Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Saturday Muffler swap in LA Harbor area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:11 AM
FastM96
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fracture

very same kit as Carnewal, very different price
It is worth having this stuff at hand, especially the bolts. You can source equivalents at a place like Tractor Supply but they won't fit exactly right and you may end up trimming ends. Even if the original nuts come off the threads easily quite often the bolt shoulders are corroded which weakens the bolts. At over ten years old I don't like using them twice, especially if they are corroded.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

It's worth it if your car has corrosion on it and isn't from one of the nicer states and/or if you can't afford any downtime on your car.

If you can, you can always see if the parts come off easy and is reusable.

My car was from GA and everything came off relatively easy. Put some antiseized on all the bolts/nuts and put it back in.

The only muffler bolts that really suffer quite a bit from actual pitting into the bolt itself are the long bolts that go through the muffler bracket holder themselves.

Also important to note, that there are varying levels of metal thickness on some of these brackets between brands. Especially the muffler tip holder brackets.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:18 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah one of the issues I had was that one of the long bolts that holds the muffler to the bracket was just spinning in place and wouldn't come out. It had "welded" itself to the internals of the bracket. My muffler replacement was a complete ****show.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Looks like a few extra parts (bolts and nuts)...but that wouldn't account for the price difference. I've bought from both Rhonda (FVD) and Gert (Carnewal) and have been pleased with both. However I usually buy from FVD since they do have a US presence if there are any customer service concerns.
agree, both provide excellent service, Gert might be a bit quicker

from Carnewal

Left and right pipe clamping sleeves for the incoming tubes and the 2 clamps to secure the exhaust tips to the P96 muffler.
2 long and 2 short bolts with 10 nuts (not shown)
For every normal aspirated P96.
A must for everyone that plans to replace the mufflers on an early or higher mileage N.A. P96.

still a $50 usd difference

you can source the M80 & M130 from Fastenal and the clamps from your local Porsche dealership
about $30 ea
Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Realized I couldn't get even remotely close to getting the car in the garage at our part time house, due to steepness of street/driveway transition. I also didn't want to try and balance the car on jack stands on the tilted, very uneven street, so I took it down to a local muffler shop that has been around for years, and works on all types of very nice cars. They had done a number of Porsches in the past, no problem, job done. My first impressions of the Fister is pretty close to most others; a nice balance. Not too loud, nice Porsche 911 bark when you get on it, can tone it down with a little restraint. I'm very happy. THanks for all the tips from those of you that contributed to my question.

Quick Reply: Saturday Muffler swap in LA Harbor area?