Sponsored by:

996 engine oil cooler leak.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 AM
studio112
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb 996 engine oil cooler leak.

Hi; I have been looking forever for some info (pics are best), on how to remove the parts to allow access to this engine oil cooler. I have the "Bentley", which is quite thorough and clear, but pic's, or a video would be very useful. Also, maybe someone who has done this have amassed a few tricks, ie; do's or don't do's.
It doesn't seem too difficult, just time consuming like most repairs on these cars:
I believe it is just dried out O-ring type seals (4) from winter storage; in any case I am changing the cooler as well as it isn't that expensive once I'm in there.
Anything else worth checking in the same area?
Thanks for your interest.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

With the cooler being located up in the top right corner, I'm thinking you will have to remove the throttle body, plenum, AC compressor, and power steering resoviour (sp?) and bank 2 intake plus lower the motor as much as possible to gain access. Make sure to not stretch the coolant hoses to much. It actually may be easier to just drop the motor....that way the TB, plenum and intake stay as is.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Might as well do the AOS if you have to take off the plenums. Lowering the motor 3 inches and loosening an intake manifold (driver's if you do do the AOS) will help with the plenums. They were the toughest part for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM
studio112
Intermediate

Thanks for that input. I am going to try it without dropping the engine; I'm not really equipped for that adventure. I realize all the components that need to be drained, then removed or placed aside. Getting the new gaskets and clamps etc. is always stressful, making sure you have a list of every part needed before beginning. Living in the "Boonies" requires ordering from Pelican Parts long in advance ,or ordering from Porsche Dealership which doesn't stock anything and has to order them in as well. I would add that Jason and Tony at "Prestige Porsche", in Montreal are extremely helpful and accommodating.
Cheers all!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 AM
studio112
Intermediate

AOS has been done a year ago.
PS. I'm sure the cooler will prove to be fine and that the O'rings are the culprit, but I am changing o'rings and cooler for piece of mind.
These cars do seem to be prone to leaks.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:19 PM
studio112
Intermediate

My car has been in the garage for a week. After installing a new OEM (Behr) cooler from Pelican, it leaked between the cooler and the block; got new O-rings again and they took it out , cleaned block again, and re-installed. Still leaks but less. Pelican Parts is sending me a replacement with more O-rings. (they say they have never had a problem with this OEM part). That said, are we missing something with the installation? Could it be a warped cooler or the O-rings. I'm thinking I'll give it one more shot with this garage, then move on. The joke is, the original cooler wasn't leaking, and they pulled it anyway. The leak was coming from the power steering pump. Grrrrr !
Old 07-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by studio112
My car has been in the garage for a week. After installing a new OEM (Behr) cooler from Pelican, it leaked between the cooler and the block; got new O-rings again and they took it out , cleaned block again, and re-installed. Still leaks but less. Pelican Parts is sending me a replacement with more O-rings. (they say they have never had a problem with this OEM part). That said, are we missing something with the installation? Could it be a warped cooler or the O-rings. I'm thinking I'll give it one more shot with this garage, then move on. The joke is, the original cooler wasn't leaking, and they pulled it anyway. The leak was coming from the power steering pump. Grrrrr !
Do you have the proper O rings?

We see bad OEM and even genuine heat exchangers routinely.. We pressure test every new unit because of this, before installation.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:19 PM
studio112
Intermediate

Yes always Porsche supplied O-rings; my garage doesn't have equipment to pressure test. Maybe I should find a shop that can.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 AM
studio112
Intermediate

Just to add closure; it was the O.E.M. coolers (2) that I bought from Pelican Parts that were the problem. The bottom of the cooler was warped so new oil rings didn't seat properly; and the replacement proved to be the same, warped bottom. I had all three pressure tested and that was fine. I ended up installing the original with new o-rings, end of cooler leak. This was all done with the motor in the car, no need to drop it in my opinion, but it is tedious to reach the cooler.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

'it was the O.E.M. coolers (2) that I bought from Pelican Parts that were the problem. The bottom of the cooler was warped '
Wow ! Can't blame Pelican but this is an amazingly bad situation for 2 O.E.M. parts that could have caused engine failure. Warped base would be easy to catch in Q.C. at the Supplier. I wonder if they are importing these parts from off-shore and just adding stickers and boxes in Germany ?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

This isn't a new problem. I've been seeing it for 5 years. It has been reported to the Mfr many, many times.

I made a jig to test these units before we install them, most are twisted, and will not seat flat.

Only people that actually build things will know this, not a reseller of parts.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM
cajunq92
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible you could give me the steps you used to get to the cooler? I have a small leak from the rear of mine and don't want to drop the engine. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2021, 03:15 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunq92
Is it possible you could give me the steps you used to get to the cooler? I have a small leak from the rear of mine and don't want to drop the engine. Thanks!

Remove airbox, tb, both plenumns and the passenger side intake. This will give u clear access unless u have a 3.4l with the fuel lines going to the ac compressor. Then u would have to unbolt the ac compressor and shift it foward.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:33 PM
cajunq92
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I have a 3.6 motor. I think since I'm already there, I'll change the AOS, since it will be exposed, and water pump and thermostat since I'm draining coolant. Any other items you recommend changing since I've got things exposed?
Old 03-02-2021, 06:21 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunq92
Thank you. I have a 3.6 motor. I think since I'm already there, I'll change the AOS, since it will be exposed, and water pump and thermostat since I'm draining coolant. Any other items you recommend changing since I've got things exposed?
I changed out my o-rings in January while I had the transmission out doing the clutch and IMSB. Like you I had a very small coolant leak, like a dribble that dried before ever making it to the ground. My '00 was barely driven for 10 years before me so the coolant side o-rings appeared deformed. I also tested the cooler with about 5 psi of compressed air in a pan of water before reinstalling. You only need to drain a gallon of coolant to drop the level below where it attaches to the top of the block.

Quick Reply: 996 engine oil cooler leak.