Sponsored by:

New Key Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Apis Mellifera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key Options

I'm approaching my first year anniversary of 996 ownership... so, noob.

I have one functional key for my car and it's a 6+ hour drive to a dealer and back. I'd like to have an extra key, but I'm not likely to have time for that drive anytime soon. I have an extra key blade and was wondering if there is any reason I couldn't take the trim ring off the ignition switch and permanently attach the transducer "pill" to the switch. Obviously, this defeats the anti-theft feature, but it would allow for the use of other keys.

Also, can I get a key buy mail or does the car need to be present at the dealer.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:52 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would phone the dealer nearest you and ask them exactly how. Best of luck.
P.S. Most likely, your car will need to be physically present to get the new spare programmed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...1-porsche.html
Old 03-25-2016, 09:58 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

When you say one functioning key, what do you mean? Do you have another key? There are two parts to the key that need programmed.

You can get key fobs on ebay - and keys in the post in the UK will make you a blade and ship it to you.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Apis Mellifera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a key that starts the car, but the transmitter doesn't lock/unlock the car remotely. I have another key that made with a Keys in the Post blade and an ebay fob (no pill) that works as a manual key to lock/unlock and turn the ignition, but won't start the car. I have a third key with pill that won't start the car nor does the remote work.

So only one starts the car, none remote lock/unlock.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:21 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

An indy with a PIWIS can program it. Maybe one closet than the dealer?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:59 AM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgjks6
An indy with a PIWIS can program it. Maybe one closet than the dealer?
My indy has a PIWIS, but they recommended that I take it to the local dealership. While they *can* do it, they say it's just easier to use the dealer, and the cost would be about the same.

Fortunately for me, the dealer is close-by. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera
I have an extra key blade and was wondering if there is any reason I couldn't take the trim ring off the ignition switch and permanently attach the transducer "pill" to the switch. Obviously, this defeats the anti-theft feature, but it would allow for the use of other keys.
I'd say that this would probably work. This is what they do to install aftermarket remote start systems.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Yea, I've been down this road before too Apis. Since key FOBs have become more sophisticated in their ability to control many aspects of the car in addition to anti-theft components, it has become more troublesome and costly to replace them... heck, I can remember the days when you'd walk into any hardware store and get a new replacement cut right before your eyes. Nowadays, you got to either take you car to the dealership, provide the official title, and proof of identification to program new keys. That's one reason I wince when I hear my wife say, "Hunni, I lost my keys again!" Yikes!!!

Quick Reply: New Key Options