Old 08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default ANOTHER 996 on BAT...

Damn, we're on a roll...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/200...coupe-6-speed/

Anyone here that cares to admit it?

I think this might be the new trend for sellers that haven't replaced the IMS bearing by leaving it alone and letting future potential owner to do it. This way they know what THEY did and not what someone else did, possibly for unscrupolous reasons.

Either that or future sellers should have at least a few k worth of miles on the new IMS retrofit with no oil change to show there is no metal shedding as the cause of the IMS replacement to begin with. I'm betting this will be the future trend when it comes to selling these things.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm beginning to think modydick is a shill bidder. He has bid on all of the 996s I've looked at on BaT so far, but never seems to be aggressive enough to contend for it...
Old 08-12-2016, 01:37 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Lots of people put in random bids...
Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

I decided to put my C4S on BAT - It goes up on auction after this latest C4S auction ends.

Being away from home limited my ability to really focus on selling my car and besides all 4 people who showed interest were either not serious buyers or had to sell something 1st/didn't have the money
Old 08-12-2016, 01:59 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I decided to put my C4S on BAT - It goes up on auction after this latest C4S auction ends.

Being away from home limited my ability to really focus on selling my car and besides all 4 people who showed interest were either not serious buyers or had to sell something 1st/didn't have the money
You might wanna mention that you've sold 4 previous identical cars with happy customers on BAT. Maybe see if you can use them as reference or something. This could separate out your car(really the seller) from others that have their car on the market currently and possibly drive up the price.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Does that last photo from underneath the car look like the engine area is wet where it meets the tranny? Or is it just the lighting...?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

During my 9 years as a member on RL, I've sold: 2 911sc's, 1 964 2 993's, 2 narrow body 996's, 2 996 C4S's and my 1959 356 sunroof coupe.

8 cars total.

I always perform extreme due diligence when purchasing a Porsche to the point of driving(pardon pun)the seller crazy and almost becoming enemies. You learn from experience to be thorough.
If the seller can't "hang" then you pass on the car. I've scared many a seller away because they couldn't back up said repairs/upgrades/etc and didn't want to deal with me.
And like I've always said, shop for resale - make sure you cover your butt by purchasing a car that's had all necessary services/etc. especially the IMS upgrade.
If car hasn't had the upgrade, factor it into the purchase price or walk away.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaetee
Does that last photo from underneath the car look like the engine area is wet where it meets the tranny? Or is it just the lighting...?
looks wet/damp to me - I like the brown bug snot on the drivers side front bumper
this car will need $5-6K put into it sooner than later(IMS/Clutch/DM flywheel) and sounds like it has larger windshield ding that's been epoxied.
Surprised it needs a clutch so soon - they usually go to 80-90K miles

Funny there's a comment stating the clutch IMS is a $3500 job but they always forget the DM flywheel which is another $1200 and with RMS it's a $5-6K bill with tax.

I love that slate grey and wouldn't be surprised if this car goes to $30-$32K
Old 08-12-2016, 04:45 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

looks wet/damp to me - I like the brown bug snot on the drivers side front bumper
this car will need $5-6K put into it sooner than later(IMS/Clutch/DM flywheel) and sounds like it has larger windshield ding that's been epoxied.
Surprised it needs a clutch so soon - they usually go to 80-90K miles

Funny there's a comment stating the clutch IMS is a $3500 job but they always forget the DM flywheel which is another $1200 and with RMS it's a $5-6K bill with tax.

I love that slate grey and wouldn't be surprised if this car goes to $30-$32K
Why do you mention the DM flywheel as if it is a mandatory swap? Am I missing something? Why can't one just use the flywheel that is in the car already, as long as the clutch still has a little bit of meat on it at time of swap?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good question. Groove has his opinions and the market has its opinions. Not very buyer on Rennlist or BAT 'demands' IMS replacement or reimbursement for the cost.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

$36,400
Old 08-12-2016, 08:35 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Why do you mention the DM flywheel as if it is a mandatory swap? Am I missing something? Why can't one just use the flywheel that is in the car already, as long as the clutch still has a little bit of meat on it at time of swap?
smart educated buyer will demand the IMS cost be factored into sale price...and shops will not turn a dual mass flywheel so replacement is necessary - at least competent shops i'm familiar with

and no, it isn't a requirement to replace the IMS bearing but you'd be a fool to invest $25+K in a 996 without it - just ask some of the 996 owners who chose not to do the replacement resulting in catastrophic failure.

of course this is my opinion
Old 08-13-2016, 01:29 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

smart educated buyer will demand the IMS cost be factored into sale price...and shops will not turn a dual mass flywheel so replacement is necessary - at least competent shops i'm familiar with

and no, it isn't a requirement to replace the IMS bearing but you'd be a fool to invest $25+K in a 996 without it - just ask some of the 996 owners who chose not to do the replacement resulting in catastrophic failure.

of course this is my opinion
Thank you. I agree on all IMS related points. I bought my car and the IMSB was swapped out a week later.

I am specifically trying to understand your flywheel comments. It is my understanding that as long as the flywheel is not scored and still within specs, it is not necessary to replace?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:15 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

as i have understood it for the past 6 years, by the time clutch is necessary the DM flywheel needs to be replaced. I have been told this by many many times by porsche indys and had to replace mine on my 1st c4s because it could not be sent to machine shop
Old 08-13-2016, 02:26 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

It is my understanding that as long as the flywheel is not scored and still within specs, it is not necessary to replace?
This is my understanding as well. I had my flywheel replaced when the clutch kit and the upgrade IMSB were installed, but only because it was slightly scored. It was a recommendation by my indie, not really necessary but I wanted to give my new 996 all the love I could give it. I don't think it is a requirement to replace the flywheel.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER 996 on BAT...