Sponsored by:

Blinking temp light when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Blinking temp light when cold?

Well the hits keep coming- when I get home the car burps out a cup of antifreeze - and days
It doesn't- now flashing lights on temp gauge
As I started driving- uggh
Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 PM
DaMann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be feeding you an obvious answer but if it only blinks when cold isn't that because the coolant reservoir has dropped below a certain level? Then when warm the water level raises enough to go above the level that sets off the light?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:32 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a warning to read your manual.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaMann
I may be feeding you an obvious answer but if it only blinks when cold isn't that because the coolant reservoir has dropped below a certain level? Then when warm the water level raises enough to go above the level that sets off the light?
I will look at level when it cools
Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
It's a warning to read your manual.
the burping of fluid is the question- not much but enough - stays in 190/ 200 on gauge/ when ambient temp outside is 90 degrees
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

FYI, you might double check that it is the low coolant "blink". If your engine compartment temp sensor comes loose and rests on the block, it will also cause blinking as I found out my 2nd day of ownership.

Four functions of the coolant warning light:
1. Engine coolant level too low
— light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)
2. Engine compartment temperature too high
— light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)
3. Engine coolant temperature too high
— light is lit; pointer on the right
4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty
— light flashes rapidly (1 Hz); pointer on the right
Note
The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously
(1Hz = 1 flash per second. 0.5Hz = 2 seconds per flash)
So it might be the temperature sensor is faulty (if the light is rapid flashing).
Old 07-20-2016, 02:00 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
FYI, you might double check that it is the low coolant "blink". If your engine compartment temp sensor comes loose and rests on the block, it will also cause blinking as I found out my 2nd day of ownership. Four functions of the coolant warning light: 1. Engine coolant level too low — light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) 2. Engine compartment temperature too high — light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty) 3. Engine coolant temperature too high — light is lit; pointer on the right 4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty — light flashes rapidly (1 Hz); pointer on the right Note The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously (1Hz = 1 flash per second. 0.5Hz = 2 seconds per flash) So it might be the temperature sensor is faulty (if the light is rapid flashing).
I will check thx

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 12-10-2017, 03:32 PM
markkress
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another temp gauge issue :(

Here is my situation... 1999 Porsche 911 C4

I went to the race-track and overheated the car... after that when I started the car when it is cold the temp pointer is pinned to the right and the light blinks slowly, but after a little bit of driving the temp pointer reads temp accurately and light turned off.
After completing the following "fixes" when I start car cold the light blinks and the temp pointer is to the right, but after a little bit of driving the temp pointer reads temp accurately but now the light stays on. If I start the car warm the only thing that happens is the light blinks slowly.

To fix the initial issue I did the following:
Replaced the coolant tank,
Replaced the reservoir CAP with the black one
Replaced the coolant level sensor
Replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
I also tested the e
ngine compartment blower and it works fine.

My only guess is that the wiring on the coolant level sensor is broken. When I replaced the tank I noticed the old one was not mounted in the car and was able to flop around.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by markkress; 12-10-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM
T.Dub
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi folks,

'99 C2: I'm dealing with the issue in this thread, so I'm hoping it's ok to post here a few years later. I have a "slow" blink on the temp gauge upon startup.

Here is what I've done:
  • Replaced coolant tank (but didn't run with the burp valve open- perhaps my next step?).
  • Replaced coolant level sensor.
  • Confirmed engine fan can turn on.
  • Confirmed coolant level is correct.
  • Confirmed temp sensor hasn't broken off and fallen onto engine block.
In operation, the car warms up normally, and the temp gauge doesn't go past the right side of the "0". Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Faulty temp sensor would be my next guess. Are you on level ground and coolant tank is full?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:48 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

It's likely the level sensor or its wire connection. A blinking light means low coolant. A steady light indicates overheating. And yes, burp the system. Even if it's not the cause it should be done to eliminate air pockets.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 PM
T.Dub
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

808Bill, Yes, I'm level and amount is full (cold), and not too high when at temperature. Thanks for responding.

Wyovino, thanks- I think your response "feels" right. I can't see any other reason that the light would be blinking from the first moment I turn the car on.

Quick Reply: Blinking temp light when cold?