Sponsored by:

996 LED running lights, YES or NO

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:13 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Thank you all for the feedback.

One side of me thinks it will look like a KIA going down the road. Also, not period correct.

The other side, is putting on another Techart modification, they are very expensive, hence the hesitation.

They come with complete wiring harness to factory 996 headlight switch.

I have a chance to buy a set from Europe that have never been installed. Techart price when they were still available was $1200.00

These are available for half that, still a lot for LED lights IMO.

New GT3 splitter just arrived this week, I am going to wait and see how it looks with that, I am considering on not painting the splitter and installing it black
Old 05-08-2016, 02:46 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the link to the easy LED DRL installation: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-working.html. I did mine using a $20 ebay set of water-proof LEDs and wiring a fused relay connected to the windshield washer nozzle heater (switches on with ignition). Works like a charm. (Thanks Hurdigurdiman!)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by GelberPfeil
Here is the link to the easy LED DRL installation: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-working.html. I did mine using a $20 ebay set of water-proof LEDs and wiring a fused relay connected to the windshield washer nozzle heater (switches on with ignition). Works like a charm. (Thanks Hurdigurdiman!)

That sure is a lot less $$$$
Old 05-09-2016, 12:58 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the lines of the early and late 996s as they are, guess I personally just never really understood the why?

There's daytime running lights in the headlights already. Might just be me but I also am a big believer in to each their own. Enjoy your car and do whatever makes ya happy!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Kuwaiti
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just Do it.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Smart move not painting the splitter. The factory splitter will hold-up well with the bumps and scrapes unpainted. If you paint it you may end up with a lot chips and scrapes. I would highly recommend that you also purchase a bag of the plastic rivets and a stubby phillips head to keep on hand. The splitter is designed to let the rivets pop out / break to save the splitter. Easy enough to fix on the fly. I have had mine around 4 years and inadvertently ripped off the car 3 times and it still looks great.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Do it. They look good in the top inlet rather than under the bar as shown in your sample pic. Looks like everyone else has installed them in that top inlet. I would not spend $600 to do them, let alone $1,200.

If you haven't switched to the LED taillights, you might want to consider them. I think you could get both the DRL and the taillights for $600 - I haven't checked the narrow body LED taillight prices for the DEPO or Dectane, but I know the widebody LED taillights I bought, along with a discount promo code, were about $850.

There are a lot of traditionalists that said not to go to the LED taiilights when I was trying to figure out what to do with mine. My car came with blacked out taillights and sidemarkers from the PO, and I just didn't like them. Rather than go back to stock, I switched to LED's for both the sidemarkers and taillights. Even though I wasn't quite sure when I placed the order, once I got them installed I love the look. I cannot imagine going back to stock taillights. You can do the same thing with the DRL's - try them and then just remove them if you don't like them, especially if you've got $50 or $100 invested. No big deal to go back.

But, if you're like me, you'll like the little bit of bling they bring to your car. Not that there's anything wrong with stock, but I like to use the Modern Family analogy - which do you prefer: Claire Dunphy or Gloria Pritchett?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't love them or hate them. I'm actually not even sure if I like them better in the top inlet or in the larger opening below. They look better integrated into the top inlet but it also kind of gives the front end a...catfish(?) kind of look. I'm kind of 'meh' on them.

I actually think a more traditional, round light...maybe the one off of the Cayman would look better.

Something about the string of LEDs just doesn't complement the 996' front end to my eyes, at least. Then again, while I don't normally consider myself a traditionalist, maybe I am when it comes to the 911 so take my comment for what it's worth. At the end of the day, it's your car so do whatever makes you happy!

-Eric

Quick Reply: 996 LED running lights, YES or NO