996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

M235xi + 01' C4 Cab or a 2014 991?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 PM
jbirdie6
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 43 Posts
Default M235xi + 01' C4 Cab or a 2014 991?

I posted this over in the 991 forum, but figured I'd put it in the 996 to get some more perspective...

As the title states, I'm weighing out whether I'd rather keep my current 2 car setup vs going to one. The cars I currently enjoy are a 2016 BMW M235xi auto (bought new in September) and a 2001 C4 Cabriolet 6spd. I am eyeing a CPO '14 991. Looks like most of the CPO '14 991s are around $70k with very low miles and fully optioned (want a manual).

I'm figuring after trading in the M235xi (would be under water by $5-10k, but didn't put anything down when I purchased) and selling the 996 (own that outright) that I'd probably end up with approximately the same monthly payment for the 991 that I carry today for both cars.

I do live in Cleveland, so winter weather is a factor. However, I travel primarily for work (on planes that is) and when I'm not traveling I work from my home. So I don't really drive much, and can avoid it for the most part if need be (plus the wife has a GTI). Is anyone on the forum "crazy" enough to drive their 991 in winter weather if need be, or are all these garage queens?

As I mentioned I don't get to enjoy driving as much as I would like, so having two cars does put me at a conflict from time to time. Part of my rationale is that I might enjoy having one "dream" car instead of the 2 I have now.

Anyone here face a similar decision (going from 2 really cool cars to a 991)? Did you do it? Any regrets? If not, why?

Anyway, I know this is a pretty loaded question and I'm the only one that can really answer it. But figured it was an interesting proposition and would like to hear what the people in the 996 world think!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well your last point sums it up

Since you are under water on the BMW, I wouldn't do it if it were me.

Given your driving situation I also wouldn't make the trade unless there was something the 991 could provide on those rare cases when I did drive it. Personally the 991 isn't a big enough step ahead (and is actually backwards in some ways) from the BMW and 996 combination for normal driving.

As far as DDing a 991 in the winter, why not? Get winters for it and watch the incredulous looks fly
Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

You only live once and you will finally get your man card by trading in a "awd" BMW with an autotragic and your "awd" c4 that's a cabriolet. Two birds with one stone. If finances are tight or once you put logic into it, don't do it.

Fwiw, I told my self that I would consolidate and sell off the 2002tii, e30m3, 996, Aprilia if I thought a real nice car came along. That hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

What's not man card compatible about BMW and Porsche's AWD systems? Both are good performance and make a big difference in something like AutoX.

No a cab? Or a auto (unless it is their DCT)?

Those I might agree with
Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

You haven't stated what you want to accomplish. Do you want the 991 because it looks cooler, makes you feel better, or is more comfortable? If so, then I think when the new wears off in 4 or 5 months and you are now 20k upside down after rolling in the BMW that you won't quite feel as good about it.

And driving a $70k sports car on salted roads is not going to do you or the next owner any favors. Sure they can take it but it's going to start rusting up a whole lot quicker.

The main thing you get with the newer models is increased performance and increased comfort. It doesn't sound like you are tracking it so the performance is irrelevant. And I can tell you the more comfortable a car is, the less you feel it. And I want to feel my Porsche when I drive it.

If you want to go down to a single car then sell the BMW. If you can't because you can't afford to pay the gap between loan and value, then sounds like you've already made one really poor financial decision and are looking to double down on it.

I make a lot of presumptions here and I if I'm off base then just ignore it and go on. But I'll tell you what my wife tells me when I'm about to make a stupid financial decision, your rationalization sounds perfectly reasonable, they all do. Now ignore it all and go with your "gut."
Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep what you've got. I've got an '02 BMW X5 4.6is as a daily and '01 996TT as my special car. BMW is spacious, handles well, room for the kids and their gear and has everything possible including Nav, Bluetooth (retrofit was simple) and backup camera along with a fierce NA large displacement V8 the likes of which we'll probably never see again. The 996TT has no gadgets, but it does have a tape player and cassette holder. Fierce takes on a new definition with this car.

