Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this C4S I might buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
??? The C4S has the Turbo upgraded suspension, wheels, tires, brakes and larger front air intakes over the base 996s. The ride is significantly different than a base 996.
is also heavier and as we have seen in the other threads - lose about 20hp, 10trq with the AWD setup.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:28 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But then the awd can be pushed harder in the corners and is more forgiving to drivers errors. I have been down this road before with other performance rwd and awd like 930,S4 stage 3,RS4's to M3s. I have found the awd is always easier and has faster lap times for me. You can push a C4S to scary limits. It's awd is extremely low intrusive and feels like a rwd untill you need it. I would say most won't have the nerve to push it to its very edge of handling. This is coming from a guy that tracked a modded 930 for years and that car was fun and terrifying with only the difference of a 1% drivers error. The biggest down fall I have found with performance awd is the tires you go through.

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
is also heavier and as we have seen in the other threads - lose about 20hp, 10trq with the AWD setup.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

???? The C4S has the Turbo upgraded suspension, wheels, tires, brakes and larger front air intakes over the base 996s.
Yes, and all of that is needed to offset the extra 330+ lbs. (3240lbs vs the '99's 2910lbs based on published curb weights.). According to PCA's SPEC996 racing class, the extra 20 HP of the MK IIs is offset by 180lbs. So the C4S would need to lose 130lbs to have equivalent power performance.

The AWD is another limiting factor for any kind of track duty. Vandersmith has a great thread about how to shave 2 secs off of lap times and improve your driving experience by converting a C4S to RWD.

As for the suspension, for daily driving the '99 C2 suspension is pretty nice but for any type of AutoX or DE, I don't think it's on par with the C4S and is the first thing I would upgrade.

But for looks and comfort, the C4S is definitely the way to go IMO.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Slakker
Race Car

l. I have found the awd is always easier and has faster lap times for me. You can push a C4S to scary limits. I would say most won't have the nerve to push it to its very edge of handling.
Easier and safer. But not near as rewarding nor as quick. And by rewarding, I mean when you make a mistake, the car let's you know instead of correcting it for you. And when you get it right, it's about the same feeling as making fresh tracks on a snowboard in 14" of fresh powder.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:46 PM
TheMystro
Racer

I agree. When you get into full blown track animals, then the sky is the limits to any 911. I was generally referring the cars as stock turn key cars with weekend track duties. I did the semi pro track 911 and I can't/won't afford to do it again. It's a massive money pit even when everything is running well. I went though so many sets of tires in one year. The C4S gives me enough of that track feel in a real world performance car without trying to kill me when conditions are not 100% ideal.

Originally Posted by Slakker
Yes, and all of that is needed to offset the extra 330+ lbs. (3240lbs vs the '99's 2910lbs based on published curb weights.). According to PCA's SPEC996 racing class, the extra 20 HP of the MK IIs is offset by 180lbs. So the C4S would need to lose 130lbs to have equivalent power performance.

The AWD is another limiting factor for any kind of track duty. Vandersmith has a great thread about how to shave 2 secs off of lap times and improve your driving experience by converting a C4S to RWD.

As for the suspension, for daily driving the '99 C2 suspension is pretty nice but for any type of AutoX or DE, I don't think it's on par with the C4S and is the first thing I would upgrade.

But for looks and comfort, the C4S is definitely the way to go IMO.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Slakker
Race Car

I agree. When you get into full blown track animals, then the sky is the limits to any 911. I was generally referring the cars as stock turn key cars with weekend track duties. I did the semi pro track 911 and I can't/won't afford to do it again. It's a massive money pit even when everything is running well. I went though so many sets of tires in one year. The C4S gives me enough of that track feel in a real world performance car without trying to kill me when conditions are not 100% ideal.
!!!!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
The benefits of AWD are not limited to the winter.

Drivetrain loss aside, there have been reviews of the C4S that have shown that while it may be slower than a C2 in a straight line, it is faster around a track. Part of driving fast is braking. Another part is getting the power down to the road. The C4S has the ability to do that better, yes, at the cost of weight. At the end of the day though, we're talking about fractions of a second and preference will largely depend on what the buyer wants. Are they buying it primarily tool around town and maybe (or maybe not) take it on a track or autocross? Will it be a track dedicated car? do they want a garage queen that just looks good? All of those questions (and more) will drive potential buyers in different directions.

-Eric
Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
The benefits of AWD are not limited to the winter.

Drivetrain loss aside, there have been reviews of the C4S that have shown that while it may be slower than a C2 in a straight line, it is faster around a track. Part of driving fast is braking. Another part is getting the power down to the road. The C4S has the ability to do that better, yes, at the cost of weight.

-Eric
I have absolutely seen this to be true from my experience. I am a pretty good driver in a rwd 911 around the track but I acknowledge it takes less skill to do the same thing in a awd 911. Put the same driver in either car I am always slightl faster in a awd car in ideal track conditions. Get anything less than ideal track conditions and the difference between rwd and awd in the 911 separate themself quite a bit more.
Where the Porsche awd shines in the 996 is that it is less intrusive than other manufactures. You can drive it crazy fast without feeling the negative feel of other awd systems like in a performance Audi.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Drivetrain loss aside, there have been reviews of the C4S that have shown that while it may be slower than a C2 in a straight line, it is faster around a track.
Maybe within the same model year, not sure, but I'll put my money on a stock '99 C2 over a stock C4s on the track any day. There is a reason the Gt3 is a rear wheel drive NB (and naturally aspirated).
Old 08-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Anyways, to get back on track, the main point is to test drive both and buy the one you love the most.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

And when you get it right, it's about the same feeling as making fresh tracks on a snowboard in 14" of fresh powder.
Now you're talking my language

Old 08-04-2016, 01:14 PM
TheMystro
Racer

It's all what you want your car to do. That's the beauty of the 911, it's absolutely fantastic in any form. It's like we are comparing which super model is best. There is no bad choice providing it's a 911.

Anyways, to get back on track, the main point is to test drive both and buy the one you love the most.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:44 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Everyone wants a turbo (including me).
FIFY

And Turbos are for egos and drag racers.
Mezger engine.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by kcattorney
FSI engine.
FIFY
Old 08-04-2016, 01:49 PM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

@slakker: "In the 996 world, newer gets you more comfort but doesn't increase performance or driving experience"

Sure about that? 996.2 gets 80% new internals, a longer stroke, and improved variocam+, yielding more torque across greater bandwidth and 15hp. New fuel supply system has no return line yields cooler fuel, new exhaust reduces back pressure, new bodywork reduces lift, new reinforcements to side sills, roof frame, and floor plan improve torsional rigidity by almost 25% in the coupe. New standard 17" wheels save 8# year over year; the optional 18s (standard on C4S, I think) are 23# lighter than their predecessors, despite being an inch wider.

996.2 : Whether the diff matters or not to the individual used 911 buyer, there's definitely more to it than cupholders...

Quick Reply: What do you think of this C4S I might buy?