Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher

Old 09-08-2016, 03:01 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry them in all my cars (trunk, or behind the seat in my f250) and I've had to use them at least 6 times in the last 20yrs that I think of. Never on my own stuff though, thank goodness. It's a 100% safety item, and I'm not sure why anyone would give anyone else grief for carrying one.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:10 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
I carry them in all my cars (trunk, or behind the seat in my f250) and I've had to use them at least 6 times in the last 20yrs that I think of. Never on my own stuff though, thank goodness. It's a 100% safety item, and I'm not sure why anyone would give anyone else grief for carrying one.
Do you carry roadside flare's or emergency triangle too?

I would imagine those would be used more as statistically, you have a better chance of getting a flat tire on the side of a dark road then your car catching on fire. The people that carry fire extinguishers should also be carrying flares and/or emergency triangles along with a first aid kit. What good does it do if you come across a fire and pull the person out but can't treat them if you don't have a first aid kit, then only to be hit by a non-alert driver while you wait on the side of the road away from the burning car?

This can go on and on. Different strokes for different folks is the bottom line here.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard (besides listening to Trump) over an item someone chooses to carry in their car.
But as the saying goes, "opinions are like a**holes...."

Let's start a thread on the risk/benefits of changing from amber to clear turn signals and their efficacy if they are ever illuminated. 😜
Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
....I'm not sure why anyone would give anyone else grief for carrying one.
My take on this thread is in line with what you wrote above. I'm not sure why anyone who very is concerned about a fire event would ask the question...just add an extinguisher and sleep better.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Do you carry roadside flare's or emergency triangle too?

I would imagine those would be used more as statistically, you have a better chance of getting a flat tire on the side of a dark road then your car catching on fire. The people that carry fire extinguishers should also be carrying flares and/or emergency triangles along with a first aid kit. What good does it do if you come across a fire and pull the person out but can't treat them if you don't have a first aid kit, then only to be hit by a non-alert driver while you wait on the side of the road away from the burning car?

This can go on and on. Different strokes for different folks is the bottom line here.

Nope, but I wear my seat belt and I've only been in one crash...
Old 05-13-2017, 01:50 PM
emmet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one small extinguisher on the floor in front of driver's seat.

As for the type, I prefer more pricey halon/halotron extinguisher, which doesn't leave too much mess.
You shouldn't be cheap on safety, but any of these will do the trick: http://carfireexperts.com/car-fire-extinguisher/
Old 05-14-2017, 10:37 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

If you've ever had an engine bay fire you know why you want an extinguisher handy, BTDT. Fuel line cracked and went whoosh on my DD back in the early 80's. Probably should have let it burn and dealt with the insurance company but I was young and dumb. Got it out by smothering it. Started carrying a F/E in every car. Used to carry flares and first-aid kit as well. Don't carry flares but all our cars have F/E, F/A kit, LED flashlight and tire pressure gauge.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:03 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the Rennline unit in my car. I mounted it under the driver's seat, not the passenger, for a variety of reasons:

1) When I take the car to the track, the passenger footwell is valuable cargo space that I use for a large waterproof case with some of my tools/equipment.
2) If I need it, I think it will be easier to get the extinguisher from my own seat, rather than having to reach across the car and get it.
3) This is especially true if there is a passenger in the car, then I have to get them to get the hell out of the way, or help me get the extinguisher out. Could cost valuable seconds.
4) The car is a little more inviting for passengers if they don't have to think about a fire constantly

There is no interference with my legs, and getting in and out of the car is only about 5% more difficult. I barely think about it anymore. I did mount it with the nozzle to the right, since that end is a little bulkier and would be more in the way of ingress/egress.

I'm sure not everybody would like this setup, but for me it makes the most sense.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FIRE EXTINGUISHER BRACKET

I manufacture the ideal extinguisher bracket for Porsche 996, 997, and now 991.

Fits into the rear seat belt buckles, and is easy to install and remove instantly.
No holes, no destructive fasteners required.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 269 Likes on 131 Posts

We have one of the Genuine Porsche units with bracketry in stock, it is a bit spendy but looks nice,

https://rennpart.com/product/fire-ex...-retrofit-kit/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Fire extinguishers are often required for the track and a good idea to have on the street. Here is a little eye candy into how ours are made...

Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchased a unit from Rennline fits amazing in the front of the passenger seat. The engineering of their products is excellent.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Lapin
I manufacture the ideal extinguisher bracket for Porsche 996, 997, and now 991.

Fits into the rear seat belt buckles, and is easy to install and remove instantly.
No holes, no destructive fasteners required.
No offense but that eliminates the use of both back seats for humans, reduces the use of the back seats for cargo, would be harder to get out quickly in an emergency than something mounted in the front seat area, and a lot of people who are tracking their cars have probably removed the rear seatbelts.

Good to have more than one option available out there though!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:35 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

amateurs...

Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
amateurs...

Ugh, you've added significant weight at the worst possible location. This is not a practical modification. This will also significantly effect the aerodynamics of the car and create front end lift. However, if you update your fender liners to GT2 spec, that will compensate and create perfect aero balance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher