996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Considering 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,011 Posts

He doesn't look happy about it either Slakker!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

Lol, that sucker acts more like a dog than my dog does. Always following you around to see what you are doing. He'd had a long day and was pretty pooped in that picture.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

The 3.4 is a bit more reliable than the 3.6 in my opinion , the ims is double row and the cylinder walls are slightly thicker so not as much bore scoring so I've heard anyway !!
When I rebuilt my engine the double row ims I pulled out was perfect , in fact most things were, the main things I found were worn vario chain pads in the heads , exhaust valve guides were shot and the valves needed a good clean , heads needed de coking and re grind on valve seats and that was it, at 100k, not bad I think!!
Overall I would say that depending on your budget things will need to be done eventually if not out of necessity to keep the car running at optimum performance , as things get worn and coked up performance drops the longer things are made to go on.
I really believe that it is possible to work on these cars without being a PhD in mech engineering , if your careful and make sure you have the right tools for the job and take your time , as long as you don't mind your car being laid up for a while you car do these jobs yourself , over a winter, drop the engine and box, split them , new ims/ Rms , clutch , water pump, get the valve covers off, do the vario pads, maybe get the heads off and refurb the heads too!! all good fun if you like getting your hands dirty and there's plenty of info around now, hell Jake even runs a class to tell you how to do it !!

Quick Reply: Considering 996