996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a 2000 C2 PPI report....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could buy my car for that price and get the experience of a cross country trip too!
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 PM
trident82
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's no doubt a beautiful 911 sir! I bet the cab is fun as well in your neck of the woods.

So what might be a fair price to offer, and some good questions besides the detailed maintenance history on this one in nashville, if anyone is inclined to weigh in on it?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5783650160.html
Old 10-06-2016, 06:30 PM
trident82
Intermediate

Ok sorry to bug you guys, but I just got of the phone with a gentlemen with the 99 silver c2.

I ask him the following questions....how many owners, and how long you've owned it?

He said he is the second owner, and has owned it since 2001, putting roughly 25,000 miles on it himself.

I ask him if he had detailed service, and maintince records?

He said he did, and that it was serviced under warranty always at the porsche dealership, then afterwards at the exotic shop in town.

I ask him about the possibility of PPI?

He said no problem has absolutely nothing to hide

I ask him when was all the new parts, and IMS work done?

He said he just had all the work done, and has hardly driven the car since performing all the work.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5772003
849.html

Thoughts about it, and it's fair market value?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Does the radar detector mean anything to you? If not, offer 20k and tell him he can keep the radar system.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things immediately flag it as a no for me.

First having the IMSB "just done" is a red flag at least to me. Nobody drops 2-4k for an IMSB and then dumps the car, without a reason.

Second anybody that would drive a 996 on Bridgestone run flats doesn't know how to drive and doesn't know what a 996 should feel like. First 996 I bought had Bridgestone run flats on it and it rode like a truck and handled worse. Swapped on some PS2s and magically the suspension was fixed.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate cars with all sorts of electrical add ons. It looks like a nice car...probably very good in bed too...and the price is too high. I don't care about the miles. Why did he do all that work and now he is selling it? I'd rather pay $15000 and then do that kind of work myself. $4000 of radar dector is usless. Please excuse me but you are jumping around like a sailor who has been at sea for two years and finally gets to see a woman naked.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 PM
trident82
Intermediate

The guy told me why he was selling, and it makes sense but who knows. I don't intend to offer 25k for it. I thought I wanted one of these to have all the important components replaced or taken car of prior to buying it???

I would also use the fact I don't care about the radar in the price discussions.

One minute I think I'm on the right track, then the next I think I'm on the wrong track.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Don't listen to Johnnie. You are doing fine. You are asking good questions and listening to the answers. The cool thing about this forum is you will get many different answers to the same question. You just have listen to your gut and go with the ones that resonate with you.

It's a good point tharbin made about just having the IMSB done and selling it. If he did it for preventative maintenance then that's fine. He should have the old on and it should be in great shape. But if he found metal in the oil pan or filter and was swapping before it went totally out the. You will want to pass. Once the IMSB starts failing, the shaft itself gets out of tolerance and will eventually cause the replacement to fail as well.

There is a pre qualification process for doing an IMSB retrofit. It would be good to know if the mechanic followed it prior to installation.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Opinions will vary. Personally I'm of the camp that I'd rather have the original IMSB and hopefully even couple-of-month-old oil when the PPI is done. Or... the IMSB was done a while ago but then if the car had clean oil, I wouldn't hesitate, I would walk, no run, for the exit.

It seems nice to have it "all taken care of" and cheaper. The problem is that sometimes the IMSB was done, or even a just done oil service, to hide the already failing engine.

996s are great and dependable cars but you need to exercise tough love when buying one. Believe it or not there are a few people that would gladly dump there "about-to-be-a-20k-problem on someone else. Most of the 996s will run 100ks of miles without any major problems; your mission--find and buy one.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes! $4,000 will pay for a lot of speeding tickets!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by trident82
He said he just had all the work done, and has hardly driven the car since performing all the work.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5772003
849.html

Thoughts about it, and it's fair market value?
Three things make me suspicious about this car:

- IMSB recently done and he's not driving it but has it for sale
- Run flat tires - who in his right mind would put run flats on a 996?
- The car is obviously lowered (on the front anyhow) but there is no mention of any suspension upgrade or parts

I like the C4S much better.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM
trident82
Intermediate

10-4 guys, gonna most likely cross the 99 c2 off the list....thanks

I actually really like the seal gray C4S, and he's calling me back any time now to answer my questions, any specific things you guys can think of?

Things Ive written down...

1. when was the required work done, including the ims/rms work?

2. when was the clutch, slave and master cylinder, and other new parts listed added to car?

3. how many owners, any accidents, bodywork, and does it have a clear carfax?

4. do you have detailed maintenance/service reports?

THANKS guys
Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 PM
tharbin
Instructor

I just looked at the C4S. It looks like a good car and at that price, hard to beat.

Anyway, my comment is your question about: required service ims/rms.

The RMS is only required if it leaks, they do not all leak. The IMSB is NOT required work. It is a personal choice since if you need one, it is already to late to install one. Many, many 996s go through life on their original bearing. It is not a forgone conclusion that the original will fail nor is it a forgone conclusion that the replacement will not fail.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm sure there are lots of questions you should be asking, but a couple that come immediately to mind:

- what has been the frequency of oil changes?
- how much oil needs to be added between oil changes?
- when was the IMSB replaced and what specific replacement part was used?
- any oil leaks?
- any CEL codes?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 PM
trident82
Intermediate

Just had a 45min. conversation with the gentlemen selling the c4s.

He is a former Porsche service manager with years of time working on pcars. All recent work was done by the Porsche dealer and is under warranty. The car was somewhat neglected by its last owner, so this guy went ahead and preemptively replaced ims/rms, and then replaced all the other parts listed totaling over 13k. Has had no paintwork, but has a small unnoticeable mark on the rear bumper, and at some point in time he said the front bumper was replaced, but again my understanding is no body damage or paint work has ever been done.

He has all his records, but prior to his ownership it's spotty. No leaks. He said no codes are on. The IMS and RMS replacement with LN Engineering bearing.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 2000 C2 PPI report....