Once you get over the new car lust, which should be covered by your M235xi, you'll realize you already have the best of both worlds. Extra bonus, if you need cash at some point you can always sell one and still have a car to drive.

Having ridden in a friends 991.1 a few times, you're not missing anything. Your 996 is a purer sports car - lighter, less electronic ninnies, excellent handling - than the oafish 991. Heck, the 991 is similar to your M235 that way so not sure you're accomplishing much other than swapping badges (and likely losing money up front and through higher depreciation in the process).

Ultimately your call, but since you asked I'd run what you brung and be happy.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,039 Posts

1. Sell your BMW
2. Get out of all consumer debt - DON'T drink the "I need it for my credit score" Kool Aid
3. Buy an efficient, reliable daily driving you can pay with cash
4. Enjoy the Porsche Cabriolet for weekend drives, dates, family trips, etc.
5. Save up an emergency fund for Porsche repair and maintenance
6. Breathe easy knowing you're debt free while most in American are buried in financial stress.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by b3freak
2. Get out of all consumer debt - DON'T drink the "I need it for my credit score" Kool Aid
Hah! Just did a free check on mine through my bank. Am at 860 out of 900 and of their advice to "improve" my score was to open more store CCs and take out another car loan
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Anything over about 720 is just for showing off.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:55 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slakker
Anything over about 720 is just for showing off.
He says while talking to the guy with a gold IMSB...

Old 04-28-2016, 11:03 AM
mannn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cab is a totally different driving experience be it 911 or not... so your new 991 will not give that to you... i have always missed my convertible on those warm breezy nights with the top down. Keep what you have, you have a good combo here where if you need a bit more cargo space you have it.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
He says while talking to the guy with a gold IMSB...

LOL

But seriously with a score of 860, you must get TONS of junk mail. I know my dad with the same score had to practically fill a small garbage bin each week with it.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Why lose $5k-$10k when at present you have 2 great cars. I like the idea
of having another car in addition to any 911. I don't drive the 996 in bad weather.

I think if you wind up trading down to only 1 car - you're going to miss having
the second one.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 PM
mannn
Instructor

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
Why lose $5k-$10k when at present you have 2 great cars. I like the idea
of having another car in addition to any 911. I don't drive the 996 in bad weather.

I think if you wind up trading down to only 1 car - you're going to miss having
the second one.
I guess the biggest difference is the cost of owning both.... insurance, maintenance... etc
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
You haven't stated what you want to accomplish. Do you want the 991 because it looks cooler, makes you feel better, or is more comfortable? If so, then I think when the new wears off in 4 or 5 months and you are now 20k upside down after rolling in the BMW that you won't quite feel as good about it.

And driving a $70k sports car on salted roads is not going to do you or the next owner any favors. Sure they can take it but it's going to start rusting up a whole lot quicker.

The main thing you get with the newer models is increased performance and increased comfort. It doesn't sound like you are tracking it so the performance is irrelevant. And I can tell you the more comfortable a car is, the less you feel it. And I want to feel my Porsche when I drive it.

If you want to go down to a single car then sell the BMW. If you can't because you can't afford to pay the gap between loan and value, then sounds like you've already made one really poor financial decision and are looking to double down on it.

I make a lot of presumptions here and I if I'm off base then just ignore it and go on. But I'll tell you what my wife tells me when I'm about to make a stupid financial decision, your rationalization sounds perfectly reasonable, they all do. Now ignore it all and go with your "gut."
Originally Posted by b3freak
1. Sell your BMW
3. Buy an efficient, reliable daily driving you can pay with cash
4. Enjoy the Porsche Cabriolet for weekend drives, dates, family trips, etc.
5. Save up an emergency fund for Porsche repair and maintenance
6. Breathe easy knowing you're debt free while most in American are buried in financial stress.
agreed with both of these

Quick Reply: M235xi + 01' C4 Cab or a 2014 991?