Sponsored by:

Adjusting Headlight Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:58 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Adjusting Headlight Assembly

I cannot for the life of my find a thread or How-To on adjusting the entire headlight assembly. My passenger side head light isn't lining up with the fender - how does one adjust the headlight assembly? Please & Thank you
Old 09-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at mine there are adjustment nuts under the plate that holds the headlight in place. Macster posted this in another thread:

Originally Posted by Macster
Having a hard time understanding how the mounting bracket (or platform), the platform upon which the headlight nacelle fits into and which holds the electrical connectors for the headlight can account for a non-functioning headlight.

Unless I guess the mounting platform is broken and the connector isn't lining up properly. (I had a connector break in my Turbo's passenger headlight, it broke from the forces caused by hitting a mule deer.)

My second hand info is that plate or platform is hard to get out (and harder to get back in right). Be sure you are not turning the adjustment screws.

You want to loosen the fastening nuts.

The factory says to try to duplicate the adjustment settings of the new platform using the adjustment settings from the old platform as guides then tighten the adjusting nuts slightly by hand then fit the headlight and check for proper fit in the fender opening. Use the other side for a reference.

If the adjustment is ok then tighten the fastening nuts to 6 ± 1.5 ftlb.

Here's some drawings…

Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
I cannot for the life of my find a thread or How-To on adjusting the entire headlight assembly. My passenger side head light isn't lining up with the fender - how does one adjust the headlight assembly? Please & Thank you
Are you asking about adjusting the headlamp beam or about how the light fits into the tray. If the latter, you may want to remove the headlamp and reinstall paying particular attention to the guide rails and then making sure you get a loud and tactile response when you twist the locking clamp.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:50 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but certainly doable - lots of trial and error. Pop the headlight out, you'll see 3 large flat gold colored nuts (2 in front, 1 in the rear) that adjust the height of the headlight mounting tray. It'll take you a few tries to get it right, but you'll get it (ask me how I know) - don't give up Good luck
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

If it's the light beam that is out of adjustment you might look in the owner's manual too - you'll find a description of the process - not 100% clear but it does have pictures
Old 09-03-2016, 03:46 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

For clarification - I'm trying to adjust the housing itself - not the beam.

Thank you guys! Had a hard time searching for housing adjustment because the only results I got were to adjust the beam
Old 09-03-2016, 04:12 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Yup, these nuts adjust the "mounting plate" that the headlight assembly sits in. Once and you get in there and see it, what I said above will make sense. The Torx socket in the center of the screw is just to hold it - it doesn't have any "adjustment ability" in and of itself. It's actually a pretty crude system - I guess they put so much time into the water cooled motor that they couldn't be bothered with the headlight assembly
Old 09-03-2016, 04:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweet victory
For clarification - I'm trying to adjust the housing itself - not the beam.

Thank you guys! Had a hard time searching for housing adjustment because the only results I got were to adjust the beam
I think you said it wasn't aligned with the fender which makes me believe the headlamp isn't inserted properly. I would think it highly unlikely the housing is out of alignment unless the hold down screws came loose or unless someone bumped into your headlamp pushing it out of alignment. I'd first make sure that the headlamp itself is properly fitted and locked into the tray. Use a flashlight and make sure the guides on the headlamp are inserted into the rails on either side of the housing and then push it into the housing and lock. Check to make sure it's locked into position too. The first time you do the locking the resistance and the noise of the clamp engaging can be disconcerting.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:07 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

I haven't gotten a change to tinker with it yet. I did remove the headlights to restore them, so that's likely why they are off slightly.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:10 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Don't mess with the setting unless you have to. I have an extra one and I can show you the adjusment tabs if you want your headlight to sit perfect but beware, there bolts are usually fragile and stuck and you need the right tools. I have a string of broken torx tips to prove it.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Don't mess with the setting unless you have to. I have an extra one and I can show you the adjusment tabs if you want your headlight to sit perfect but beware, there bolts are usually fragile and stuck and you need the right tools. I have a string of broken torx tips to prove it.
so, if you read my second post you'll see that the torch screws really have nothing to do with adjusting how the light sits... Just focus on the large flat nuts and you'll figure it out.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Headlight Assembly