Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Solution Receives U.S. Patent #2 Issued 8.16.16!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Nothing like some public self- incrimination, and guilt by association!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:41 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats, Jake. Mine is running strong!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:47 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

more expert advise from our lil princess .....got one of these too ?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
more expert advise from our lil princess .....got one of these too ?
My little cyber stalker.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 08-17-2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: No name calling.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 PM
501Max
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Big CONGRATS Jake!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Repaymeent for Jake

If there is a Chinese copy of The Solution, it will be noticed by some of us Rennlisters on EBay/Craigs list/Amazon/Alibaba/other Asian auction sites.I suggest we should just copy Jake on such counterfeits . It is the least we could do to thank somone who has helped so many of us ?
I checked EBay Honk Kong and found :
http://www.ebay.com.hk/sch/i.html?_f...e+ims&_sacat=0
Ironically, the Vertex roller bearing kit is probably more likely to get knocked off because it is generic and the "Thrust Control" added as an afterthought is just a washer ? But it is a Patent Pending washer ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-IMS-...-/311467850306
" Originally Posted by MBMotorsports View Post
Jake, your patent might not be working as well as you'd like. A while ago a company from Hong Kong contacted us offering identical ims solution as yours with slightly changed design. They offered it for $400 each so I can use it in my engines. I told them to send me a sample to see how it will work in my engine so I can test it.

How can something be "identical" and yet changed design?
Than it's no longer identical now is it?

Good luck with that.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 08-17-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Nothing like some public self- incrimination, and guilt by association!
Didn't take him too long to delete his post!!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Copilot
Didn't take him too long to delete his post!!
Not fast enough though... Had plenty of time to collect several screen captures, and email them to the Patent Attorney.

I received a reply from their office before the posts were pulled.

When it's time to dance, I'll make sure to step on the right toes... While wearing combat boots.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The intent of patents is to protect the inventors and innovators that make new products - it incentivizes innovation by providing a set period where they can market and sell their new invention and recoup the immense cost associated with development. Circumventing/bypassing them and purchasing counterfeit products not only cheats the owner, but inhibits further development. I'd imagine most people don't understand just how much time/work/money goes into filing and getting a patent approved, but it is A LOT! That doesn't even take into consideration the incredible amount of time/money/work it would take to develop a product like the IMS Solution, test the hell out of it, and bring it to market.

Buying any counterfeit product manufactured in another country is short-sighted and damaging to the economy - but buying a CRITICAL PART for your engine is absolute stupidity. Additionally, selling them in the U.S. is against the law and nobody should support (or even consider) a shop/business that would do that.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

This process has taken over a decade to receive both Patents. I have two more pending now, one of those should issue in 2018, the other likely in 2019.

Yes, it costs a lot of money. No, that's not the toughest part. It's only money, and we will make more... It's the pain in the *** processes, back and forth office actions, dealing with the Examiners who are fighting tooth and nail not to issue the Patent, and etc. This does cost tens of thousands, and hundreds of hours.

That said, no other Inventor would disrespect another after going through these processes. Only those who have no accomplishments of their own are copycats. It's easier to copy something than to do it from scratch.

The last copycat was really dumb... He made a ported spin on filter adaptor, and tried to sell it on eBay. Google alerts picked it up within 2 hours and we were on top of him. His ad had photos of his "home made" IMS Solution in the background, and he said "email me to buy one". I did a "buy it now" and had my evidence locked in immediately.

Once the attorney put him on notice, the hilarious content began.... A true ignoramous he was...

We do business the proper way. It's not just about the best idea, the best development, and the best product.. It's also about protecting and selling that product in the proper manner.

It's not about advertising a product as "Patent Pending" for 4 years when no provisional patent was even filed. It's not about advertising "Patent Pending" when you have no filing numbers in the ads, or when challenged publicly to produce them. This is illegal from several perspectives.

It's also not about supporting off shore efforts to produce known counterfeit imitations of a well- respected product that has EARNED its place in the industry through performance, and reliability. Any company operating in the USA that knowingly supports, and states that they will work to further the efforts of others abroad who are making counterfeit products should be shamed out of business.

Quite honestly what infuriates me most about a certain individual is his total lack of respect for the USA, and everything we stand for. I'd like to see his citizenship documents. I expect that they are made from vapor ware.

So, all that said... Next time someone complains about the cost of the IMS Solution, well, a chunk of that cost goes to pay for these Patents. If it wasn't for dishonest pukes that lack integrity, we'd not have to Patent the products and each unit would be significantly cheaper.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 AM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a ton of work. Hope you did a TCO on the resources spent.
That aside, I hope recoup the efforts. It sure shows you are serious.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by b8_rdc
Sounds like a ton of work. Hope you did a TCO on the resources spent.
That aside, I hope recoup the efforts. It sure shows you are serious.
The vast majority was documented... But in the earliest of days when the focus was just on making it work, I never focused on anything other than that... I've learned to make something work that you can't even be concerned with what that costs. If you are, then you care about the wrong things at a critical time. Then you fail.

The other day when Sneaky Pete came to visit me I showed him all the IMS Solution prototypes and handed him the only failed component that we experienced during the development. I said "Here's the second attempt, this one cost 4,400.00 to make, and it failed in less than one minute".
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't buy my C2 to re-sell it, and, when circumstances forced me to address the issue, I viewed the Solution as a no-brainer. Congrats, Jake.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

The other day when Sneaky Pete came to visit me I showed him all the IMS Solution prototypes and handed him the only failed component that we experienced during the development. I said "Here's the second attempt, this one cost 4,400.00 to make, and it failed in less than one minute".
I think I'm in small company when I say I had the Solution prototypes in my hands. Good for you Jake on the success!

BTW...I have a few gems of MB's posts...there is one about RL thieves and how he wants his money back.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Congratulations!

My car's heart has your conventional IMS bearing in it so that's one less thing for me to worry about. Glad you're still keeping our cars on the road with your products.

Quick Reply: IMS Solution Receives U.S. Patent #2 Issued 8.16.16!