996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Good pricing guide for 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cargurus.com has a pretty cool pricing tool. You pick a specific year, and it plots vs mileage.
You have to go to the "car values" tab on the website. The only cars it doesnt track well are really low production or ones that are a very special trim line, like our 2006 Volvo V70R. There were only about 600 in the US from that year, and it didnt differentiate on the R package
Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM
tlippold
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Looks pretty nice but it's tough to tell much from the website. Got any pics?

Here are some pics. GT2 style front... rear not specified. Looks nice but hard to tell quality via pics!

Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks pretty good. Since it's not factory aero it will be more personal preference on resale so I'd only add $1000-1500 to your valuation over a non-aero car.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:00 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

In what regard, the AOS? I was surprised to see someone advocating changing it just because it's never been changed. It's easy enough to note if it appears to be working correctly (leaks, pressure at the cap). Why pay for a $1000 repair (or what is widely acknowledged as one of the more difficult DIY's on these) if there are zero symptoms of failure? Even if and when it does go it does not mean that the engine will self-destruct.
Ask Vtusler here on RL what happened when his AOS failed. Self destruct has a new definition in his case!

Also, the AOS makes many impacts on the engine as it is failing. The AOS sets the crankcase pressure within the engine. When it starts to fail the crankcase pressure is elevated for a long while before any symptoms exist. What does this do? It elevates fuel trim and silently makes the engine run rich. A rich running engine can easily experience failed cylinders due to excess fuel washing the oil from the cylinders.

If this happens you won't receive any CEL or symptom until it has reached out of the range of long term fuel trim.

That said, preventive service of the AOS is a wise decision. The only people who wait for things that are failure prone, to fail, are those who don;t understand the full effects of what the failure can bring.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:01 PM
dbuckius
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello:

I stick to my budget and willing to drive 500 miles to pick one up...after 3 months of searching and reading up on the histories of the 996, Carguru, Autotrader, Car.com, ebay, Craigslist, Carfax, KBB, I was able to find one locally.

01, Carrera with hard top, tip, 68Kmiles, 2nd owner, asking $19.5K. I subtracted the $2.5K for the IMS/RMS that need to be replaced, and offered at $17K.

after two weeks of discussion, we agreed on $17K

have the IMS/RMS replaced (4 year warranty at $2.4K, the IMS shaft started to wobble, dodged a bullet here!!!)...

good luck

duc
Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Ask Vtusler here on RL what happened when his AOS failed. Self destruct has a new definition in his case!

Also, the AOS makes many impacts on the engine as it is failing. The AOS sets the crankcase pressure within the engine. When it starts to fail the crankcase pressure is elevated for a long while before any symptoms exist. What does this do? It elevates fuel trim and silently makes the engine run rich. A rich running engine can easily experience failed cylinders due to excess fuel washing the oil from the cylinders.

If this happens you won't receive any CEL or symptom until it has reached out of the range of long term fuel trim.

That said, preventive service of the AOS is a wise decision. The only people who wait for things that are failure prone, to fail, are those who don;t understand the full effects of what the failure can bring.
Interesting info, thank you, I suppose I was mistaken in my original post. It's happened once before. :-)

So is it a good idea and well worth it from a cost/chance of failure ratio to change it by itself every 3 years or is one realistically better off getting it tested first every 3 years (presumably less expensive) and going from there and only replacing a tested good one IF one is in there already for something else (clutch, RMS, IMS etc)? Obviously replace it if it tests bad no matter what. If (since) these can fail within 1000 miles of install one should be able to come up with a reasonable protocol that would cover most realistic scenarios. Or does the failure rate curve appear to swing drastically upward around 3 yrs of age and that's why it's the recommendation?
Old 12-08-2019, 12:39 PM
ERC4S
4th Gear

Hey all, hoping to get a price check on a 996.2. Its a 2002 C4S with ~35k miles. The car is in essentially showroom condition and sold by a Porsche specialty dealer. Silver with black interior. It just had an $11k service with RMS, IMS, new clutch, new tires, new AC compressor, ceramic coating, oil change, etc. No accident history and car looks and runs perfectly. Firm asking price $37k. I realize its at the high end, but based on the recent service I feel like it's pretty close to the market right now, but wanted to hear some input.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2019, 05:15 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

So just a super sloppy analysis,, "If I was buying" sorta.. Who did the work matters..
Silver with black interior. - Net $0 value common.
does the car have complete records, 0 records take 5 to 7 k off the price.
It just had an $11k service with (11 K is a lot of service.. I DIY most of this list.. so.... )
RMS, - Maintenance item and there is little accuracy on how long they last - worth 200 bucks to me tops.
IMS, - Maintenance item, but,, you need all the info about the swap, not just "its been done" value is 0 - 3500
new clutch - ~80K service item,, about 2K.
new tires - Look up the tires on tire rack that's what they are worth new. ~1200 depending on the tire chose (Assuming recent date codes)
new AC compressor - another Maintenance item, I'd toss a value of 800 bucks at it.
ceramic coating - Who did it, ceramic coatings are another item that can be good or real good or real bad. Unless I have the applicators info and the warranty.. 0 value to me. if it looked really really well done,, maybe a couple hundred bucks.
oil change - basic maintenance records are worth more than anything,, 1 oil change is not that.. 0 value.
Add a PPI.. And for the PPI for a car at the top end of the range I expect the dealer to eat the cost of the ppi before the sale at my shop if it fails..

