Sponsored by:

Convertible Clamshell Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:15 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Clamshell Problem

My clamshell started binding at the right side latch when trying to open - essentially stuck in place at that one latch while the others operated normally. I can open it by hand easily by pulling the clamshell back, but it will not unlatch and move on its own.

I opened it up and found the slider pin and slider pin washer unattached. Is there a simple way to get the pin back where it belongs? Or is this going to require replacing the entire assembly... Thanks.

Pic of Pin removed from bracker:
Name:  IMG_20160324_123701392.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  357.9 KB

Pic of Bracket missing pin:
Name:  IMG_20160324_123306388.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  191.8 KB

Last edited by greenjt; 03-24-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: deleted pic
Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

About 5 years ago when I was having problems with my cab top I found pieces had fallen off in the same area as yours. I remember fixing one part by using a simple paper clip. Put the top in 'service position' and check on the opposite side. There maybe some other parts still missing or fallen down. This is the first year (so far) that my top has worked first time every time. These tops can be a Royal PITA at times. I still have my fingers crossed. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:32 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by greenjt
My clamshell started binding at the right side latch when trying to open - essentially stuck in place at that one latch while the others operated normally. I can open it by hand easily by pulling the clamshell back, but it will not unlatch and move on its own. I opened it up and found the slider pin and slider pin washer unattached. Is there a simple way to get the pin back where it belongs? Or is this going to require replacing the entire assembly... Thanks. Pic of Pin removed from bracker: Pic of Bracket missing pin:
I would remove the entire assembly (both sides and the center drive mechanism are all one piece). Clean, re grease, and repair the pin. Don't move the top while its apart. I wouldn't recommend operating the unit in the current condition. You'll end up binding one of the Bowden cables and wrecking the whole works.

I had a similar problem a while back. Here's a link with details and pics that might be useful
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...more-pics.html
Old 03-26-2016, 01:57 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without disassembling anything, I reinserted the pin into the correct spot and tapped it into place with a small hammer. The clamshell now operates flawlessly and after several cycles, the pin has not moved. I will periodically do a visual check to see if they pic is coming back out, but for now it appears to be a simple and effective fix.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:49 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I would remove the entire assembly (both sides and the center drive mechanism are all one piece). Clean, re grease, and repair the pin. Don't move the top while its apart. I wouldn't recommend operating the unit in the current condition. You'll end up binding one of the Bowden cables and wrecking the whole works.

I had a similar problem a while back. Here's a link with details and pics that might be useful
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...more-pics.html
just read about your entire ordeal from a few years back. so impressed man! guys like you make this forum a great place for us dilettantes. thanks!

Quick Reply: Convertible Clamshell Problem