Windshield install notes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Windshield install notes?

I need to have my front windshield replaced on my 99 coupe ordered the factory glass 7-10 days from Germany question I plan to watch install any items unique to the 996 I need to watch for? Installer recommended by my local repair shop so know he has done Porsche glass before but want to "help" installer if I can.
Thanks
Rich
Old 04-29-2016, 07:22 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

I have to replace mine too. IIRC, there are two seals they recommend changing while they are in there as well.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

washing up liquid along edge of glass.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 AM
tokika
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safelite just did mine after the repair they did last fall started to crack. Took them and the dealer a couple attempts to get both the inner and correct outer seal, but it is in, doesn't leak and looks great.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:19 AM
PNW_Boxer993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search "Porsche Technical Service Bulletin 6420". Highly recommend both gaskets, as I had been fighting the window creaking coming from the front windshield - and installing both gaskets will resolve.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

Passed on the national vendors instead used a local glass company whose installer has been doing Porsches for 30 years what a great decision watched the entire install besides really cool install tools like the wire crank to cut out old windshield without damage to the powered sealant gun the effort was very knowledgeable and professional. Looks great no air or water leaks. New OEM glass and all gaskets. If in Tampa FL area I certainly recommend Eric at Mike's Auto Glass in Tampa.
Rich
Old 05-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I need to have my front windshield replaced on my 99 coupe ordered the factory glass 7-10 days from Germany question I plan to watch install any items unique to the 996 I need to watch for? Installer recommended by my local repair shop so know he has done Porsche glass before but want to "help" installer if I can.
Thanks
Rich
If the installer is really experienced intalling Porsche glass and of course experienced in a good way and does a good job, you won't help, you'll just get the way.

If he is doesn't know what he's doing you won't help. You'll just give him somebody to blame for his screw up.

About all I did when the glass was replaced in my Boxster was to with the installer check the new glass to make sure it was the same as the old. Same tint, same tint depth, had the radio antenna wires in the glass with the connector leads in the same place, even had the rear view mirror attachment point in the same location as the old glass.

New seals should be used.

Other than checking the glass I kept my distance -- the work was done in the parking lot at my office -- just occasionally looking outside to note the progress.

The installed placed a strip of blue tape across the top of the glass where it fit into the frame. I don't remember why now. I was to leave this 24 hours I htink. Also, he advised me when driving the car home and for the next 24 hours to avoid subjecting the car to any body flexing. I take railroad crossings easy anyhow and the same goes for driveways, but I took them on the way home like I had nitro in the car. Easy easy easy.

I think he also advised me to avoid washing the car a time after the install.

Anyhow, I followed his instructions and glass has been just fine.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Passed on the national vendors instead used a local glass company whose installer has been doing Porsches for 30 years what a great decision watched the entire install besides really cool install tools like the wire crank to cut out old windshield without damage to the powered sealant gun the effort was very knowledgeable and professional. Looks great no air or water leaks. New OEM glass and all gaskets. If in Tampa FL area I certainly recommend Eric at Mike's Auto Glass in Tampa.
Rich

I also used Mikes Auto Glass to replace a windshield on a 997 turbo, they did a great job.....+1

Quick Reply: Windshield install notes?