So to me that 11K service in a buyer review has a rough value of about 4000 tops on the price of the car,,
I'm still going to drive it to my shop and do a 100% fluid change on the gear boxes, have the coolant
sent out for testing, assuming a few minor "while your there" things, like magnetic drain plugs, new
coolant and oil cap, possible AOS, starter, alternator...
Old 12-08-2019, 05:46 PM
ERC4S
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
So just a super sloppy analysis,, "If I was buying" sorta.. Who did the work matters..
Silver with black interior. - Net $0 value common.
does the car have complete records, 0 records take 5 to 7 k off the price.
It just had an $11k service with (11 K is a lot of service.. I DIY most of this list.. so.... )
RMS, - Maintenance item and there is little accuracy on how long they last - worth 200 bucks to me tops.
IMS, - Maintenance item, but,, you need all the info about the swap, not just "its been done" value is 0 - 3500
new clutch - ~80K service item,, about 2K.
new tires - Look up the tires on tire rack that's what they are worth new. ~1200 depending on the tire chose (Assuming recent date codes)
new AC compressor - another Maintenance item, I'd toss a value of 800 bucks at it.
ceramic coating - Who did it, ceramic coatings are another item that can be good or real good or real bad. Unless I have the applicators info and the warranty.. 0 value to me. if it looked really really well done,, maybe a couple hundred bucks.
oil change - basic maintenance records are worth more than anything,, 1 oil change is not that.. 0 value.

So to me that 11K service in a buyer review has a value of about 4000 tops on the price of the car,,
I'm still going to drive it to my shop and do a 100% fluid change on the gear boxes, have the coolant sent out for testing, assuming a feww minor "while your there" things, like magnetic drain plugs, new coolant and oil cap, possible AOS and the PPI.. And for the PPI for a car at the top end of the range I expect the dealer to eat the cost at my shop if it fails..
Thank you for the thoughts. The shop is a high end independent porsche shop/dealer and all the work and ceramic coating was done by them and looks excellent. The IMS bearing is an LN engineering and was done as preventative maintenance. The tires are 1300 on tirerack. The oil change comment was more to say that the major service was done as well. I dont have concerns about the car or quality of work. My biggest question/concern is trying to figure out the value of these cars. Recent auctions on BaT show recent auctions around ~30-33 for similar cars, but often they have not had the needed maintenance (RMS/IMS etc), which would need to be factored in, right?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 654 Likes on 409 Posts

It is just my personal opinion but I think that is a very high price for a 996, even a good 996. Mid 3xK$ is in the 997 territory with its well known benefits.
The following users liked this post:
ERC4S (12-09-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:19 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ERC4S
Hey all, hoping to get a price check on a 996.2. Its a 2002 C4S with ~35k miles. The car is in essentially showroom condition and sold by a Porsche specialty dealer. Silver with black interior. It just had an $11k service with RMS, IMS, new clutch, new tires, new AC compressor, ceramic coating, oil change, etc. No accident history and car looks and runs perfectly. Firm asking price $37k. I realize its at the high end, but based on the recent service I feel like it's pretty close to the market right now, but wanted to hear some input.
Thanks!
At that price, you're getting dangerously close to 996 Turbo prices with mileage differences between them not big enough to make a difference IMO.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-52/
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AB29994S685220
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-46/

If it truly is a gem of a car, $37k might be fair, and I'm sure you would love it, but I wouldn't consider it a "deal".
Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

is the 02 4s a coupe or a cab? MT or tiptronic?
Old 12-10-2019, 05:00 PM
ERC4S
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bpoteat
At that price, you're getting dangerously close to 996 Turbo prices with mileage differences between them not big enough to make a difference IMO.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-52/
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AB29994S685220
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-46/

If it truly is a gem of a car, $37k might be fair, and I'm sure you would love it, but I wouldn't consider it a "deal".
Thank you, that’s exactly what I’m thinking too. Very close to a turbo or a 997.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 PM
ERC4S
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Optionman1
is the 02 4s a coupe or a cab? MT or tiptronic?
Manual coupe.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spent $22k on my 2002 C4S. Replaced engine due to serious piston slap. Replaced about $4k in parts as related maintenance, clutch, flywheel turning, fuel injectors, AOS various hoses and new cats and mufflers. Paid a local shop the labor to drop engine and install long block and everything else. I figure as a roller my car was worth $5-$8k. Not selling my car, but would never sell it for less than high 20s if I had to sell it. Luckily I just want to drive it for another 5-8 years.

Quick Reply: Good pricing guide for 996