Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Doing AOS- rear intake plenum boot - how on earth to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:23 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good god, I'm so dreading this one when it comes. I tried get my indy to do this preemptively while the engine was out...he declined. Great job OP
Old 10-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Good god, I'm so dreading this one when it comes. I tried get my indy to do this preemptively while the engine was out...he declined. Great job OP
"Hey, uh, while you're there, how about - "

"Nope. Not gonna do it."

"You don't even know what I - "

"AOS. Not gonna do it."
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to lie, it's not super easy like an oil filter change but if you'd be comfortable changing an alternator, starter or thermostat you could probably do this if you take your time.
Originally Posted by mrjonger
Don't understand an indy not doing it if the motor is already out though- that is just so weird. It would probably be a 10 minute job with everything accessible. The hardest thing by far is just working with the cramped quarters.

Thanks for the congrats, but it's premature at this point! I'll probably screw up doing my other work and either start the car on fire or throw the timing chain LOL

E: Forgot a few steps!

To do list (in rough order):

Clean top of motor
Finish AOS install
Replace alt-starter-jump point cable
Replace RH timing tensioner
Re-bearing belt idlers (Pretty sure they are original right now - IIRC just standard 6202 bearings so I grabbed some nice SKF ones from the shop to throw in there)
Clean the throttle body
Re&re and clean the idle air valve

FIN!!!~~!

Last edited by spud72; 10-26-2016 at 11:25 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah, I'm going to guess it's because he has a fat backlog, and my car gave him some unexpected difficulties and pushed back his schedule even more. He was feeling the pressure from other customers. So he just said eff it because the AOS readings were fine. He was polite about it and I could have pushed back.

I was just being lazy, I'll save money by doing it myself.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:42 PM
spud72
Instructor

So I am buttoning everything back up and just about to call it a day as my flashlight is running low on charge, but I have a mystery plug I need to figure out where it goes.

It's on the same harness as the idle control valve and throttle position sensor (right off the throttle body) but it's on a lead about 12" long, which puts it in the vicinity of the PS pump and AC compressor, but I don't really see any plugs that mate with it.. at least not readily visible.

It could go on the alternator side, but I know I have the alternator plugged in. Ideas? I am not desperate yet but if someone knows off the top of their head that would be awesome.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:43 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Air flow sensor in the filter box?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Plugs into the thing (I forget what that is..evap purge valve?) over and on top of the alternator, to the left of the TB

Old 11-07-2016, 10:22 AM
spud72
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Plugs into the thing (I forget what that is..evap purge valve?) over and on top of the alternator, to the left of the TB

Nope, not that. I have that one done. Looks like exact same style of plug though so easy to make the mistake. Pretty sure it's the RH side of the motor.
Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Air flow sensor in the filter box?
If I understand you right, that's got its own lead from the RH side.. different shape too. I don't think it would reach anyhow, unless I am just misunderstanding you?

I'll just have to take a better look, I ran out of time yesterday. That AC compressor keeps getting in the way and is a pain in the butt.

OH, meant to ask, you guys that have pulled that compressor, are you able to get that rear bolt out? I can't do it without opening the high-pressure line and I certainly am not going to do that. The rear bolt head just is in the perfect position to hit that steel line.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:29 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Since I made a mistake on mine while buttoning things up....the left side rubber ring of the front plenum has the vacuum port on it. I forgot to connect the hard plastic vacuum line back into that and the car ran like crap until I backtracked and found it disconnected. Thought I had done something wrong in all that work, but just turned out to be that.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...I just went out and looked at mine. The three bundles of wires under the TB, one connects to the ICV, one to the TPS (both on the TB) and one goes to the evap purge valve. I did not see any wire bundle going over to the right. However, I cannot see the backside of the AC compressor. Did you undo that for some reason? Definitely not the one for the MAF sensor on the air filter box. From your picture, I'm not seeing the wire connector to the ICV on the TB...and chance you missed that one?
Old 11-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

There's no such injector/valve type connector on the right side of the throttle body in that area as far as I remember. There's the engine compartment temp sensor on top of the right intake manifold but I don't remember if it uses this type of connector.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:19 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

I know this is kind of a goofy picture, but it does show the three wire bundle under the TB. The orange seal one plugs into the throttle position sensor, the square one plugs into the Idle Control Valve on the throttle body, and the third one goes over to the evap purge valve.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:55 PM
spud72
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996

You were absolutely correct - that's what I get for not reading your post properly. I had decided in my mind you meant the one to the left of the alternator - not the one on top which is exactly as you described it. I thought the one in red, you obviously meant the one in blue and that is it.

Thanks!

Also, champ job on detailing your engine man. You should do a post about that!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:05 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

LOL. Thanks. 99 C2 w/138K miles. Anyway, I really need to find a way to circle and point to things in my pictures. Good job and I hope it is warming up for a test run very soon.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Oh, and one other anomaly I have had with the TB cable (having removed that several times), finished up the whole job and started. Really fast idle...like 1200-1300 RPM. I found that the throttle cable was holding open and was not allowing a full return to idle position. Undid the throttle cable and pulled it. The backside of the throttle cable "snapped" into the little black plastic holder on the TB and that was it. When you're tired, you miss stuff.

Quick Reply: Doing AOS- rear intake plenum boot - how on earth to remove?