is similar to what you are doing.
Transit Blue is Different and a more complicated install.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:33 AM
dan_189
Race Car

To the original poster -

​​​​​​
The transit blu unit adds a signal into the antenna in not the cd changer. ​​​​I think you're thinking of the dension gateway which makes the most think it's a cd changer but it only allows aux not Bluetooth.

I'm still interested in a digital Bluetooth option into the CDR-23
Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

​​​​​​
The transit blu unit adds a signal into the antenna in not the cd changer. ​​​​I think you're thinking of the dension gateway which makes the most think it's a cd changer but it only allows aux not Bluetooth.

I'm still interested in a digital Bluetooth option into the CDR-23
Exactly right Dan. The Transit Blue is a fairly complicated install in comparison, and is not specific to Porsche.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Hey Dave I'd say it's relatively straight forward to install the itransit if you're handy with car electronics. It takes the antenna in from the head unit into the itransit then the itransit goes into the head unit.

It's much less complicated than the dension which requires you to loop into the fibre optics and have the cd changer option activated (if you dont have one).

Although I've actually never attempted either of them due to indecision and the fact neither option is actually that good.

The downside of the itransit is that it's still an analogue signal tapped into the aerial which means the quality will never surpass anything more than a good strength radio station.

However the downside to the dension is you've only got 3 options - aux, ipod and usb and none of those are that great compared to the quality of Bluetooth!

Hence why a good digital Bluetooth option with a straightforward digital install is so appealing to me!

Although I could get a PCM2 and use the latest dension with Bluetooth built into it.

If I can help let me know, although I'm in Australia so I might not be much help!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Kudos to OP for tackling this. Sounds like a better approach than Tranzit Blue, however I've had the Tranzit for a couple of years and love it. I tried another antenna interface with a hard wire 1/8" for the headphone jack that didn't work well at all, so I was skeptical at first, but it's a different approach.

Actually, with any of them, the hardest job is getting the head unit out!
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (03-12-2020)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

I'm pretty sure the CDR23 will work. Worst thing that happens is the beta tester pulls the head unit out, verifies that the plug that comes with the kit will not work, and sends it all back for a full refund. Tranzit Blu and other generic devices plug into the antenna wire. The sound quality is pretty poor (ask me how I know).
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

​​​​​​
You are incorrect. The model I have plugs into the CD changer port and is a very simple installation (other than routing the wire for the mic). It does NOT use the antenna connection and it does not require a separate power source. It automatically connects to my iPhone every time and works perfectly.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLU-BKR235.html

I have no affiliation with the seller or the manufacturer. I'm just a happy customer who wants to dispel incorrect information about a very good product.

Last edited by wyovino; 01-06-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:29 AM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the CDR23 will work. Worst thing that happens is the beta tester pulls the head unit out, verifies that the plug that comes with the kit will not work, and sends it all back for a full refund. Tranzit Blu and other generic devices plug into the antenna wire. The sound quality is pretty poor (ask me how I know).
I would have to think it would work since its the output of the head unit that's digital and would think the CD changer input I'd analog. What would the cost be if I did a full photo documented install with positive response (that is if it works out). Please pm me if you like.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

You are incorrect. The model I have plugs into the CD changer port and is a very simple installation (other than routing the wire for the mic). It does NOT use the antenna connection and it does not require a separate power source.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLU-BKR235.html
Ok, now I see, the kit you bought is a generic Tranzit Blu, with an added pigtail with the CD player connector at one end and a stereo plug jack at the other end, that plugs into the "cell phone headphone jack" from the Tranzit Blu kit. Glad that you like your set up. The whole idea is to convert these old head units to bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion