Sponsored by:

Honing and Re-coating Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Oil consumption-
Until you measure for ovality and taper, isn't the idea of just slapping it back together a little suspect ? If you do reassemble, be sure to place all the rings back exactly where they were on each piston & bore. If you muddle them up , or use new rings & have bore/taper, you certainly will have an oil consumption+compression issue.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:03 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes everything would be fully inspected before it went back together even if I left the score.

The question really isn't what would need to be done if I was to leave it, I'd cross that bridge when I've reviewed all the options. It's more the viability of replating the cylinders of these motors assuming they check out as a good candidate for the process.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 AM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you decided to proceed with replate? Would the bores be Nikasil, same as gt3 or turbo?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:57 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Usually not an option, due to cylinder taper, and ovality being well outside the safe zone. The wear surface is just one consideration of a cylinder.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM
C4rrera
Track Day

The plating is very similar to Nikasil, called Nicom. The supplier claims it is compatible with all rings designed for use with Alusil or Nikasil.

I am currently in the process of discussing how they would go about evaluating the cylinders as good candidates for the process (roundness, taper), expected life cycle, warranty, and any available referrals for other watercooled porsches.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

U.S. Chrome.... They have good sales people.

Been there. Done that.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM
C4rrera
Track Day

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
U.S. Chrome.... They have good sales people.

Been there. Done that.
So Jake,

That was the point of this post. What was your experience?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C4rrera
So Jake,

That was the point of this post. What was your experience?
Please email me at jake@jakeraby.com
Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Hartech in the uk are the best guys at honing cylinders, they fit a strengthening ring on the top of the cylinder which actually pulls it back into round then re hone the cylinder, if the scoring is minimal it may be able to be honed out, this is a lot cheaper than sleeving which they also do if it's too bad, I think they charge something like £80 per bore for the process, this protects again a D chunking also and there are also some mods done to the coolant galleries, this might be viable for you to ship them over , you can re use your stock Pistons, I did this to mine, it also means you can fit new rings and they will bed in ok not trying to run in an oval bore , I can't find much about the process on their website to give you a link but if you call them and speak to grant he will sort you out he's very knowledgable !!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 PM
C4rrera
Track Day

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Hartech in the uk are the best guys at honing cylinders, they fit a strengthening ring on the top of the cylinder which actually pulls it back into round then re hone the cylinder, if the scoring is minimal it may be able to be honed out, this is a lot cheaper than sleeving which they also do if it's too bad, I think they charge something like £80 per bore for the process, this protects again a D chunking also and there are also some mods done to the coolant galleries, this might be viable for you to ship them over , you can re use your stock Pistons, I did this to mine, it also means you can fit new rings and they will bed in ok not trying to run in an oval bore , I can't find much about the process on their website to give you a link but if you call them and speak to grant he will sort you out he's very knowledgable !!
Thanks! I've also been looking into Hartech, I've seen some good reviews around here and other forums.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
you can re use your stock Pistons, I did this to mine, it also means you can fit new rings and they will bed in ok not trying to run in an oval bore
So how long or how many miles have you put on since you had this done? Do they offer any kind of warranty on their process? Sounds like another viable alternative.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes it's another option if you are doing a rebuild and your bores are OK as in no scoring and you maybe have just a bit of ovality and taper as they all will.
It's a cheaper way to at least do something with them and get just as good results, then be able to fit new rings and strengthen against d chunking.
They are good guys there and will always help!!
I would imagine they will stand by their work but if it's part of your own build there's only so far they would go I would expect, they do offer full builds also with warranty and various upgrades are available similar to what jake offers.
I just found the re rounding process really helpful with my budget as sleeves can really give you a kick in the er wallet!!
They get the bores back within an except able tolerance , the special honing tool is just made for these type of bores which also re finishes the bore to a factory finish and the ring removes the chance of d chunking so if your bore isn't damaged, light scoring can be worked with but obviously if it's knocking like hell your going to need a sleeve, they do a really heed sleeve also which is like the ones in the metzger engine , nikasil plated aluminium, they are very nice but obviously a lot more money!!

Quick Reply: Honing and Re-coating Cylinders