996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anti-roll bars / stabilisers versus springs – effect on ride comfort

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow. Pardon the lack of proof reading on the last post. Rake will help even more than Take. Lol.

Ohlins have a great reputation. Getting you PSS9's tested and rebuilt as required will help some. Going with a two way adjustable with a higher spring rate will help some. But going up in spring rate will decrease your daily comfort.

I just spent 3 days on the track on an M030 (US) suspension with 30k miles and 245F/275R NT01s. And I drove the crap out of this thing like I never had before. In the passenger seat, it felt floaty, but when driving, it was extremely forgiving and crazy fast. I was 3s quicker than with KW v3s and 245F/315R NT01s. The biggest difference was learning to heel/toe and trail brake. I was in the advanced group and was passing 500, 620 and 700hp Mustangs and Camaros. I'll update my silver thread with more details.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
The PSS9's have a front spring rates of 285F and 570R for the main springs.

Ultimately though it sounds like you will eventually need to go with a PSS10 or KW V3 to get the balanced performance you are looking for.
Interesting. I thought there was very little difference between PSS9 and 10s, but it sounds like the PSS9s have stiffer springs. 285 and 570 = 50 and 100 Nmm.

Stiffer front springs might help with float. But as I mentioned above, so might softer front springs, or at least springs that are softer in front relative to the back.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
As for aero, the 996 is a 40th AE, so it has the C4S front end (very much like the turbo) and it has the GT3 rear deck wing and rockers. So I suspect I am covered appropriately with the correct body panels aero-wise.
Probably, but perhaps not definitely. The C4S bumper & spoiler eliminates roughly half the lift of the normal version. I believe the Turbo version eliminates pretty much all of it. So on it's own, if the C4S bumper gives you an improvement, the Turbo bumper might double it. Alas, I believe the aerokit II rear wing will eliminate all rear lift and might even create downforce. Either way, the combination will raise the front a bit relative to the rear which will increase lift at the front. As the only difference between the C4S and Turbo front ends is that the Turbo's spoiler extends the full width of the car, perhaps there is an add on spoiler you can use with the C4S front end?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:31 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Probably, but perhaps not definitely. The C4S bumper & spoiler eliminates roughly half the lift of the normal version. I believe the Turbo version eliminates pretty much all of it. So on it's own, if the C4S bumper gives you an improvement, the Turbo bumper might double it. Alas, I believe the aerokit II rear wing will eliminate all rear lift and might even create downforce. Either way, the combination will raise the front a bit relative to the rear which will increase lift at the front. As the only difference between the C4S and Turbo front ends is that the Turbo's spoiler extends the full width of the car, perhaps there is an add on spoiler you can use with the C4S front end?
I have seen aftermarket lips that extend all the way across the front of the C4S bumper. My car is pretty low, and I already rub the front lip quite often, so I'm concerned about even more scraping. I had to modify my driveway, and irregularities around town require a slow angled approach. Ground to front fender lip is 25". Rear is 25 1/8".

Quick Reply: Anti-roll bars / stabilisers versus springs – effect on ride comfort