Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shaft is being pulled to one side by one of the chains - no drama
Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Ahhh makes sense - also makes me look stupid Appreciate all the help that is being shared here.

I was eager to have a look and honestly didnt even consider it at the time. Heads will be coming off next anyway so will be relieving tension off both main cam chains to do that. Hopefully will get everything stripped tomorrow as I have a good few hours spare so updates on Monday.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Be careful with the head bolts, use a good quality torx socket that fits correctly, they are really tight if you slip and round one off you will be in trouble, I used a long breaker bar , it gives control and power at the same time, it helps if someone can push down on the socket to hold it in firm while you turn the bar, turn slow and steady, it was the way I did mine, some may use impact but I think it's easier to mess up if it's your first time!!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:00 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Right so its not good but there are some small positives. I've removed both heads and as expected one of the cylinders has collapsed in spectacular fashion and the piston is nicely broken. Its number 1 that has gone and my guess is that a crack in the liner lead to a hydro lock but I guess its irrelevant how it happened.

Now that in itself im ok with but the block has cracked as well so its scrap

Now for the positives if there is such a thing. Both heads are fine, the intermediate shaft is fine, (chains were all ok) and it appears the crank is fine but I need to investigate further. I've got pictures but forgot my lead to upload them. Will try and do them tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by stoo.c
Right so its not good but there are some small positives. I've removed both heads and as expected one of the cylinders has collapsed in spectacular fashion and the piston is nicely broken. Its number 1 that has gone and my guess is that a crack in the liner lead to a hydro lock but I guess its irrelevant how it happened.

Now that in itself im ok with but the block has cracked as well so its scrap

Now for the positives if there is such a thing. Both heads are fine, the intermediate shaft is fine, (chains were all ok) and it appears the crank is fine but I need to investigate further. I've got pictures but forgot my lead to upload them. Will try and do them tomorrow.
Since Nickies cylinders don't use the material above the water jacket, the block isn't scrap. All of that is machined away and replaced- no big deal.

This sounds like a classic D chunk failure. A crack starts on one side of a cylinder, and a little later another crack forms at an area usually perpendicular to the first. When this happens the two will work to connect, and when they do finally meet, the whole section breaks away and coolant pressure forces the broken piece into the cylinder bore.

Collateral damages are usually limited to the effected piston, and it's connecting rod. We don't care about that, since we throw all those parts away anyhow.

These things make a cylinder failure one of the best failures that we can expect, and it usually costs no more than an elective build; because, all the effected components are junked anyway.

This one sounds textbook.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

I wish that were the case but when I say the block is cracked - I mean literally the engine casing is cracked - there is about an 8inch crack in it on the bank 1 side of the casing around the power steering pump area right by where the cylinder let go.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

I wish that were the case but when I say the block is cracked - I mean literally the engine casing is cracked - there is about an 8inch crack in it on the bank 1 side of the casing around the power steering pump area right by where the cylinder let go.
That's more extreme and not repairable. If you come my way I'll give you a block for free. I have one with 28k on it that lost an IMS and the block saw no damage.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:04 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Wow - I dont think I've ever been on such a helpful forum. Why have you got to be all the way over in Cleveland That would literally solve all of my problems as it looks like the crank and IMS on mine are fine. Would probably be cheaper to fly to Cleveland than go to Porsche but then again I dont think BA would be too happy if I put an engine casing in my suit case
Old 08-23-2016, 06:52 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Being in England, you may appreciate this. I brought a 1500 Cortina crankshaft back in checked baggage. Crank survived. Suitcase did not.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Wow - I dont think I've ever been on such a helpful forum. Why have you got to be all the way over in Cleveland That would literally solve all of my problems as it looks like the crank and IMS on mine are fine. Would probably be cheaper to fly to Cleveland than go to Porsche but then again I dont think BA would be too happy if I put an engine casing in my suit case
If you do fly here, make sure you come into Atlanta, GA, not Cleveland, OH.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

I had a friends wife who thought she was going to Jamaica with her sister as they got a 'great deal' - turned out it was Kingston Canada
Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a friends wife who thought she was going to Jamaica with her sister as they got a 'great deal' - turned out it was Kingston Canada
Just make sure you keep this handy list if planning a trip in the future:

Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Peru, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
Athens, TN
Memphis, TN
Paris, TN
Cairo, GA (pronounced KAY-row)
Cairo, IL
Sparta, GA
Bethlehem, GA
Berlin, WI
Brussels, WI
Verona, WI
Barneveld, WI
Athens, WI
Sussex, WI
Cambridge, WI

There's quite a bit more but these are some of the more recognizeable ones.

I was in Australia awhile ago and visited Miami there too.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:27 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I just got back in the early hours of this morning from installing my daughter in Miami University ....

In Oxford, Ohio.

Stoo - sorry for your loss
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

I'm trying to source another block as we speak. I'm talking with Autofarm and will speak with Porsche directly tomorrow. The Autofarm 3.9 version is too much for me unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Does "coming my way" means if you have the engine built by Raby?

Quick Reply: Very broken 2002 3.6 996 C4S