Sponsored by:

New to Me C4S - Need Winters Wheels + Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:52 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Me C4S - Need Winters Wheels + Tires

I just bought my C4S this year and I need to get a pair of winter wheels and tires. (2003 C4S)

I live in a fairly mountainous region that gets a LOT of snow. I started looking for wheels but became confused with so many different widths and offsets. Can anyone recommend a good size wheel (front and back) for fairly heavy snow?

I know that once the snow depth hits the ride height = game over. I'm just looking to get the best traction I can, assuming the fact that the conditions are drive-able.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian964
I just bought my C4S this year and I need to get a pair of winter wheels and tires. (2003 C4S)

I live in a fairly mountainous region that gets a LOT of snow. I started looking for wheels but became confused with so many different widths and offsets. Can anyone recommend a good size wheel (front and back) for fairly heavy snow?

I know that once the snow depth hits the ride height = game over. I'm just looking to get the best traction I can, assuming the fact that the conditions are drive-able.

Thanks
Have you checked with TireRack? It offers winter wheel/tire sets for these cars. (That is I've never bought any but a few times I looked and found a set. The need to actually buy just never materialized.)

With the C4S you want to get a set of wheels/tires that maintains the proper front tire diameter to rear tire diameter ratio so the AWD viscous coupling is not compromised. (The rear wheel/tire diameter is just a bit less than the front so the rear tires make just a few more revs per mile than the fronts.)

And you want a pretty narrow tire. Wider tires tend to "float" on top of the softer layer of snow while narrower tires get pushed down to where the grip is better.

Or you can check with your local Porsche dealer. it should have a booklet on wheel/tire combinations for your car with sizes and such. You don't have to buy the Porsche wheel/tire set but you can use this as a reference to make up your own winter wheel/tire set.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:49 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd go with tire rack , the cup 4 wheels
I've got a set with winter tires on , I bought them off a guy who crashed his c4s
They are 18s with the c4s offset , not a perfect fit on my c2 , but I hardly use it in the winter .
Old 11-19-2016, 01:13 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

"winter tires" becoming a "popular" thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...s-for-c4s.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-and-rims.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-steelies.html
Old 11-21-2016, 03:47 PM
numbah9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that 17" winter tires are a lot cheaper than 18" winter tires. I recently looked around and, just from TireRack, the 17" tires were literally half the price of 18s.

Used 17" wheels were harder to find, though.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 AM
944visage
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought 235/40/18 for front and 275/35/18 for use on my OEM 2003 C4S wheels since can't afford new wheels now and am going to give these a try for the winter.

Here is another forum thread with great info and posted more details over there on page 2.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nd-rims-2.html

Quick Reply: New to Me C4S - Need Winters Wheels + Tires