Sponsored by:

Some winter fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:51 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Some winter fun

Well I didn't plan on staying in Wisconsin this long, but decided to stay to spend time with the family through the holidays. But I do get to have a little snow fun though until I move back to California, and with the right shoes on her she's a blast in the snow, it's just the other drivers you need to watch out for!
Attached Images     
Old 12-11-2016, 03:52 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Sadly I have not figured out yet how to make the photos upload in the right orientation
Old 12-11-2016, 05:17 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
Sadly I have not figured out yet how to make the photos upload in the right orientation

You just need to spin the car another 90 degrees :-)

The 996 is a great snow car, have fun with it!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I really really don't like snow. You just reminded me of why I moved away from Michigan.
We had a low of 65 last night... had to light a fire in the house. Brrrr.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:36 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Those tires have some impressive grip!

I spent one winter in Michigan; that was enough 'real winter' to last a lifetime.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks like a lot of fun, the trees covered in snow like that are beautiful.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Awesome pictures. It's hard to keep such a capable snow machine in the garage all winter long.

After 18 hours of almost continuous snow in the Chicago west burbs, I was pulling the kids around in the sled yesterday, got the snow blower out, the PowerWheels Jeep, even the mountain bike and used it to pull the kids.

The only thing missing is the 996. I'm in the hunt for one now.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 AM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

haha i considered doing this yesterday as we got about a foot of snow but that was to much for me lol

love the 2nd photo
Old 12-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to see another Porsche enjoying the snow. Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:08 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by tekkie
haha i considered doing this yesterday as we got about a foot of snow but that was to much for me lol

love the 2nd photo
We got a good amount yesterday, and the day before. Not quite a foot, but more than enough. Of course my baby brother (he's thirteen) and I had to go pretend to be rally racers in the safe confines of empty roads that were yet to be plowed. I am quite surprised at how well the car handles the snow and slush, though I do need to get some weight in the frunk to help with the massive understeer in the snow.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:16 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
I am quite surprised at how well the car handles the snow and slush, though I do need to get some weight in the frunk to help with the massive understeer in the snow.
Easily the biggest surprise I've had with the 996, both in snow and on dry roads. Mechanical grip beyond anything else I've driven.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:21 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Easily the biggest surprise I've had with the 996, both in snow and on dry roads. Mechanical grip beyond anything else I've driven.
Agreed! It makes the E36 M3 I had many years ago seem skittish. Two months ago when I was chasing my brother through the Blue Ridge parkway, he was in his 07 Cayman S, I was surprised, though also apprehensive from an earlier incident where I had to hit the brakes in the middles of a tight corner and I felt the rear end go all wonky as the weight shifted (a little poo came out then), but all in all chassing him at go to jail speeds through tightening sweepers (and he is a much faster driver than I) taught me quite a bit. Of course the first time he took off and I was trying to play catch up through a sweeper I was yelling to myself in the corner "don't lift, don't lift, don't lift!"
Old 12-12-2016, 06:27 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

I can see the nerves acting up when following a faster driver in a newer Cayman S

Haven't had much in the way of lift-off oversteer, personally. My learning points have been to really chuck the front end in tight switchbacks (the rear will follow). And more focus than a f/r car when the back starts to move - if you're not on top of the oversteer early it can get weird fast!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:33 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
I can see the nerves acting up when following a faster driver in a newer Cayman S

Haven't had much in the way of lift-off oversteer, personally. My learning points have been to really chuck the front end in tight switchbacks (the rear will follow). And more focus than a f/r car when the back starts to move - if you're not on top of the oversteer early it can get weird fast!
Come spring I'm thinking I'll probably want to try to some DE events. It certainly has been a little bit of a learning experience coming from my 01 Boxster S, where the weight balance just inspires confidence like no other and I could chuck it into any corner knowing it would forgive me if I was driving like an ape. But the 911's unique handling and all that weight over the back end do make for a hell of a good drive, especially coming out of the corners where you can put the power down so much better than any other car I've driven. Another unique thing compared to the Boxster is just how communicative the steering is, and I thought the Box had some talkative steering, but in the 996 I feel everything even more pronounced.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

DE event will be good to learn the boundaries. Put some good oil in it before and throw your regular blend back in after if it still has miles left. They're too much car imo to really push on public roads. I have enough fun at 8/10ths in the canyons to scratch the itch. I did a DE right after getting IMS work done and had a blast. Learned some good pointers on corner approach/exit throttle, etc. Definitely feel more safe knowing what not to do.. which can be summed up as: don't initiate high speed turn entries with sharp inputs.

Quick Reply: Some winter fun