Sponsored by:

My new '99 996 C2 is better than a 997.1TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:23 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
IMO the Numeric is the best feeling shifter I've used -- very crisp, positive action.
Originally Posted by Slakker
Whoa, that looks freakin awesome. I take it it's worth the money? What other mods did you do?
Worth the money?

Beats me, but the shift feel is outstanding. The 997 shifter is very good and a lot less expensive, but I haven't tried anything that feels quite like the Numeric.

Before you mess with shifters, though, replace your engine mounts. You'd be amazed what a difference it'll make, even if you just get a new set of OEM mounts. I have a cab and got the Torque Solutions semi-solid mounts, but ended up swapping them out as I thought they were too harsh. I'm sure a semi-solid mount would be fine in a coupe.

In the few years I've had the car it's been mostly preventative maintenance, plus some convenience and longevity-related stuff:

-- LN deep sump kit and stainless baffle
-- LN spin-on filter adapter and magnetic drain plug
-- Center radiator (helps on the highway, no difference around town)
-- Zunsport radiator grilles
-- T96 steering wheel (smaller and thicker)
-- Aftermarket xenon headlights (upgrade over stock halogens)
-- Aftermarket LED taillights
-- Kenwood double DIN nav system
-- Gentex auto dim mirror w/homelink

Not installed yet:
-- Fabspeed mufflers and tips
-- Numeric Racing shift cables

Considering:
-- SmartTOP for one-touch top operation
-- ExtendMySeat extended driver's seat brackets

Also, my car came with 17" wheels which I replaced with 18" Porsche Sport Designs and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

FWIW, you might want to consider some type of radiator screen once you've cleaned out your radiators. I got the Zunsport grilles because I didn't like the look of the DIY gutter-guard solution, but you can't beat the price of the DIY job. Customcargrills.com sells some nice mesh if you want to go a step up from the Home Depot stuff.

The auto-dim mirror may seem silly, but IMO it's a great upgrade. I got it because I wanted Homelink (garage door opener), plus it's a little bigger than the stock mirror and (of course) adds auto dim and a compass. The wiring is dead simple (12v switched, 12v constant, and ground) and you can get everything you need on eBay. This is the best adapter I've come across to hand a wedge mount mirror on the Porsche button:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121689633282

The mirror is a Gentex 453. I can't remember what mine came out of (a Hyundai, maybe?), but I found one with an amber compass to match the rest of the car's lighting.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 AM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

-- Gentex auto dim mirror w/homelink

The auto-dim mirror may seem silly, but IMO it's a great upgrade. I got it because I wanted Homelink (garage door opener), plus it's a little bigger than the stock mirror and (of course) adds auto dim and a compass. The wiring is dead simple (12v switched, 12v constant, and ground) and you can get everything you need on eBay. This is the best adapter I've come across to hand a wedge mount mirror on the Porsche button:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121689633282

The mirror is a Gentex 453. I can't remember what mine came out of (a Hyundai, maybe?), but I found one with an amber compass to match the rest of the car's lighting.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a good addition. I checked their site and they didn't state that they had a model for my '01 cab. Your customization is smart. I will chase them down for a fit.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:39 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

@Kob - Great Info!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcc
That sounds like a good addition. I checked their site and they didn't state that they had a model for my '01 cab. Your customization is smart. I will chase them down for a fit.
For a cab, you need to run the wiring up from the phone connector in the center console. For a coupe, you can get everything you need from the dome light and sunroof switch.

I have a cab, so I made up a little wiring harness out of three-conductor 18-gauge wire. I ran it from the center console under the dash, up the A-pillar, and across the top of the windshield.

If you do a search you can find a few posts on this mod ... they were useful to me when I did mine.

I have a couple pics of my install someplace. I'll post them if I can find them.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

The List Part 1

OK, the preliminary list of maintenance/upgrades is finalized and purchased (except for AOS, emailing PO to see if it was replaced during IMS/RMS/Clutch.)

1. Durametric Pro
2. Oil filter adapter kit and DT40 oil
3. Numeric SSK
4. Porsche Water pump (composite blades)
5. AOS
6. Rennline Tunable Engine Mounts

I'm think I'm going to hold off on suspension for awhile. Is there anything else I should be considering?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@slakker production date 4/98 on mine. Rumor says the ealier 99's are/have been the most reliable
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jscaramella
@slakker production date 4/98 on mine. Rumor says the ealier 99's are/have been the most reliable
Nice!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there anything else I should be considering?
Lol, this question is a very slippery slope with varied answers.

Welcome and glad you're getting to experience a rwd non-psm mk1 car which is the lightest and closest feeling to an air cooled without all the headaches.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
Welcome and glad you're getting to experience a rwd non-psm mk1 car which is the lightest and closest feeling to an air cooled without all the headaches.
Thanks! I've been amazed by how fun it is. I wish I could say I planned it all along but I just totally lucked into it being the best deal on a well maintained 996C2.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:41 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The List Part 1

OK, the preliminary list of maintenance/upgrades is finalized and purchased (except for AOS, emailing PO to see if it was replaced during IMS/RMS/Clutch.)

1. Durametric Pro
2. Oil filter adapter kit and DT40 oil....HOW ABOUT THE FILTER?
3. Numeric SSK
4. Porsche Water pump (composite blades).
5. AOS
6. Rennline Tunable Engine Mounts

#7. magnetic oil drain plug
#8. new t-stat
#9. new coolant tank cap (if you still have the old version). is current tank still good?
#10. new serp belt
Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kromdom
#7. magnetic oil drain plug #8. new t-stat #9. new coolant tank cap (if you still have the old version). is current tank still good? #10. new serp belt

Thx for the reply!

#7 Sorry for the vagueness, the adapter kit includes the filter and mag drain plug.
#8 according to PO, it has a 160 thermostat within the last two years. How often should this be replaced?
#9 how can I tell on cap?
#10 Serp looks practically new.

Thx again.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Overheated on way home today. Luckily was near enough to my driveway to put it neutral and coast it in. Wish I had turned it off immediately but I let it idle for about 5-10 seconds while coasting and then shut it off in the driveway. Here's a picture of towing it up to the garage. Let the "experience" begin!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 05:45 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Thx for the reply!

#7 Sorry for the vagueness, the adapter kit includes the filter and mag drain plug.
#8 according to PO, it has a 160 thermostat within the last two years. How often should this be replaced?
#9 how can I tell on cap?
#10 Serp looks practically new.

Thx again.
For the t-stat: my indy believes in changing it with the pump.
For the cap: check if yours has a part # ending in 4 (latest version) and will most likely be BLUE. Pic below snagged from the net:

Old 03-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kromdom
For the t-stat: my indy believes in changing it with the pump. For the cap: check if yours has a part # ending in 4 (latest version) and will most likely be BLUE. Pic below snagged from the net:

Mines blue but looks like a knock off. Adding to list.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 PM
kromdom
Drifting

when you say "overheated"...did your temps climb to the "red" zone? or red icon in the dash display? if the latter, low coolant can "trigger" the icon. best of luck.

Quick Reply: My new '99 996 C2 is better than a 997.1TT