Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Doing AOS- rear intake plenum boot - how on earth to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do. For removing those pinch clamps though, do you just cut them or get through the "hole" and pry them apart?

OH, almost forgot, I found for that back bolt once I got the motor dropped darn near to the cross member, I was able to get that bolt with the 1/4" extensions (2 of them) but with the universal I just couldn't get enough torque on it to break free. I was able to just fit the ratchet straight on the extensions and finally broke it free after several curse words. So, if a guy takes your time and lines it up, you can do it without a universal! Shocked me, to be honest.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by spud72
Will do. For removing those pinch clamps though, do you just cut them or get through the "hole" and pry them apart?

OH, almost forgot, I found for that back bolt once I got the motor dropped darn near to the cross member, I was able to get that bolt with the 1/4" extensions (2 of them) but with the universal I just couldn't get enough torque on it to break free. I was able to just fit the ratchet straight on the extensions and finally broke it free after several curse words. So, if a guy takes your time and lines it up, you can do it without a universal! Shocked me, to be honest.
That's what my post #13 said, rachet with extension and socket

I use this type of pliers for those spring hoses

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4525-Cabl.../dp/B000F5JM0O

You can try to use those needle nose vise grip pliers too.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:53 PM
spud72
Instructor

I've got one of those but these clamps don't look like the spring type. I'll try and take a photo to explain.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

My fault. I thought I had used a universal.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:25 PM
spud72
Instructor

They look kind of like this. Did you guys have a couple of these on your AOS too?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spud72
They look kind of like this. Did you guys have a couple of these on your AOS too?
Oteiker clamps! Yeah, either cut with a dike at the ear or pry on the ear to make the ear loose and the whole clamp will loose tension.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:47 AM
spud72
Instructor

You sonofa()&%#@
Got it.
Name:  yEFVv7S.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  36.1 KB
Finally.

What a royal pain. The final insult was after I had it exposed 2 of the hose clamps were those pinch-type and the eye to wedge open was in the most awkward position possible. Then squeeze connect on the big bottom left hose refused to budge. Took me darn near 2 hours just to free it. Finally after loosening everything else I was able to wiggle it enough to break it loose.

Then, as I was pulling the AOS out 1 of the hose clamps fell off and I don't know where.

I have to find it - crankcase had an open port and if it fell in there I am having a bad day. The good news is I put my snake camera over it and don't see it in there - so that's a good sign - but I will not be able to sleep if I put this thing back together without finding it. Hopefully in the daylight tomorrow I will be able to snag it, then start on re-assembly.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I bet the next time you do a job like this (will there be a next time?) you'll stuff some rags in those open ports... Good luck finding that clamp
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 702 Posts

You can see from my earlier picture the rags stuffed in the intakes. Did that prior to pulling out the AOS. Also covered it with towels just to make sure. The damn thing is - I almost screwed up. After getting the new AOS back in, I sat there and did several trial fits of the intake manifold, then decided I was ready to go, put the intake manifold in place, worked it back into the rear plenum...and then duh!! Pull back out and take the rags stuffed into the intakes out. Sheesh! Go slow and think it through every step of the way. You are almost there. And yes, find that clamp. Maybe a magnet down the intakes. Also find the IPhone is invaluable for taking snapshots of hard to reach/see places. Maybe a straight shot picture down the intakes would help you find it.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:21 AM
spud72
Instructor

Oh I had the ports covered, the one I am concerned about with the crankcase is actually what the AOS itself was mounted on and became exposed as I pulled it out. Tough to cover it ahead of time as I am removing it

I am pretty confident it's not there though, I had to manipulate the AOS pretty heavily in removing it so that clamp is probably anywhere but around there. I am optimistic I'll find it in the better light though.

I hope!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:45 PM
spud72
Instructor

Any of you guys know the torque spec for the 2 AOS bolts? Can't find in my Bentley book.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

7.5ftlb if it's an M6. I just wing it though.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 AM
spud72
Instructor

Yeah I'll go by feel. Thanks man. Reassembly has begun.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 PM
spud72
Instructor

So just an update on the status of the mysterious missing pinch clamp...

I literally looked over the entire block/head/sides of the engine and engine compartment and couldn't find the clamp both by eye and with help of my snake cam in areas I couldn't easily see.

I stuck the camera into the AOS crankcase opening even further and no sign of the clip. I removed the rags from the intake and stuck the camera in all the way to the valves if somehow by fluke it made its way past. Nothing. I spent probably over 3 hours doing this yesterday.

I took the old AOS and checked the orientation of the port from which the clamp that would have been missing. It was then that I had an epiphany that it was readily accessible... in fact so readily accessible and I wouldn't have left it on. I also had a shadow of a memory of holding a mangled clamp in my hand after bending it loose. I then realized that I am almost certain I pulled it off when I loosened it and just immediately threw it away. Of course garbage day was yesterday so I couldn't rummage through the can to be positive but I do remember holding a clamp like that and it is the only one it could be since there was only 2 clamps and I still have one.

So to be extra safe, I replaced the old AOS to its original installed position and went through the motions of removing it to see where it could have possibly fallen if by off chance it was still on There is no way it would have fallen backwards into the AOS port that would have become exposed as I removed it - it was just too far away and behind and it wouldn't have fallen in some place that I haven't looked over with a fine tooth comb.

So I am satisfied with any real degree of uncertainty that the clamp is not posing a danger and almost certainly thrown away. As such I have begun to clean up the dirt/leaves/debris on top of the motor and start the reassembly process. Yay, half way through the job!

Next steps:
Vacuuming/Cleaning the topside of the motor
Replacing and buttoning in the new AOS
Replacing the alternator/starter/jump point cable
Replacing top right cam chain tensioner, conveniently located under the AC compressor
fin!
Old 10-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

I think I am going to have to spring for my Indy to do this job when the time comes. It seems a bit more complicated than changing my cabin air filter.

Quick Reply: Doing AOS- rear intake plenum boot - how on earth to remove?