Sponsored by:

996 Engine low compression in one cylinder Smoke on initial startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by oncman
The AWD works great, heated seats, back up sensors, nice side skirts... Just smokes on initial start up. Once warmed up it's fine.
While it is nice the AWD is working it will be of little to no value in bad weather.

The AWD system requires a speed difference between the rear wheels/tires and the front wheels/tires. The rear wheels/tires need to make more revs/mile than the front wheels/tires so torque is transferred from the rear axle to the front axle.

The range of torque transferred is between 5% to 40% with the 40% coming in at around 150mph.

If you find you have the car "stuck" and the rear tires are just spinning the front tires will get no torque and if you keep spinning the rear tires you'll just ruin the viscous coupling/front diff.

Also, some sets of winter wheels/tires are such that the speed difference between the sets of tires is very small so when these winter wheels/tires are used there is essentially no torque transmitted at any time.

As for the non-synthetic oil recommendation I can't see subjecting the rest of the engine to probably sub-par lubrication in order to accomodate a suspected bore scoring problem.

My opinion is if you decide to live with the scored bore -- and I am not convinced there is truly scored bore -- you should do so running an approved oil with the viscosity ranges suitable for the ambient temperature where you live/drive.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:04 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I see I have another thread to add...

here's my 1 of my scored cylinders (4&6 were the same)

smoke on startup. wicked knocking, Consumed 5L of oil in 1000km of driving.

here's my plugs, guess which ones are 4 & 6
Name:  20150301_205856_zpsmv4wvdre.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  42.0 KB

never once had a cell.

smoke went away after 10-20 seconds of idling. car pulled hard all day long at the track. was on Tesla's *** all night.

never once had a cell.

drive it to the ground. or spend 18k and DIY to fix it or send to a known builder and probably drop 20k +

There's a member here who has put quite the number of KM's on his car since finding out about his scored cylinders. Just adds oil and drives it.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine low compression in one cylinder Smoke on initial startup