996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:53 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have the win... On a Porsche theme...."Do you take you watch off when detailing your 911?"

Name:  WheelNetPTime.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  106.8 KB

Originally Posted by b3freak
^^when do you think the pictures were taken? Opps... today...OMG... It's not Tuesday??? My analog Rolex is off!!!! 5CHN3LL is right all along! Why didn't I see it! Wonder what date my Citizen has on it???

bwhahahahahaha
Old 08-25-2016, 03:53 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Holy crap this one thread has covered so many topics!

If my head wasn't attached it would be spinning with all of the subject changes!

We may have scared off the OP just by virtue of this thread. He may go look for a Trans Am now instead.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
We may have scared off the OP just by virtue of this thread. He may go look for a Trans Am now instead.
What OP? hahaha! And, where's you hairy wrist watch?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM
TheMystro
Racer

I'm at least trying to keep a P-car theme.

Originally Posted by b3freak
What OP? hahaha! And, where's you hairy wrist watch?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Whatever you do... don't let 5CHN3LL convenience anyone on this humble thread to google "pink sock". I did and I'm forever cursed ... my mind is poisoned forever.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
The switch to watches has been an upgrade from where the original conversation was at anyways.

I also just ordered my first automatic cronograph today - trying out a Seiko 5 Sport to see how much I enjoy not having ticking noises and batteries.
Those movements are pretty solid and they are good watches. I had one of the first modified Seiko "monsters" back in the day. Custom Sapphire Crystal, Dial, Hands, Lumination redone, custom PVD coating, custom AR coating, Movement custom regulated.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
Yes... Apparently, you missed what was behind the watch and the title of the picture.
Who would have thought a automatic watch would be touchy on a Porsche forum?? You must go nuts at any "Cars and Coffee" or PCA event where automatic watches are also worn around owners wrist with those conservative cars all parked around not gathering any attention. Oddly enough, none of the watch forums have a problem with cars in the background of their wrist shots. And for those that dont know..... a "wrist shot" from a WIS is considered the same as a garage shot on a car forum. Its not considered "bragging". There are plenty of WIS on this forum. WIS ='s watch collector. Its a forum, and many of us collect and have other outside interest that commingle with the Porsche culture.
Wearing a watch and posting a picture of it on your wrist on a forum about cars, in a thread not about watches seems a bit unusual, don't you think?

And I greatly enjoy mechanical watches, post on watchuseek, and own plenty of them. That said, your post seemed to be nothing more than "look you guys, I have a rolex".
Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Wait, we're doing timepieces? Here's mine!

Old 08-25-2016, 04:24 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Wearing a watch and posting a picture of it on your wrist on a forum about cars, in a thread not about watches seems a bit unusual, don't you think?

And I greatly enjoy mechanical watches, post on watchuseek, and own plenty of them. That said, your post seemed to be nothing more than "look you guys, I have a rolex".
Certainly not my intent. The Porsche and watch culture attract the same people with common interest. Thats all the 911/watch pic was about.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Remembering back, there was an earlier post comparing corvettes. Surely he wouldn't have to suffer all these watch snobs if he went that route!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine003
Those movements are pretty solid and they are good watches. I had one of the first modified Seiko "monsters" back in the day. Custom Sapphire Crystal, Dial, Hands, Lumination redone, custom PVD coating, custom AR coating, Movement custom regulated.
Looks like a very nice piece that has definitely gotten some good use! It's really hard to beat the quality at that price point from what I've seen. The other watches I've been looking at cost ten times as much. I'll get there eventually I'm sure, but it also doesn't hurt to have some variety, and the 5 is a neat piece with some history behind it.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 PM
alpine003
Banned

Surely he wouldn't have to suffer all these watch snobs if he went that route!
Watch Snobs = Guys that care of what others think and only get watches based on brands, status, etc.

Watch Enthusiasts = Guys that care about the composition, quality, history, movement, materials regardless of brand or perception.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine003
Watch Snobs = Guys that care of what others think and only get watches based on brands, status, etc.

Watch Enthusiasts = Guys that care about the composition, quality, history, movement, materials regardless of brand or perception.

It's a matter of perspective. Go ask the next corvette driver you see if he thinks there's a difference
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 PM
TheMystro
Racer

There is nothing snobby about a fine automatic watch as there is nothing snobby owning a Porsche 911, nice home, great suit , quality anything, etc....
Porsche owners should know this because the same ignorant stereotype assumptions go along with P-car ownership branded by the general public. It certainly shouldn't have to be explained here.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM
alpine003
Banned

It's a matter of perspective. Go ask the next corvette driver you see if he thinks there's a difference
I'd rather ask him if there's a difference between EdelBrock, Holley, Demon Carbs instead and tell him he's a snob.

Quick Reply: The Dark Side