Sponsored by:

I need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Dxb911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Help ASAP

My car is 996 99 model unfortunately water went under the driver seat and the unit under the driver seat damaged the service center asked me to change it and change the DME but the DME location is the back seat and the water didn't reach that place i need advice from the expert please
Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving your thread to the 996 forum.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 117 Posts

It's your immobilizer that got wet. It's located under your drivers seat. Disconnect the battery and get the thing dried out. And yes, it's an absolutely idiotic location for it.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:21 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% chance You're going to need a new one and it will need to be programmed.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:44 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

If the water damage is fresh-water and recent, you may get lucky and be able to save it. Take it out and submerge it in rice for a couple of days to thoroughly pull the moisture out. Nothing to lose at this point...

My car had partially corroded immobilizer circuit board from previous owner, which instigated all kinds of electronic quirks. It apparently kept working, but the water corroded the electronics beyond repair over time and had numerous issues which gradually got worse over time. I'd park the car and not be able to lock the passenger door, sometimes windows would roll down on their own, convertible top would not work, remote would not lock car as all central locking functions were disabled... When it got to the point that the car would sometimes fail to start I finally got wise to the situation and found the water damage (thanks to rennlist).

Dealer will charge you a minimum of $550 for immobilizer (probably more) and then another $150-$300 labor fee for the time it takes to program the damn thing... and since your old keys will be useless at that point, they will also charge you around $250 for each new key. When it's all said and done, you're looking at roughly $1600 total if you want two working keys and factoring in taxes.

I recommend you remove the ECU and Immobilizer from your car, and send those (along with your keys) to this company in south florida: http://www.ecudoctors.com/

With ECU Doctors you're looking at around a $800-$1000 experience.

FYI: Porsche dealership is absolutely prohibited from re-flashing used Immobilizer, whereas ECU Doctors can re-flash a good one from a salvaged car, just make sure you get one that doesn't have water damage. There are parts resellers who will offer money back guarantee for 30 days or so, if you go that route.

ECU doctors also have developed a water proof case for the immobilizer which you may want to consider.

Best of luck.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Mine has gotten wet a few times due to various problems with the drains. Twice I found it opening and closing the locks continuously due to water. In each case if took the unit out, opening the case, removed the circuit board and used electrical cleaner spray to clean it and stop any corrosion. It has always removed for me.

Now I have learned all the drains and th ticks to keeping them cleaned out (this is for a cab).

The bigger problem has been drying out the carpeting when it has gotten wet. There is a lot of closed cell foam and styrofoam on the back of the carpet that is really hard to get dry and compartments/recesses in the floor pan that fill with water. This fall I actually took half the carpet out (cut it at the console area) to thoroughly dry it. Even with the carpet out it took several days for it to dry.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Jaetee... That's good advice. Wonder if the OP is even getting these helpful comments?

Quick Reply: I need Help ASAP