2nd Gear really bites hard!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"Don't make fun of me here... hahaha but it sounds like a wah-wah guitar."

Oh, that's easy...your car has the "Sly and the Family Stone/P-Funk Mod".
HA! That's it!!!!!

I knew it "had the funk"!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Bubrubb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
HA! That's it!!!!!

I knew it "had the funk"!
It's got the funk in the frunk!

Transmission mount is a great place to start. Mine was starting to separate from the housing. 2001 with 47k.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://importecautoparts.com/parts/...5%20055%2005/3 try these guys that's where I got my Trans. Mount when I did mine and for $55.65
Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Device! I appreciate it!!!

Question: How many tranny mounts does the car use?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Device2
Racer

Mine had one. Also I guess there is a special tool available, P/N# 104886090 to remove the old Trans. Mount and install without completely removing it from the car. But shelling $330 for that tool I just improvised and looked up a few DIYs. Cut the old one out then froze the new mount prior to install, used some Home Depot tubing can't recall the exact size and a 6-ton bushing press to push the new one in paying attention to the guide notch on the tranny and the alignment triangle on the mount along with some TLC hammering persuasion and in she went.

Last edited by Device2; 10-21-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Bubrubb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only one transmission mount. Two motor mounts.

You may not need to actually replace the mount (I believe JayG used a drill press to get his out), but just reinforce it with an insert.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Porsc..._Mount_Insert/

I just needed to use the insert, as the mount hadn't failed, it was just starting to weather and crack.

As a side note, what do your motor mounts look like?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:03 AM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Motor and transmission mounts will get springy and bouncy just from the rubber being so old, even if they appear to be in good condition - Replacing the motor mounts and adding the transmission mount insert were the first things I did to my car after getting it, and it made a world of difference - drivetrain stays in place now and makes shifting much more predictable. If the dual-mass flywheel is getting worn out, it can cause noticeable slack in the drivetrain as well, which is pretty easy to feel on acceleration/deceleration transitions and also can contribute to clunky feeling shifts.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bubrubb
Only one transmission mount. Two motor mounts.

You may not need to actually replace the mount (I believe JayG used a drill press to get his out), but just reinforce it with an insert.

I just needed to use the insert, as the mount hadn't failed, it was just starting to weather and crack.

As a side note, what do your motor mounts look like?
I must admit, I'm more electronically inclined that mechanically inclined and so I am clueless to these types of repairs, but I do have a mechanic in the family that has a lift. Or, maybe I'll just put it on stand and take some pictures. But I have no idea what condition they're in.

The car has spent all of it's life in Georgia and I still stay in contact with the original owner who was is a doctor in Atlanta. He explained that the car was only serviced by Porsche and always garaged. We have a mild climate in GA, and so the car wouldn't have seen much cold weather. Not that it matters in this case, but I thought I'd bring it out in context for the discussion.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:37 AM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fix is lots easier if its the motor mounts. Are you exhaust tips level? Are they sagging? If so an hour invested in swapping motor mounts could cure your problem.

Replacing the tranny mount is a lot more work. The bulk of the work is getting the original one out. The less work option is the add on support.

I would be inclined to replace the motor mounts prior to the tranny mounts unless I knew they were good.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:07 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B3,

Your car most likely has the original transmission mount and if so it is almost positively worn out. Device2 gave the directions for "the fix". That said, it is also best to do this when you have the tranny out anyway. In car replacement is miserable at best. I believe it was Function First that came up with the inserts for the tranny mount. I haven't used them but, at least in theory, they should work well, are a fairly easy install without dropping the tranny and, come in different densities so that you can stiffen up the mount if you are so inclined.

I have replaced the tranny mount in two 996s. In both cases the engine mounts had already been replaced and while they made a difference, second gear engagement was still jerky and inconsistent. The tranny mount is THE mount that limits for/aft movement of the drivetrain. In both cases the second gear shift smoothed out and the drivetrain felt MUCH more nimble and "tight". Made the whole car just feel better.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:58 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Well, here's a picture of my tranny mount. I'm not expert but the rubber appeared to be fine a part from the dirt and grime. Your thoughts?

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 10-22-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:27 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I really appreciate the advice from everyone especially the PM about specific steps to take to resolve this issue. Talk about luck. I worried all weekend about this problem and went to drive the car on Saturday and looked down... and guess what? My brand new rear Michelin Pilot Sport was flatter than a fritter! Uggh!!!!! Yep, brand new and took them out ONCE and returned with a screw in it. I plugged it, but sure hope for what I paid for those tires, it will hold.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Device2
Racer

B3, from looking at your trans. mount picture it looks like you might be missing a section of the Trans Carrier Stop. (P/N: 99637525505) sample of complete one below.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Device2
B3, from looking at your trans. mount picture it looks like you might be missing a section of the Trans Carrier Stop. (P/N: 99637525505) sample of complete one below.
Are you talking about that black piece? That looks like the Transmission mount inserts sold my Function First.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-function...8BEaApcK8P8HAQ
Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Device2
Racer

Yes sir, the black piece there is a stock one that feels more like a cut up rubber inter-tube. The stock one doesn't have the teeth that protrude into the assembly like the FF ones. But don't worry I don't think the missing section would play that much of a difference besides pure esthetics.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear really bites hard!