Top Timing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Blue Devil
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Timing Problems

Hello,

I have a 1999 C2 Cab M6. I replaced the top last year through a local installer. Before the top was replaced, the closing mechanism worked perfectly. After the new top was installed, the timing for closing the roof it is off. Specifically, the metal header latch starts to try to engage (move up and click into he hole) about halfway through the routine ... well ahead of when the roof is close to the windshield header. The top installer said it was due to a tight new roof and over time it would loosen up and work fine. That was nearly a year ago, and there has been no change. The installer, by the way, takes no responsibility and advises me to see my local dealer to fix it.

I can close the top if I release the roof button on the console before the latch starts to engage, manually pull the top close to the front window and finally re-engage the button on the dash. This is a hit and miss procedure, though, and often taking several attempts for the latch to properly seat and close.

Has anyone also had this problem (timing of latch)? I understand it may be one of the micro switches that needs adjustment, but not sure where to begin to fix.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-28-2016, 12:24 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Good luck with a DIY fix I hope you get it. You might even get it first try, but I see a trip to the dealer in your future. They can time/retime the top with the PIWIS very $$$$ computer that you don't have. You might get it to work or break it after spending hours/days fooling with it.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 AM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would suspect that the microswitch mechanism that is connected to the latch hook is broken or a spring has come off in the mechanism. Its pretty easy to take the mechanism off of the top and to examine it. The way it is supposed to work, there is a lever that is pressed against the top of the windshield when the top gets near the closed position. The level then hits a micro switch which tells the hook its time to deploy. Its pretty easy to take the mechanism off of the Top and to check it out. Four screws if I recall.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:33 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

This has nothing to do with the tightness of the top. It's likely that the installer got the top out of sequence during the installation, and this is 100% his fault. A skilled installer should know how to deal with this.

I agree that a top re-calibration with a PIWIS or similar system is probably required at a dealer or skilled indy.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

I hate hearing this stuff. When mechanics tell me stuff like that, I tell them... "well, when it loosens up and starts to work, I'll send you a check...". As you know now, he fed you a line...another scumbag sheister mechanic - there are lots of 'em out there.
"I would suspect that the microswitch mechanism that is connected to the latch hook is broken or a spring has come off in the mechanism. Its pretty easy to take the mechanism off of the top and to examine it. The way it is supposed to work, there is a lever that is pressed against the top of the windshield when the top gets near the closed position. The level then hits a micro switch which tells the hook its time to deploy. Its pretty easy to take the mechanism off of the Top and to check it out. Four screws if I recall."
It looks like ^This^ should be your first step - hopefully it works...If not, a trip to the "stealership" may be in the cards... Good Luck
Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg1138
I would suspect that the microswitch mechanism that is connected to the latch hook is broken or a spring has come off in the mechanism. Its pretty easy to take the mechanism off of the top and to examine it. The way it is supposed to work, there is a lever that is pressed against the top of the windshield when the top gets near the closed position. The level then hits a micro switch which tells the hook its time to deploy. Its pretty easy to take the mechanism off of the Top and to check it out. Four screws if I recall.
Upon further reading, you might look into this. Check that the installer didn't break the microswitch part that signals that the top is fully deployed and ready to be "latched" into place with the hook.

Read this thread for more:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...h-plastic.html
Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Blue Devil
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. After reading the link above, I am missing the square plastic cover on the front of the top. I think it has been missing since I bought the car, but not sure. I think my first step may be to find a replacement for it.

Quick Reply: Top Timing Problems